Anyone planning any upgrades for 2005? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning any upgrades for 2005?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-13-2005, 05:48 PM
It looks like this year will be the year for major hometheater upgrades. I haven't really upgraded anything in the last 3 years(except to replace a DVD player that bit the dust), as the system I am using was only a temporary system. But this year I will be moving into house, and I am preparing for that move. Here are the upgrades I am planning, and everyone could share their upgrade plans.

Reciever- I have decided to keep my TXDS-777 THX receiver until probably next year, as I want to upgrade when Dts lossless HD suite, and Dolby Digital plus chips are available in receivers. I really do not want to get a new receiver only to find it would not be compatible with Blue Ray or HD-DVD audio formats.

Speakers-Here is where the biggest change will probably come. My current speakers are all custom jobbers. They are the best sounding horn hybrid speakers that I have heard in years. Unfortortunately they are WAY too big to look nice in the new house living room. I have four of these speakers in the front L/R position, and the rear L/R position. These speakers really excel in the bass department(flat to 20hz, and can play a 20hz sinewave at a measured 102 db while sitting 5ft from any wall), so I decided to get my buddy who works at Klipsch to remove the midrange and high frequency horns, strengthen and seal the enclosure, and turn these speakers into subwoofers. Four 15" subs that can play below 20hz, makes you wanna silivate to death!
So to replace these great speakers in my system I have been looking at klipsch's line(I love horn hybrids). I'll make up my mind which I wanna get pretty soon

EQ-I currently have three MEQ-2300 by alesis for my mains and surrounds. I'll probably keep these, and add a BFD to tame the acoustical tsunami those four 15" subs will create.

Video and audio sources- I currently have a high end Sony SACD/DVD-V player, Sony 5 disc CD player, Panasonic 5 disc DVD player, and a Samsung 12" portable DVD player, I am not going to buy anything else new until blue ray or HD-DVD rolls out. I will not be a early adopter like I was for D-VHS. I do not want to be stuck with another useless video players, so I will wait to see what shakes out, and then make my decision.

Television.- Since I haven't seen one digital based television(plasma, LCD, LYCOS, DLP, DILA) that I have really like for critical viewing, I decided to go with front projection. However I need something for everyday viewing, so I have had my eye on a 60" flatscreen plasma that would hang over the fireplace, mount my screen for the projection so that if comes down in front of the plasma. I have decided to pull my Sony G90 projector, and stewartfilm screen out of storage for more critical viewing.

Putting this all together is the exciting part for me. I haven't really made up my mind if I am going to set up my system at my new house, or keep my apartment(VERY cheap rent) and use it as a studio. I guess when I make up my mind, some of this will change.

Anyone else planning major upgrades?

Worf101
01-13-2005, 08:56 PM
After reading your list of upgrades I've only one leetle question... Will you adopt me???!!!! Please I know I'm a little long in da teefes but... you should share all dat sonic goodness with the less fortunate... as in me!!! :D

I promise to behave.. I won't walk round the house nekid... no scratchin in front of company.. I'll wash my hands free of grees and bbq sauce before handling any records, components or CD's. I eat a lot but don't fart much...

Think of it as charity woik... for the less sonically gifted...

Da "darn jealous of you" Worfster....
:D

kbethune
01-14-2005, 05:57 AM
Hi there.

I recently acquired a MINT condition Infinity CC-3 center (replaces my cheap CC-1) to complement my Infinity Overture 2's (fronts) and Infinity RS-5's (rears) and Velodyne CT-80. I drive it all w/ a HK DPR 1001 Digital Path Receiver w/ DVD 22. Speaker system looks very handsome all around. Great bang for the buck.

I plan on acquiring a flat panel 50" HDTV once I graduate from B-school. I like what I read about Pioneer's 50" Plasma, but am hoping some of the more advanced LCD flat screens become available by May/June timeframe. My wife agreed to let me build a TV room/theater room, so she can rid the TV & electronics from the nice living room. This will be my graduation gift!

kexodusc
01-14-2005, 06:11 AM
Sir Terrence:
I'm in total agreement with you...Your system is just simply out dated, horribly inadequate, and in desperate need of an overhaul.

In thanking you for all the contributions you provide to this forum, I'd be more than happy to lend you my truck to take some of that old equipment, nay, JUNK off your hands so you don't have to worry about it anymore...Do you REALLY want to lug 4 oversized subs up and downs stairs, around doors, across town, etc? Didn't think so...and that 15" center channel...well that's just gots ta go...
I'm here for ya, big guy!

