I gave my CD collection a haircut (long and rambling..) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I gave my CD collection a haircut (long and rambling..)

jasn
01-12-2005, 06:58 AM
My collection is once again filling up a rack I bought a few years ago, and I'm honestly getting tired of buying bigger ones and trying to manage this beast. (By standards around here I am sure it is puny at about 1000 titles). There's only so much room I can give it, and with DVD's butting in on the bottom shelves and the whole IPOD thing looming heavy over the industry, I have for the first time started to feel like I am no longer on a quest to grow this collection into an icon of my personality.

Well...that's a load of cr*p! I needed to do something! I had already peeled out my Jazz, Country, Classical and Holiday titles and parked them out of the way years ago. It occurred to me that I had to make room for new purchases by weeding out the chaff.

If I find an artist I like, I will usually try at least one more title from them. Many times I wind up with several titles, and many times again I realize that a lot of those earlier or later titles don't cut it and get much attention from me (think Gomez, for example, or some King's X).

So I dug into the rack and started pulling out the CDs that I am truly, truly not listening to. Even the ones that I have in there to impress friends with how "well-balanced" it is (like the Robert Johnson compilation I listened to once). I am also finally giving up on some bands that I know are heralded as great, but I just can't stand to try yet again to like (now think the Flaming Lips or Mercury Rev). In all, I boxed about 100 titles, or 10% of the collection, and put it aside to see if I miss any of them. I am not planning to trade them, at least not yet. I've come to regret some of my past trades and know that you really don't get much in return anyway.

So now I have room to grow again, for another year or so anyway, but without the pain of buying another expensive rack. And, to make the point that prompted this whole post, I see the collection much better now. As I scan the rows to pick out the 20-30 CDs I take in the car, I'm not distracted by the clunkers. I'm seeing the gems stick out without being tainted by the failures of the same artist, and realize why I loved the good title(s) in the first place.

So, my ramble is over. Anybody else ever go through this? Is it a regular event for you? Is it heresy? And what is it that makes you like The Flaming Lips anyway?

Finch Platte
01-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Yada yada yada

I'm reaching the end of my space, as well. And, like you, I've got wayyyy too much crap (I'd gladly take those old King's X discs off yer hands, tho). My packrat mentality keeps kicking in, but one of these days, I've got to whittle off the excess. Before it's too late and I have to move or something.

Or, I could just get a binder and throw those bulky cases away... that would clear up some room...

fp

Mike
01-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Storage is a major issue in my house too. I have way too much crap that's accumulated over the years, stuff you've been given (obviously no RR comps in there) stuff you buy cos it's cheap and stuff you bought thinking it would be good but sadly no. And the problem is since I've been hanging around here I think I acquire more now than ever before.

If I'm brutally honest I could weed out 75% of my collection as played it once or twice quite like it but would I miss it if it went? - of course I wouldn't admit that to the wife. I do keep just about all my comps and copies in folders but they number about 25 or so now and this weekend I'm out on the hunt for some more bookcases.

I have offloaded a number of CD's in the past, some I've regretted, but it goes against the grain with me to virtually give something away I've paid good money for. Maybe the answer is to like you've done box some up and store them away, it might be nice in a year or so to revisit them. Of course the only solution is to buy/receive less but we all know that isn't going to happen, that's why we are all here.

Cheers
Mike

Troy
01-12-2005, 07:43 AM
A few years ago I designed and built a really nice CD rack. It holds about 1100 CDs. At the time I had 800 and figured it would take me most of forever to fill it out.

http://www.designshed.com/art/shelves.pic.jpg
It looked like this when I first installed it.

2 years later, it was full. I didn't forsee the proliferation of CD-R technology. I'm up to over 1500 discs now counting comps and mix CDs. I started storing some of the CD-Rs in my office a few years ago.

Just a week ago I moved ALL the CD-Rs out and shelved them in my office. Now I have a little room to grow in the big living room rack. There could be up to 500 titles in there I could part with in a pinch.

