Happy Birthday Rga [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Rga

Mr Peabody
01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I was looking at your profile to see how to send you a message and noticed it was your birthday. You seem to have isolated yourself, no way to contact you except through a post. I wanted to ask you what difference in sound did you notice when you went from the X-can to your ASL? I'm thinking about maybe going that way. Does the ASL have more of a tube sound?

Thanks and hope you had a good birthday.

zapr
01-11-2005, 10:08 PM
........Lets all chip in and get him some paradigms. Sorry I couldn't resist. Happy birthday!........Zapr.

matt39
01-12-2005, 03:08 AM
And many more to come. Enjoy.

musicoverall
01-12-2005, 04:49 AM
........Lets all chip in and get him some paradigms. .

...with the matching subwoofer! :D

RGA, Happy Birthday, and may your days and nights be filled with the sound of Audio Note! I'm haggling with someone over the price of a used DAC 3.1X as we speak! ;)

theaudiohobby
01-12-2005, 04:54 AM
Happy Birthday :D

piece-it pete
01-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Happy B'day, o audio noted one :D .

Have a fine Canadian beer on me. Hope there's many more!

(Yes that's b'days AND beers! ;) )

Pete

dave123456@mail.com
01-12-2005, 11:35 AM
........Lets all chip in and get him some paradigms. Sorry I couldn't resist. Happy birthday!........Zapr.

I think he would love if we got him the Studio 100's v3, with matching Atom v2 surrounds, oh yah and a subwoofer so he can listen to the atoms and a sub with music.

Seriously though, happy bday, pal.

Mr Peabody
01-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks to everyone who came to RGA's party, it doesn't look like the guest of honor is going to show. Feel free to take some cake and food home with you. Drive carefully!

RGA
01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Wow I just came to this thread now - where have I been in - I'm mostly in the speaker forum. Thanks everybody. I'd gladly take the Paradigms - I'm sure I could sell them for decent cash and buy something Audio Note - err maybe pay the tax on something Audio Note :D

Yes I did compare the X-Can - something firstly the X-Can is not class A nor was it single ended, The ASL slightly lack bass - the new ones are OTL though and that brings it back, The new ASLs have a switch so you can run it OTL or Not. Which is kinda cool.

If you can try the Sugden Headmaster somewhere it would probably be nice - lots of people like it better - though it costs a lot more - it is also a top flight pre-amp.

The Sugden is not SS nor is it a Tube - interesting approach - I just could not afford it. I would ask on head-fi as they're more up to date than me. I have not listened to my headphone rig since I bought my J's - I tried for a few minutes but went back to the J's. :)

Eventually I'll need a portable headphone amp for my new laptop. This laptop is an early graduation gift - my first and it's kinda neat.

Thanks for your wishes everybody

Richard George Austen (If you ever wondered)

Mr Peabody
01-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Did the ASL give you more of the euphoria feel to the music like tubes? Did the sound seem to be more like a traditional tube amp? What is OTL? What price is the Sugden Head?

RGA
01-21-2005, 07:01 PM
The Sugden headmaster is about $600 British pounds. It has remote control and is a preamp - I have not heard it - my post made it seem as though I did so this is to correct that.

OTL is Output TransformerLess - all the new MG head DT are OTL. The transformers are bipassed. It is not a very tubey sounding headphone amp and with some tubes can sound very much like the Rega's.

I would definitely look up the headmaster if you also need a preamp - it may not be a tube amp but if I had to do it over I would have bought the Headmaster (even unheard because I'm pretty familiar with the Sugden sound) and I would have spent less and got the HD580s. There is another tube headphone amp that gets discussed over there which is around $1k and it's supposed to be very good too.