I see a sweet, bright silver, all-in-one HTIB in your future, Sir Terrence...

Yessir....2005 is indeed the year of upgrades for myself as well. As some may know, I'm in the process of upgrading my home theater...The Paradigm Studio 40's mains, and 4 Studio 20's are slowly being replaced by none other than Ar.com's own DIY speakers by Ed Frias.

The improvement is substantial, IMO, and since I find myself more and more listening to multi-channel audio (or even CD's in my living room on this system), I felt a slightly more pleasing sound was needed. The price can't be beat. I'm quite amazed with the wide, deep soundstage these little things throw out. The imaging is every bit as good, though I can really hear a more natural separation of instruments, and all round "realism" during music. +/-2 dB down to 45 Hz, I can't believe how much bass this 2-way cranks out. They're about as efficient as the 40's, if not more so. Very, very pleased with the result, and I do believe I may bought my last commercial speaker!!! Though building 6 and has been taking me forever. I've stuck with a simple cherry veneer for finishing, a dark cherry/rosenut colour, much like the B&W 703's. I hope to have the 2nd pair done this weekend, and the final 2 done by the end of the month. The guy buying the rest of my Studios is getting impatient waiting for me.

For the center, I just bought an extensively modified BIC America DV-62CLRS (new crossover, measured and tested drivers, etc, see my recent reviews) straight from designer Ed Frias...I can't say it's quite as good as the Studio CC it replaced, but it's pretty close. The bass response however is much better and really fills a gap the Studio CC had in my room below 60 Hz...Could never get that thing to sound as good as it did in store. This really improves the front soundstaging in multi-channel audio, which was a perfect compromise for me. It doesn't have quite the level of detail and smoothness of the Studio CC, but it definitely sounded less harsh and more natural than the CC-370 I borrowed, and is the only speaker I know of below $500 that actually uses 1/2" MDF instead of cheaper, flimsier particleboards.

I won't say what I paid for this, but it was a steal, and it's voicing is perfectly matched to the EFE ar.com mains. Unfortunately, it's UGLIER than Prince Charles in the morning! I'm going to rebuild a cabinet for it out of 3/4" MDF and experiment with polyfill, which should further improve it's performance, if not at least match the others.

Next up is a 15" subwoofer...got the driver (15" Titanic MKIII) and amp (1000 watt, 4 ohm plate amp w/ Parametric Eq) already picked out, just gonna try a few cabinet ideas and go with it...

The reciever is good enough for now, RX-V1400, and I've still got 3 power amps, connected to it...2 Adcom GFA-535II's and an AudioSource AMP/ONE which is my favorite little piece of audiogear because it hammers and was a dirt cheap find!!! Sounds pretty nice too, great little entry level power amp for people looking to get into separates.

My brother wants his Denon DVD player back so I see a new universal player in the near future as well.

Finally, I think this spring I'll pull the plug on a new TV...probably just a basic 51" Toshiba or Hitachi HDTV.

2003 saw me redo the stereo, Vifa/Scan-Speak floorstanders and a new Rotel Integrated...seems odd year numbers end up costing me a lot of dough! If there's any cash left over, I'm suppose to be gettin' married this fall too...we'll see.

Tarheel_
01-14-2005, 09:39 AM
sounds like a heck-of-a-system...forget the apartment though, once you move into the house and can really push the volume....well, you'll never miss the apartment.

I also recall you considering replacing your speakers with Revel's. I remember because i own a pair and love'em.

Anyway, in 05 i plan to add a bookshelf speaker (M20) and finally have a center speaker. After some disccusions on this board, i feel the investment is worth it.

Gongrats on the new place and once you get settled, invite everyone over for movies and martinis....oh, well with those 15" subs...we better stick to huge beer mugs!

It looks like this year will be the year for major hometheater upgrades. I haven't really upgraded anything in the last 3 years(except to replace a DVD player that bit the dust), as the system I am using was only a temporary system. But this year I will be moving into house, and I am preparing for that move. Here are the upgrades I am planning, and everyone could share their upgrade plans.

Reciever- I have decided to keep my TXDS-777 THX receiver until probably next year, as I want to upgrade when Dts lossless HD suite, and Dolby Digital plus chips are available in receivers. I really do not want to get a new receiver only to find it would not be compatible with Blue Ray or HD-DVD audio formats.