I have a big box in the garage and a stack in my office of stuff for trade. Over 100 titles. I take a lot of chances when I CD shop. I come home with a lot of titles I immediately dislike and these go right in the trade pile. Some things I keep for a while to see if they are growers.

Flaming Lips appeal to my prog/artrock tendencies. Not a fan of the murky modern production, but there's some really cool songs on Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi. The earlier stuff? Not me.

Stone
01-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Getting rid of CDs/albums scares me (for myself). I have repurchased a couple titles over the years and I'm always afraid if I get rid of the "chaff" I'll want to get the album again (for whatever reason) and it'll be OOP. I have a stack of about 10 CDs that were either bought by mistake (e.g. I found a CD by The Clinic for $2 and bought it, to find out (a) it wasn't Clinic, and (b) it really sucks) or because of not sending in the stupid card to Columbia House (e.g. Spiderman 2 soundtrack). Someday I'll probably either sell the stupid things or give them away, but some have been sitting in a pile for years.

Finch Platte
01-12-2005, 08:16 AM
That's a nice rack (here's where I post another pic of a rack). Good job.

The face on the cover of the LP- is that the dude from The Darkness? ;)

fp

RJW1138
01-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Jasn: Gomez and King's X you say? Great examples...as long as you're with me in that their older stuff is awesome and their newer stuff has gotten worse. Actually, I think all Gomez albums have high points and weak points, and I think they were faily consistent up to and including In Our Gun, but I am not a big fan of Split the Difference. There's a few good tunes, but so much of it is sooo weak. You can really tell that they're changing their sound and song structure, trying to appeal to more ears...selling out, as it were. That's too bad, considering they HAVE always had a pretty huge fanbase, but just not outside of the UK. I wish they could keep their integrity and just keep making the same kind of music that their old fans would love. Unless, of course, their own tastes are changing and their new stuff just isn't as good because that's the style that they're into now, and it has nothing to do with $ or pressure from their label/management... I saw them live at Red's in Edmonton in October, and it was a great show (!), but their new material stuck out like a sore thumb, and was consistently the low point for me. Anyways, you win some, you lose some, and I guess I should be more positive. I still have to give them credit for being awesome for at least 4 albums, and rocking out for me in the Canadian prairies Thanks Gomez!

As for King's X, I totally loved their self-titled album when I was a young chap! I listened to that album hundreds of times. I was hoping that they had other ones that were as good, but was disappointed every single time. I thought Dogman pretty much sucked, and Ear Candy had a great powerful sound but the tunes were weak, and Faith Hope Love had the same cool sound as s/t but was still much weaker in the song department. After that, I gave up trying to find King's X albums, and resgined to the fact that only s/t would be the one I would get any pleasure from. I still listen to it once in a while, and it still rocks. They too came around touring, actually to my city of Regina back in October, but I couldn't convince myself that it was worth going. I suppose I regret it a bit, as I'll never have that chance again, but oh well...

Anyways, I'd love to hear some discourse from you. I loooooove talking tunes!

Troy
01-12-2005, 09:51 AM
=Finch Platte
The face on the cover of the LP- is that the dude from The Darkness? ;)

She's real purty. That's a Martin Denny album called "Exotica". 50s Suburban Tiki music.

DarrenH
01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Space is a problem with me as well. I am to a point where I need to either a) reduce the collection or b) get another rack. Both options are not easy to solve. I'm not keen on getting rid of any cd's that I've worked hard for and spent so much money on. I can honestly say that I haven't got many clunkers in my collection although some do go unplayed for lengthy periods of time. Parting with any of them is not an option.

While I have some space to add another rack, finding the rack to fit that space is a problem. Even if I did find a suitable rack, it wouldn't be a good long term solution. If I didn't have 400 lp's my situation would be more easy to resolve. Man, do those take up some space. I'll figure something out but I need to do it fast.

Troy, that's a very nice storage system. I'm fairly handy with woodworking and I've got enough tools in my garage that I may tackle that sort of project come Spring.

Oh, the only Flaming Lips I have is Yoshimi. Couple of good tracks but as a whole it wasn't good enough to warrant further exploration on my part.

