Wakeman the legend 2000 DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wakeman the legend 2000 DVD

Javier
01-12-2005, 02:05 PM
For a ghange i just ordered a bunch of DVD from amazon the first to show in my mailbox it this one from Rick Wakeman ( stiill waiting for Opeth ,two more from Steve Hackett, Pat metheni, transatlantic,Al Dimeola, Pat Metheny and Jean Luc Ponty and also Journey to the centre of the hearth from Rick).
Fantastic DVD music and video wise, is a solo performance just Rick on mini grand piano and the usual assorment of sinths, high points are the music from six wives ( catherine Howard heck iforgot the name of the other piece) and finally and spectacular rendition of Jane Seymour. Also some pieces from The round table and a medley of nursery rhymes treated as if they were written by Mozart, Ravel and rachmanninof.
This one is to be add to the prog dvd recs list of an anterior thread.

Dusty Chalk
01-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks. With Wakeman, especially, it's good to have the wheat sorted from the chaff.

Dave_G
01-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Hola Javier,

It is a good dvd yes but is very diffferent from most.

Have you ever seen the Nektar or Pallas dvd?

Muy bien!

Dave

BarryL
01-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Fantastic DVD music and video wise, is a solo performance just Rick on mini grand piano and the usual assorment of sinths, high points are the music from six wives ( catherine Howard heck iforgot the name of the other piece) and finally and spectacular rendition of Jane Seymour. Also some pieces from The round table and a medley of nursery rhymes treated as if they were written by Mozart, Ravel and rachmanninof.
This one is to be add to the prog dvd recs list of an anterior thread.

I have this and a few others by Wakeman, including Journey. I love to watch how beautifully Wakeman can play. The speed and control he has is astounding. His style is much different from Keith Emersons, but I don't think Emo had anything over Wakeman if you limit it to keyboard talent. Emerson had a better flare for showmanship and rock'n' roll, and was certainly more innovative than Wakeman in the overall development of progressive music, but when it comes to playing talent, I think Wakeman wins hands-down.

The Journey DVD is also good as a historical record. The two singers look a bit strange though, and don't look at all like your typical rock singers, but more like opera singers. They are both very large and stand lumbering in the center of the stage when they aren't singing. I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway.

The Metheny DVDs are killer just to see Metheny play. He has a new CD coming out any week now, and I'll see him here in Toronto in February. The most recent DVD is the worst of the three that I have on DVD. I think that the song selection is just not right. I find it very boring to watch. I really like the one that was recorded outdoors in California, called Here We Live or something like that.

The Hackett DVDs are outstanding, although I haven't seen his most recent one.