35 hz or 38 hz??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 35 hz or 38 hz???

andy13
01-13-2005, 01:19 AM
I am thinking of getting Monitor Audio's S6 speaker. The S6's lower end goes down to 38hz. The bigger brother goes down to 35 hz. My room is 11 x 14. Will this be a noticeable difference. Should I opt for the bigger one? It will be run by either a Krell KAV-400xi, a Primare A30.1 or a Musical Fidelity 3.2cr integrated.

Thanks

midfiguy
01-13-2005, 07:31 AM
I don't think it matters all that much because:

A. Chances are that niether speaker goes down to the specified frequency without a HUGE dropoff

B. Frequencies that low should be handled by a nice dedicated subwoofer

My advice would be go for the S6 and get a subwoofer with the money you save over the S8

Even a good quality 10" like an HSU VTF2 will produce some excellent deep bass

Buzz Roll
01-13-2005, 08:07 AM
A room that size does NOT need a sub. If you really have your heart set on MA, then go for the smaller size. You will get below the 38Hz range in your room. A sub with a floor stander is overkill. If MA isn't your only choice, you may want to try a pair of monitor sized speakers like a pair of Green Mountain Audio Europas, or a small floorstander like the Ohm Microwalsh. You'll get the proper balance in your room, and down the road if needed, add a sub. Those time coherent designs will really sound great with any of those amps that you're interested in.

console
01-14-2005, 01:01 PM
I am thinking of getting Monitor Audio's S6 speaker. The S6's lower end goes down to 38hz. The bigger brother goes down to 35 hz. My room is 11 x 14. Will this be a noticeable difference. Should I opt for the bigger one? It will be run by either a Krell KAV-400xi, a Primare A30.1 or a Musical Fidelity 3.2cr integrated.

Thanks

Why not go for a speaker which dosnt need at sub - and which goes down below 28 Hz ?
I have the JBL L100 and do not need a sub at any sound level. There are propably other good old JBL´s which are as good. When I play ( CD ) of music which use BassControl or similar computer modification of the bass ( try "Vouge , Madonne" will shake your house ), my single glass windos vibrates - also at a few watts. The L100 goes all the way down, and no sub is needed.

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2005, 04:11 PM
I allways woundered but can you hear the difference on a speaker that goes low as 45Hz compairing a speaker that goes 48Hz?