Darren

jasn
01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Gomez: I couldn't stop playing their first two releases. The wheels started coming off for me when I bought Abandoned Shopping Trolley. So now I have that and their last two releases "In the Box"

Kings X: I've put quite a bit of time into all of their material up to Tape Head, which is a keeper (Ear Candy is not sweet). Funny about the X, but I consistently find each release to run out of gas after the first 4-6 songs. After that they seem to get repetitious, or my brain gets tired or something....

That is a beautiful CD (#) rack Troy, nice work. I'm betting you've got that baby bolted to the wall pretty well, cuz it's gotta weigh a ton. I also like the way it is at eye level, because I'm getting too lazy bending over to see what is on my lower shelves (maybe that's why I don't play Neil as much as I used to?)

BTW, my latest, newly discovered artist to be gorging over is Luna. I am up to four titles from them so far and they are all keepers.

I won't tell you how many Freedy Johnston titles I have, looking for another This Perfect World. I've been meaning to make a Comp of his stuff forever.

Davey
01-12-2005, 11:29 AM
BTW, my latest, newly discovered artist to be gorging over is Luna. I am up to four titles from them so far and they are all keepers.
Yeah, always been a big Luna fan (and Galaxie 500 too). Just curious which 4 you have? I agree they are all good, although I have a strong preference for the first three myself. They have a couple really nice EPs too. Always include a good cover song. Did you see my last Luna lovefest post back at Thanksgiving? http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=8291

jasn
01-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Davey, my Luna ride actually started last Summer with The Days of Our Lives, which I see get kinda dissed for being one of their weaker releases. It's the first for me tho, and as usual it holds a special place. I then picked up Bewitched (both were used BTW), which I see from your old post to be a gold standard for you (I must have been in lurking mode back then...). I've come to appreciate this title as the stronger of the two, however.

Just last week I picked up sale-priced copies of Penthouse and Rendevous. I like them both, and look forward to spending a lot of time with them. How's the rest of their catalog?

Davey
01-12-2005, 12:05 PM
How's the rest of their catalog?
Well, as I hinted, the first one is usually the one I list as my favorite, but all of the first three are great. Looks like that first one, Lunapark, is the only essential one you're missing except for the Slide EP (and the Luna EP, although not as essential). They did expand the sound after the first one by adding another guitar with Sean Eden, but I still really love the first one. I think Swish usually says that Pup Tent is his favorite, and I do think it's very good too and has a couple of my favorite Luna songs. Pretty nice recording too, especially on vinyl. Don't know if you've ever heard the Feelies, but that's an earlier band with a similar sound you would probably really like. That's where the Luna drummer Stanley Demeski came from. Crazy Rhythms or Only Life are both amazing, as is most of Dean's stuff as Galaxie 500 with Damon and Naomi. Another descendant of that Velvet Underground rhythm sound that does the same thing for me and that I talk about a lot around here is David Kilgour, but guess that's already more than you asked for ;).

BarryL
01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
..to build up. At least room for three more layers. Maybe there's an earthquate building ordinance in RWC?

Dusty Chalk
01-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I just finally got over Flaming Lips, myself. The clincher was their appearance on TV doing the Spongebob Squarepants song -- OMG, what a load of crap. Pure exposition, not even an attempt at artiness.

I'll have to try that trick with the box. I end up putting the good ones in the box, and forcing myself to dig through the clunkers, so that by the time I realize they are clunkers, I'm sure of it, no doubt.

Mike
01-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Gomez: I couldn't stop playing their first two releases. The wheels started coming off for me when I bought Abandoned Shopping Trolley. So now I have that and their last two releases "In the Box"

I won't tell you how many Freedy Johnston titles I have, looking for another This Perfect World. I've been meaning to make a Comp of his stuff forever.

I thought Abandoned Trolley was up there with their best but the latest one I played a bit early on thinking it would grow on me but it never did, it's pretty uninspiring stuff they seem to have gone off the rails a bit.

As for Freedy Johnston I picked up a few of his titles a while ago from Secondspin.com and they still have copies of This Perfect World for $2.99 if you are interested.

Cheers
Mike