Speakers-Here is where the biggest change will probably come. My current speakers are all custom jobbers. They are the best sounding horn hybrid speakers that I have heard in years. Unfortortunately they are WAY too big to look nice in the new house living room. I have four of these speakers in the front L/R position, and the rear L/R position. These speakers really excel in the bass department(flat to 20hz, and can play a 20hz sinewave at a measured 102 db while sitting 5ft from any wall), so I decided to get my buddy who works at Klipsch to remove the midrange and high frequency horns, strengthen and seal the enclosure, and turn these speakers into subwoofers. Four 15" subs that can play below 20hz, makes you wanna silivate to death!
So to replace these great speakers in my system I have been looking at klipsch's line(I love horn hybrids). I'll make up my mind which I wanna get pretty soon

EQ-I currently have three MEQ-2300 by alesis for my mains and surrounds. I'll probably keep these, and add a BFD to tame the acoustical tsunami those four 15" subs will create.

Video and audio sources- I currently have a high end Sony SACD/DVD-V player, Sony 5 disc CD player, Panasonic 5 disc DVD player, and a Samsung 12" portable DVD player, I am not going to buy anything else new until blue ray or HD-DVD rolls out. I will not be a early adopter like I was for D-VHS. I do not want to be stuck with another useless video players, so I will wait to see what shakes out, and then make my decision.

Television.- Since I haven't seen one digital based television(plasma, LCD, LYCOS, DLP, DILA) that I have really like for critical viewing, I decided to go with front projection. However I need something for everyday viewing, so I have had my eye on a 60" flatscreen plasma that would hang over the fireplace, mount my screen for the projection so that if comes down in front of the plasma. I have decided to pull my Sony G90 projector, and stewartfilm screen out of storage for more critical viewing.

Putting this all together is the exciting part for me. I haven't really made up my mind if I am going to set up my system at my new house, or keep my apartment(VERY cheap rent) and use it as a studio. I guess when I make up my mind, some of this will change.

drseid
01-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I am switching from an Outlaw 950 pre/pro to a Cary Cinema 6. I am hoping the Cary will tame some of the brightness I am getting with the Outlaw, and to shore up my two-channel listening as well. I also would like some better ease of use (as the Outlaw had a cumbersome remote and user interface). I will say the Cary better do this, as it costs almost 4 times as much!

I also am switching from using my Denon-1600 DVD-A player as my CD player, to a dedicated CD player... the Consonance CD-120. I just came back from THE Show in Vegas, and the whole Consonance room was unbelieveable... I was so convinced on the sound, I bought one of the demo units.

I believe that both these new purchases will make a huge difference in my system. I will know in a week if I am correct.

---Dave

Woochifer
01-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey T -

You need a sublease for your apartment? :D

I celebrated 2004 by not changing a single thing on my system, after three years of incremental add-ons and upgrades. 2005 is still up in the air, because I think a lot of things in the market are up in the air, particularly on the HDTV side.

I thought that I would have upgraded to HDTV by now, but I'm still waiting on the flat panel prices to drop further. A year ago, news articles were predicting that LCOS would gain traction by 2005, that LCD and plasma prices would tumble by half, etc. Obviously, things happened a lot more incrementally than those predictions. Now, I'm reading about the debut of SED screens by the end of this year, big price tumbles ahead for flat panel TVs, and the prediction that LCD will achieve price parity with plasma for big screens. We'll see how it goes.

And in a way, I'm also glad that I've chosen to put off my migration over to HDTV because the connection standards are now going to HDMI. At this time last year, very few DVD players had HDMI outputs and not all flat panel TVs had digital inputs. Now, it's very commonplace, and receivers are starting to incorporate HDMI switching as well. This might be an important point because with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on the horizon, there's been pressure to eliminate analog HD inputs/outputs from TVs and HD devices, or at least force the devices to downconvert the resolution to 480p when using an analog connection. Once again, it's piracy paranoia driving all this.

So, basically my upgrade priorities have not changed, since I have not made any changes to my system in over a year.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=16&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Basically, the upgrades will probably occur in quick succession because they're somewhat related.

1. HDTV
2. Universal format player w/ HDMI output
3. HD satellite receiver

I don't think the upgrades will occur until at least the middle of the year, if not later, because I still think that the market has been changing very quickly, and I want things to settle in a bit more before I make the jump.

