Good multi-channel audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good multi-channel audio

shokhead
01-12-2005, 07:00 AM
So i fired mine up with LA Women DVD-A and the Police Classics SACD Hybrid. What are some others that will show off the multi-channel sound?

Olivertmc
01-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Check out Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company - great multi-channel mix. Also, Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road has a pretty agressive multi-channel mix.

jasn
01-12-2005, 11:28 AM
I have GYBR and think it's great. I also have Honky Chateau, which is worth the price alone to hear Rocket Man wash over your head and around the room.

DSOTM in 5.1 is a fresh ride on a very familiar road, and Yes Fragile is fun too. Porky Tree's In Abstentia also has it's good moments, but it's Beck's Sea Change on DVD-A that I spend the most time with for two reasons: It is a new title for me so I did not already know the material by heart; and the video artwork is very cool and spacey.

With all these titles, I am actually as much impressed with the improved sound quality as I am with the novelty of hearing it in 5.1. Seeing these in BB for $15 a shot makes it harder to turn them down. I don't think I'd have as many if they were in the $25 range...

Olivertmc
01-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Jasn:

I'll have to check out Honky Chateau - I knew they were releasing it in SACD, but I didn't know when. I have Sea Change on SACD, great disc - one of my favorites (although not the most uplifting album in the world . . .).

Have you heard any of the Allman Bros. SACDs (e.g. Fillmore East or Eat a Peach)? I'm a big fan of both those albums and wondering if it is worth buying these new versions.

Two SACD's of mine with great sound quality, albeit 2-channel only, are Willie Nelson's Stardust and Thelonius Monk's Straight, No Chaser. I just wish I could play them in my car once in a while. This format sometimes is very frustrating. But I do agree that the price is right . . .

jasn
01-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I've seen the Allman Bro.s choices and am tempted myself to pick up Peach. I really wish I weren't just replicating things I already own... as remasters no less.

The Elton titles are multi-format, BTW. I listened to HC in the car last week and it sounds very good.

I have Stardust on japanese vinyl (unplayed for several years) and have been very tempted by the SACD version. It would be fum to compare. I don't own any Thelonius, so maybe I should begin there....

Thx for the recommendations. I'll try to post comments on any further purchases. Please try to do the same.

Javier
01-12-2005, 02:15 PM
So i fired mine up with LA Women DVD-A and the Police Classics SACD Hybrid. What are some others that will show off the multi-channel sound?
Queen nigths at the opera and the game are pretty good, bjork vespertine the three of them in dvd audio.
im am waiting for I robot and chicago II and V.
Others that i enjoy are Al Dimeola flesh on flesh( SACD), Erich Kunzel playing Frank Sinatra on Nelson Ridlle big band arrengements and Epics ( Telarc SACD), David Bowie Ziggy Stardust.

jasn
01-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Can anyone post a review of Nektar's Remember the Future on SACD? I still don't have it on CD and that would be a no-brainer for me if the sound is good.

Slosh
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Roxy Music - Avalon SACD is pretty good, even if it did come from a PCM master.

My fave is Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World DVD video. Not hi-rez but the DTS track sounds really good. Does your DVD player do DVD-R? If so and you're interested in "previewing' it send me a private message ;)

NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble

Dusty Chalk
01-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Blue Man Group - Audio -- center of a multi-percussionist ensemble, but enjoyable as long as you're an air drummer.

N. Abstentia
01-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Visit http://www.chuckamuck.com/music for my insight on a few.

It should be a law that everyone own Yes's Fragile on DVD-A.

jasn
01-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Look at the # of views this thread has over others with the same lifespan....

...that says a lot about the fate of the format, don't you think?

I'm new to the SACD and DVD-A game with a really inexpensive Pioneer universal player ($85? Why wouldn't you buy one?). I don't have nearly as much time for sitting down and truly enjoying the benefits of 5.1 music, but I can see myself finding the time every so often. I'd hate to see the formats die, and hope that the manufaturers and content providers keep producing 5.1 products.

BinFrog
02-01-2005, 06:21 AM
No-one has mentioned Dark Side on SACD yet? Yikes!

umapet97
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Dark Side Of the Moon,best one I've heard.
Anyone know if Killers Hotfuss available as SACD yet?