How are Cambridge Soundworks speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How are Cambridge Soundworks speakers

swarna
01-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi,

For my first home theatre system, I am thinking of buying the following:

Speakers : Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks 108 package - 4 nos. of Newton series MC100, MC150 (center Channel) and BassCube 8S (Subwoofer)

Receiver: Yamaha HTR 5740 (6.1)

DVD player : Sony 715 (2yrs old)

Connections: DVD player – Receiver = Fibre Optic cable
Receiver – Speakers = 14 / 16 gauge cable from Cambridge Soundworks.
Subwoofer Cable: Monster Cable.

Total cost - $800-900

I have heard these speakers in their local store and they sounded good to me (atleast better than Bose small cubes). This setup is for Movie and Music (50:50 ratio).

Questions:
1. Any comments on these Cambridge Soundworks speakers?
2. Any better speakers package (5.1) in the price range of 400-500?
3. Any other comments?

Thank you in advance.

JamezHill
01-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I personally really like CSW speakers and have been very pleased with the way they sound/perform. This is your own opinion though as you will have to be the one who listens to them. If you liked the way they sounded (and your completely right regarding the Bose), they I would go for it. I have made many purchases with CSW and was never let down. With CSW, if you don't like them within I think 45 days you can send them back if anything.

midfiguy
01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Hello Swarna,

I would highly recommend CSW speakers, as I have owned some in the past and have built a few HTs for some friends/family with them. The Newton series is quite impressive with thier sound quality, built quality and the materials used in their drivers.

However, might I suggest perhaps trying to get better speakers. It sounds like you ahve a budget for speakers and are trying to get the whole package for a little budget. Instead, I suggest getting decent speakers to start, and then getting others when your funds/budget allows. More often than not, people regret making mediocre purchases in haste. For example, they recently had (the sale will come again) their top of the line Newton M80 bookshelves on sale for only $199/pr, which is an outright steal! If you were to get those, they would blow away the M100s easily and are in a different class all together.

You can pick up one of thier basscube 10 or 12s (the basscube 8 really doesn't do much at all) off ebay (sold directly from cambridge soundworks.com, just refurbished, but have never had any problems) for under $200, you'll have a killer 2.1 system. Add their S300s top of the line surrounds which are on megadeals right now for $200 and you're in much better shape.

A decent center will still cost you another $100-$200, but the total cost of this system (about $750) is miles above the one you described. Like I said, even if you can't afford everything right now, if you go for just the M80s and the sub, it will still sound better than a mediocre 5.1 system.

That's my $.03!

Mark111867
01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I own the Newton m80s and am very happy with them. As far as music goes, I don't use a sub, as they have enough low end for me. Don't use mine for home theater, so can't comment on how they work in that capacity. I thought that midfiguy's idea regarding the m80s paired with a sub was a good idea, especially since you are spliting 50/50 movies /music. By the way, I also have my m80s hooked up to a Yamaha stereo receiver and like the combo. Good luck.

swarna
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did check on M80 - they seem to quite costly now ($400 a pair) plus they would be out of stock till mid/end Feb (according to CSW website).

I liked the idea of slowly building up the system instead of buying the enire package. And I did like the solid feel of MC100 when I visited the store.

I live in an apartment so I was always considering the compact speakers instead of bookshelf. I am planning to audition M80 this week if the local store has them.

Is CSW speakers reliable / rugged? I have a toddler at home...

Mark111867
01-13-2005, 05:47 PM
The Newton speakers had a 10 year warrantee when I bought them about a year ago. You might want to ask CSW just to confirm. I haven't had any reliability issues with the m80s. The build quality is pretty impressive IMO. Also keep in mind that these speakers are pretty heavy at 28 pounds each, so if you plan on putting these on stands, just make sure that the stands are weight appropriate for the speaker. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Geoffcin
01-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi,

For my first home theatre system, I am thinking of buying the following:

Speakers : Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks 108 package - 4 nos. of Newton series MC100, MC150 (center Channel) and BassCube 8S (Subwoofer)

Receiver: Yamaha HTR 5740 (6.1)

DVD player : Sony 715 (2yrs old)

Connections: DVD player ? Receiver = Fibre Optic cable
Receiver ? Speakers = 14 / 16 gauge cable from Cambridge Soundworks.
Subwoofer Cable: Monster Cable.

Total cost - $800-900

I have heard these speakers in their local store and they sounded good to me (atleast better than Bose small cubes). This setup is for Movie and Music (50:50 ratio).

Questions:
1. Any comments on these Cambridge Soundworks speakers?
2. Any better speakers package (5.1) in the price range of 400-500?
3. Any other comments?

Thank you in advance.

CSW sells the returned speakers on Ebay for a discount. The Movieworks 208 is a big upgrade, and right in your price range;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1499&item=5742980179&rd=1