The audio upgrades probably won't start until well after HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have had their shot at the market. Aside from upgrading amplification, I'd also look to upgrade to a processor that can decode the upcoming DD+ and DTS-HD formats that will be part of the mix with the high res video formats, and do HDMI switching. (In the process I'd also get discrete 6.1 decoding, DTS 96/24, and DPLII, all of which I don't have on my current system)

dean_martin
01-14-2005, 01:24 PM
The audio upgrades probably won't start until well after HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have had their shot at the market. Aside from upgrading amplification, I'd also look to upgrade to a processor that can decode the upcoming DD+ and DTS-HD formats that will be part of the mix with the high res video formats, and do HDMI switching. (In the process I'd also get discrete 6.1 decoding, DTS 96/24, and DPLII, all of which I don't have on my current system)

Ok, I checked your photo in the gallery (very nice, btw) and must know whether you've swapped out the Sumiko Black Pearl. C'mon, you plainly said the Black Pearl was not very satisfying. Surely you haven't forgotten this piece!? I know the cartridge is not as sexy as the new video stuff and hi-rez audio, but I will be on the prowl for a new cart this year. This is one of the most difficult components to audition, but, imo, it can be the most satisfying. If you've upgraded since the photo, I need to know!

Woochifer
01-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Ok, I checked your photo in the gallery (very nice, btw) and must know whether you've swapped out the Sumiko Black Pearl. C'mon, you plainly said the Black Pearl was not very satisfying. Surely you haven't forgotten this piece!? I know the cartridge is not as sexy as the new video stuff and hi-rez audio, but I will be on the prowl for a new cart this year. This is one of the most difficult components to audition, but, imo, it can be the most satisfying. If you've upgraded since the photo, I need to know!

Thanx for reminding me! That blasted Sumiko's still on my turntable. As luck would have it, the needle still hasn't worn out. But, I've been meaning to bring my turntable in and have it fitted with a Grado cart. Need to first make sure that it does not audibly hum as I've heard that Grados have a tendency to do this with unshielded motors, which my turntable has.

Been happy in the past with Ortofons, but the question is do I want to go back to the OM20 that I'd used for over 10 years previously, or do I want to try something new, like one of their high output MC carts? Ugh, the cart is indeed very important, but very difficult to audition.

dean_martin
01-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanx for reminding me! That blasted Sumiko's still on my turntable.

I'm sure you appreciate being reminded that you need to spend more money. You're welcome. I'll keep an eye out for your post when you replace that thing. My latest table came with a Sumiko Oyster. It's a back, back, back, backup. Apparently, you have to spend at least $350 (maybe even $750) to get a decent sounding Sumiko. I feel like I'm in limbo on a permanent replacement. If I have to spend $350, it will be on either a wood body Grado or a Dynavector. Between $100 and $200 I'm looking at Ortofons and Denons. But I'm not sure if I'll get to hear any of these before purchase. I went with a nos Parasound for $35 (I didn't know they made carts) to hold me over until I can figure out what to do.

Here's a pic:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=485&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=501

spuppy517
01-15-2005, 11:34 PM
ok - had to edit this post cause originally I looked like acomplete tool due to lack of knowledge..... I did my homework and can now continue....... and probably still look like a tool but what can you do?

I am planning an entire overhaul in 2005. Already got the new sub (VTF2-MK2) and was planning on the receiver being next (maybe feb/march purchase). But you guys bring up a good point about Blu-Ray/ HD-DVD. According to what I just read DD+ and DTS HD won't be avail til 2006 (even tho Blu-Ray and HD DVD will have some movies avail at the end of this year - that confused me a little, those titles must have the new audio formats too) I don't really wanna have to buy another receiver in a year and half...... But then again, I don't wanna wait that long for a new one either. Ahhhh!!! Brain melting!

The receiver I am planning on buying is the HK AVR 435 (when it becomes avail). And it has a port so you can download "upgrades" off the net..... is it possible that new formats like DD+ and DTS HD would be such "downloadable upgrades"? I am pretty new at higher end equip so I am clueless as to what kind of things might be downloadable in the future. Help me - I am but a poor lost soul. :confused: :confused: :confused:

mdchambe
01-18-2005, 09:08 AM
I am switching from an Outlaw 950 pre/pro to a Cary Cinema 6. I am hoping the Cary will tame some of the brightness I am getting with the Outlaw, and to shore up my two-channel listening as well. I also would like some better ease of use (as the Outlaw had a cumbersome remote and user interface). I will say the Cary better do this, as it costs almost 4 times as much!

I also am switching from using my Denon-1600 DVD-A player as my CD player, to a dedicated CD player... the Consonance CD-120. I just came back from THE Show in Vegas, and the whole Consonance room was unbelieveable... I was so convinced on the sound, I bought one of the demo units.

I believe that both these new purchases will make a huge difference in my system. I will know in a week if I am correct.

