Elvis reccomendation needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Elvis reccomendation needed

Celtic Bob
01-14-2005, 05:24 AM
I am not too familiar with Elvis' work. The only cd in my collection is his "Greatest Jukebox Hits". What other 2-3 discs should I get? I have noticed several versions of allot of them. Which versions are better or does it really matter?
thanks
b.

Mr MidFi
01-14-2005, 06:52 AM
For my money, Armed Forces is the one to have if you're having only one, especially the recent remaster. This Year's Model and My Aim Is True are also can't-miss classics.

Oh, wait. You meant the other Elvis, didn't you? Never mind.

nobody
01-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Depends on what you're looking for, but here are a few suggestions...

Elvis on Sun
Recently released collection of his Sun recordings. These are the old rockabilly, high energy records that made him a star and are a big part of his appeal.

Elvis the #1s
Year or two ago release of 40 of his #1 hits. remastered collections gives you most all of his biggest RCA hits in a nice package with pretty good sound.

His Hand in Mine
Gospel Elvis. If you want to hear how he did in the gospel realm, quite good in my opinion although I'm hardly objective, this is a good one.

From Elvis in Memphis
Mid period Elvis that I've been listening to a lot lately. It was put out in 1969, right after his comeback special and is a great example of his mid-period stuff. Soulful, r&b/country style record with a solid back-up band and good songs.

Elvis Country
This one lets you hear Elvis take on country music with a healthy dose of western swing and rock.

Aloha from Hawaii
This one is the vegas style Elvis just before he pretty well totally lost it. If you're interested in his late era stuff, this one is good.

That's a pretty good selection. I'm sure you won't want them all, but those should cover most of the bases, depending what you're looking for.

Celtic Bob
01-14-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm thinking a cd from each era (minus gospel and country). So far I am looking at...
Early - Elvis at Sun
- Elvis Presley
- 56 (Cd from a couple years back)
Mid - ???? No idea here
Late - Moody Blue (Does this exit on cd with the original LP cover?

nobody
01-14-2005, 08:56 AM
I'd say the from Elvis in Memphis should cover the middle era pretty well. His first, self-titled for RCA is a great choice you've got down there.

Moody Blue's on CD with bonus tracks and all the orioginal songs. I think they altered the cover, but I'm not sure.

Celtic Bob
01-14-2005, 09:39 AM
I just ordered....
Elvis at Sun
Moody Blue (showed a remaster with bonus tracks AND original cover, hopefully correct)
Love,Elvis (New compilation out)

Looking for the self titled RCA with not much luck. Amazon.ca hasn't got the 2005 ReIssue listed and MyMusic.ca has it listed with no price or "Add To Cart" feature. :(

Any idea where to get the original "A Little Less Conversation"? I just borrowed the 3 box sets and it's not there. Ya would think on 15 cd's it'd be there.

Davey
01-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Man, I've always loved Elvis Is Back! What a nice album and that great 1960 Living Stereo sound. I think it was DCC and Steve Hoffman who mastered it for the mid 90s reissue on heavy vinyl and it sounds like Elvis is truly in the building. Great reissue. Looks like the latest CD remaster has a bunch more tracks from the same sessions. Hmmm, might have to check that out myself. Anyone else love this one?

Celtic Bob
01-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks, I'll add these to my "Wishlist".
b.

Celtic Bob
01-18-2005, 04:35 AM
Are the 99 remastered versions of "Elvis Is Back" and "From Elvis In Memphis" good versions or should I hold out and wait to see if they get redone? The EIB cd does not have the "Living Stereo" on the cover or the RCA Victor logo. Which are the best versions to get?
tks
b.

Mike
01-18-2005, 05:51 AM
I've got the 2 Steve Hoffman remasters 'Elvis is Back' and '24 Karat Hits' on gold CD's and I can vouch for the quality of those.

I've compared the sound of some tracks from 24 Karat Hits with the recent RCA remasters from the late 90's and I personally preferred the Hoffmann sounds which are warmer and not so harsh as the RCA ones.

Cheers
Mike

Celtic Bob
01-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Final question on this......
Are these remasters (99 and 00) better sounding then the versions on the "Essentials" boxes or are they exactly the same?
thanks
b.