Cartridge Problem? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Problem?

newlpguy
01-13-2005, 07:49 PM
I just eBayed a Denon DP-23F turntable with a Grado Black cartridge installed and I have it connected to the phono pre-amp of a Sony STR-D990. I aligned the cartridge, but fairly high level clear tones, like vocals and horns, seem to be clipping (badly), regardless if I use tracking force of anywhere from 1 to 3g (Grado recommends 1~2). Is my cartridge damaged?

Ray H
01-13-2005, 09:09 PM
I did a quick check of my "Music Direct" catalog. Their listed MM cartridges spec'd around 3mV to 5mV - Grado was listed as 5mV and nominally 1.5 gm down force. While that output is at the upper end for MM cartridges, it shouldn't be overloading your Sony STR-D990. What I'm wondering is whether your "new" Denon DP-23F has its own built-in (switchable) phono pre-amp. Look for a switch on your turntable rear or underside to disable any built-in pre-amp and switch it out. Another possibility - does your Sony STR-D990 have both MC and MM phono inputs? If you're plugged into the MC, you'll overload bigtime. If either scenario is in play you'll have trouble. If neither is in play, then I'm stumped. Hopefully someone who's more familiar with your components will step up to the plate here. Good luck.

Addendum: Is the Grado new or used? If used, any chance your stylus is damaged? You may be getting tracking error with a bum stylus on heavily modulated passages. (If so, you may have irreperably damaged the discs you've already played.)

dean_martin
01-14-2005, 04:26 PM
I just eBayed a Denon DP-23F turntable with a Grado Black cartridge installed and I have it connected to the phono pre-amp of a Sony STR-D990. I aligned the cartridge, but fairly high level clear tones, like vocals and horns, seem to be clipping (badly), regardless if I use tracking force of anywhere from 1 to 3g (Grado recommends 1~2). Is my cartridge damaged?

Maybe you can check for stylus damage with a magnifying glass. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what to look for. Post over in the Analog forum. It takes a while for the regulars to respond, but there are some knowledgeable folks over there.

newlpguy
01-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I did a quick check of my "Music Direct" catalog. Their listed MM cartridges spec'd around 3mV to 5mV - Grado was listed as 5mV and nominally 1.5 gm down force. While that output is at the upper end for MM cartridges, it shouldn't be overloading your Sony STR-D990. What I'm wondering is whether your "new" Denon DP-23F has its own built-in (switchable) phono pre-amp. Look for a switch on your turntable rear or underside to disable any built-in pre-amp and switch it out. Another possibility - does your Sony STR-D990 have both MC and MM phono inputs? If you're plugged into the MC, you'll overload bigtime. If either scenario is in play you'll have trouble. If neither is in play, then I'm stumped. Hopefully someone who's more familiar with your components will step up to the plate here. Good luck.

Addendum: Is the Grado new or used? If used, any chance your stylus is damaged? You may be getting tracking error with a bum stylus on heavily modulated passages. (If so, you may have irreperably damaged the discs you've already played.)

Thanks for looking into this, Ray. Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that all input metering I have, the spectrum analyzer on my EQ (patched via "tape 2 monitor" on the STR-D990) and the input metering on the D990 itself, show no overload at the input. I did notice I get a bigger gain than I expected out of the D990's phono pre-amp, but I have significant headroom in the line-level signal path.

I'm afraid you may be correct in that the stylus is bad. When receiving it, I saw some side curvature in the stylus arm and straightened it. Maybe it is irreparably damaged. I think I need to convince my wife that I need to buy a new cartridge in the interest of saving heirloom records. :) Yes, the table and cartridge are all used, and I suspect the damage was either overlooked or lied about by the previous owner. The price of a new Grado is a small price to pay to ensure I'm not damaging my LP collection.
Thanks again!

newlpguy
01-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Maybe you can check for stylus damage with a magnifying glass. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what to look for. Post over in the Analog forum. It takes a while for the regulars to respond, but there are some knowledgeable folks over there.

Thanks Dean - I'll look into both of your suggestions - a closer (magnified) look at the stylus, and posting in the Analog forum.
Thanks!

newlpguy
02-22-2005, 07:07 PM
I thought I ought to tack on the conclusion of this thread. I gave in and got a new Grado. BIG difference! It was the used cartridge. I got advice from the 'analog' forum from someone saying that if you get a used turntable, throw out the cartridge and get a new one to start with. He was right.
I am now a vinyl believer. I have heard soundstaging from this Grado/Denon setup that I've never heard from anything digital through my system!
Thanks for everyone's advice!
newlpguy

royphil345
02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Glad it worked out for you!!!

I just saw two direct-drive turntables on eBay that were advertised as having brand new belts installed. You just can't trust some of these eBay sellers!!!