The SYNERGY of OSI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The SYNERGY of OSI

MasterCylinder
01-14-2005, 05:23 AM
So after buying three new CDs each of Chroma Key and Fate's Warning, I have decided that none of the 6 are as good as the OSI project.

Moore's YOU GO NOW and Fate's FWX are the best of each group and both are very good. I could have done completely without the other 4 purchases.

IMHO, the OSI project is superior to all these releases -- it must be a synergy thing, you know, 1+1+1=4.

For those interested enough to sort through an OSI project day-to-day diary written by Portnoy, go here:

http://www.osiband.com/background.php?show=diary

If you own the "Limited Version" of OSI, be sure to read Portnoy's diary amendment -- this is the most fascinating section because the bonus materials contain the original tapes from the week spent actually on the basic rehearsals and in the recording studio.
Then the tapes are "transformed" by Kevin Moore into the final production that you hear as the OSI..........an amazing difference. It is a real hoot to hear the original tapes long after you have become accustomed to hearing the final release -- it gives you a sense of how Kevin Moore operates in the studio.............fun stuff.

This is what Portnoy reveals in his diary amendment.........he is stating that the final release is a big surprise and sounds nothing like he thought it might after he had finished his sections of the recording project.

Dave_G
01-14-2005, 06:16 AM
I have the OSI cd and it's pretty good but it doesn't blow me away.

I do like Portnoy though, he's quite good, eh?

Dave

Dusty Chalk
01-14-2005, 08:44 AM
I agree (with MC) -- it was pretty magical, what happened on that disk.

Troy
01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I like OSI a lot. It took some time to gow on me and find it's a great roadtrip driving disc. I have a CD-R only (of both discs). Perhaps I need to shell out for it. I still see it in stores.

I found a cheap used copy of the new Chroma Key album. Played it 5 times and resold it a few days ago. Too low key, downbeat. There were no songs on there.

I do think though, that the first 2 Chroma Key CD's are about half excellent. Again, the "songs" are really great, but it's the "soundscapey" stuff with the found vocals that fall down for me. MC, hang on to those and get to know them.

DarrenH
01-14-2005, 11:22 AM
So after buying three new CDs each of Chroma Key and Fate's Warning, I have decided that none of the 6 are as good as the OSI project.

Moore's YOU GO NOW and Fate's FWX are the best of each group and both are very good. I could have done completely without the other 4 purchases.

IMHO, the OSI project is superior to all these releases -- it must be a synergy thing, you know, 1+1+1=4.

The OSI project album was indeed very good. I've had this thing for what, 2 years now. It was released in January of 2003 if I'm not mistaken. Hey, don't forget Steven Wilson's contributions. His role wasn't huge but what he did contribute was good. Anyway, the efforts from all parties involved made this a wonderful and unique album. The fact they are still maintaining a dedicated website may indicate another OSI collaboration in the future. I hope so.

I'm not much of a Fates Warning fan. I once had "No Exit" and promptly sold it. Released in 1988, it had that very dated 80's hair metal sound. Put me off right away. Then I tried their 2000 release titled "Disconnected". The music was better but still didn't hold my interest for very long. I'm reluctant to try anything else from them.

I can't believe you didn't like "Dead Air For Radios". That's Moore's best stuff imo. I'm reluctant to buy the new Chroma Key. I'd like to preview it first before I plunk down any money.

Darren