---Dave

Dave, just wondering if you have already got rid of the outlaw 950. If not, I may be interested. Im thinking of getting into seperates and figure the 950 might be a good entry level piece.

Thanks

matt

drseid
01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Dave, just wondering if you have already got rid of the outlaw 950. If not, I may be interested. Im thinking of getting into seperates and figure the 950 might be a good entry level piece.

Thanks

matt

Hi Matt, I sent you a private message... we can discuss that way from here on out.

Thanks,

---Dave

Umrswimr
01-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Wow. You fellas want to let me know which bank you're robbing? :D Nice systems!

topspeed
01-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Basically, the upgrades will probably occur in quick succession because they're somewhat related.

1. HDTV
2. Universal format player w/ HDMI output
3. HD satellite receiver

I don't think the upgrades will occur until at least the middle of the year, if not later, because I still think that the market has been changing very quickly, and I want things to settle in a bit more before I make the jump.

...you saved me a bunch of typing ;). This is exactly what I'm doing this year although probably not until spring at the earliest. I also haven't decided on which tv format although I'm very impressed with the picture of lycos/dila, which seems to be the best compromise of the non-crt based sets. I'll also add a universal player at that time along with a HD stb. After that, my main rig will remain fixed until either something breaks or I build a dedicated two channel rig in another room.

kexodusc
01-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Wow. You fellas want to let me know which bank you're robbing? :D Nice systems!

I don't know about the other guys, but 2 months after I arrived in Canada, I robbed the Canadian Imperial Bank of Mastercard...I'll teach THEM to pre-approve an audiophile for $75,000 :D

Umrswimr
01-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't know about the other guys, but 2 months after I arrived in Canada, I robbed the Canadian Imperial Bank of Mastercard...I'll teach THEM to pre-approve an audiophile for $75,000 :D
LMAO!!!!! :D

slbenz
01-19-2005, 07:54 PM

Just upgraded my home theater speakers to a set of Magnepan 1.5s in the front and Magnepan 0.5s in the rear. Incredible detail and open sound now. My friends and family keep commenting that it is now pointless to go to the local movie theater when the sound quality in my home system is better than anything around.

01-19-2005, 08:08 PM
I don't know about the other guys, but 2 months after I arrived in Canada, I robbed the Canadian Imperial Bank of Mastercard...I'll teach THEM to pre-approve an audiophile for $75,000

I tried to tell them how wrong this would be(shaking head)

Sir Terrence:
I'm in total agreement with you...Your system is just simply out dated, horribly inadequate, and in desperate need of an overhaul.

Okay Kex, I just booked you at the comedy store bro.

In thanking you for all the contributions you provide to this forum, I'd be more than happy to lend you my truck to take some of that old equipment, nay, JUNK off your hands so you don't have to worry about it anymore...Do you REALLY want to lug 4 oversized subs up and downs stairs, around doors, across town, etc? Didn't think so...and that 15" center channel...well that's just gots ta go...
I'm here for ya, big guy!

I see a sweet, bright silver, all-in-one HTIB in your future, Sir Terrence...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo(news flash, bald headed puerto rican seen running accross the bay bridge, story at eleven)

topspeed
01-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Sir T,

Have you bought your tix to the Rose Bowl yet? I'm joining Cardinal and Gold and getting season tix just so I can be guaranteed a spot at the title game. With Leinart back and Carroll and Chow in place, we'll be the prohibitive favorite to run the table again. For this go 'round, my pals and I are getting a pimped-out RV to do some serious tail gating as the game is in our back yard. Thank God, I won't have to get on a flippin' airplane for this one (waaay too much traveling in the last few weeks). Let me know if you'd like to join us. The more drunken alumni, the better :D.

01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Sir T,

Have you bought your tix to the Rose Bowl yet? I'm joining Cardinal and Gold and getting season tix just so I can be guaranteed a spot at the title game. With Leinart back and Carroll and Chow in place, we'll be the prohibitive favorite to run the table again. For this go 'round, my pals and I are getting a pimped-out RV to do some serious tail gating as the game is in our back yard. Thank God, I won't have to get on a flippin' airplane for this one (waaay too much traveling in the last few weeks). Let me know if you'd like to join us. The more drunken alumni, the better :D.

Top,
I have been drowning in my own sorrow for days now. Got my tickets, and then I found out I had to fly to London to do some sound work on a television series for the BBC. After I slit my throat and cleaned up the blood, I managed to sell my tickets and get my money back. I haven't been this dissappointed since was 8 years old and got stuck on the elevator while rushing to my favorite kids show wonderama! Oh the humanity...........