What music will you be chilling out to over the holidays? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What music will you be chilling out to over the holidays?

PPG
12-18-2003, 06:27 AM
Same ole, same ole or something you've been meaning to have time to sit down and get into when you had more time afforded by the holidays? Well, I don't have a lot of new music going on but I plan to kick back with some wine (or whatever) and fire up...

Michael McDonald "Motown" in living 5.1. As I posted elsewhere, I've only heard the stereo layer which sounds superb - and the music's really good, too - but I'm saving the surround mix for a holiday treat.

Heart - Alive In Seattle - 2-disc SACD 5.1

Pink Floyd - DSOTM SACD

Moody Blues - Christmas - if you like the Moodies later period stuff, you'll like this. Has a cover of "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)". The group is down to three- Justin Hayward, John Lodge, and Graham Edge.

Christmas comp by Jim Clark

Whatever stereo CD's I get in the mood to hear but they'll be playing in Dolby Pro Logic II

Chrismas Vacation DVD - (the movie, it's a yearly tradition in my house this time of year).

How 'bout you?

Dave_G
12-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Well, I intend to do the following:

1) Watch the new Pallas dvd and listen to the sound thru the stereo as opposed to thru the headphones

2) Watch the new U2 dvd that I went out and bought based on Finch's review. It was on sale for 14 bucks and ninety nine cents.

3) rent "Fatal Frame 2" on PS2 and play it late at night in the dark. Supposedly this one can really scare the fool out of you, especially if you "get into it" and use the sound properly.

4) Watch the rest of the Transatlantic dvd.

5) Ride my mountain bike.

6) Drink beer

7) Rent and watch T3, the extended "two towers" , and Pirates ..Penzance dvd.

I find myself actually sitting down and listening to a new cd at home on the stereo to be rarer and rarer as time goes by. I really almost prefer to watch a concert dvd anymore. The car system is my "stereo" these days.

But the holiday is much looked forward to for quality time with the family and friends.

Dave

JDaniel
12-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Same ole, same ole or something you've been meaning to have time to sit down and get into when you had more time afforded by the holidays?

How 'bout you?

PPG - I've got several musical Christmas plans. Plans vs. reality are different animals around my house usually. Here they are in no particular order.

-I really want to give a listen to all my Timemasheen comps, over a period of 2-3 days. I've listened to them all, but haphazardly at best (except for Vol. 11 - Hillbilly Heroes, which I've about worn out).

-I've been planning to burn some of my vinyl to cd. I've finally got everything needed for the project for my pc. Now I've got to actually DO it.

-Work on a Lyle Lovett comp that's been formulating in my head.

-Give another listen to all the year end comps (Slosh, Davey, Tentoze, Mike etc.) and maybe spend a little of my hard earned cash based on them.

-Buy myself a couple of Christmas presents - Songs Ohia; the new Lyle Lovett; Joan Armatrading's latest;

-And watch LOTR 1 & 2 on DVD before going to see the 3rd leg of the trilogy in theaters over Christmas.

I'll be lucky to get any one of these accomplished.

JD

ps - PPG - sent a Christmas package your way this week.

nobody
12-18-2003, 08:57 AM
With the snow falling, certain music seems to sound good in the winter, especially laying back for a holiday. I'll probably listen to a good bit of Sigur Ros and Mum's latest for that reason. I'm thinking the Postal Service should be good for that too, while keeping me a bit more awake.

Going home and seeing old friends and getting out to some bars will bring a more rockin' mood. Probably play a bunch of Electric Six for that, and maybe the Christmas Brian Setzer after I pick it up.

Of course, there will also be the Christmas music. In my case, that means Evlis's Blue Christmas, a New Wave Christmas CD, A Soulful Christmas, Christmas comps from JC and JDaniels, and some Handel. Got Punk Rock Christmas for when I need to hear the FEAR classic Fcuk Christmas after I've had enough of the family and enough beer.

Now, I just gotta plan some serious driving music for the eight-hour ride home.

DarrenH
12-18-2003, 09:06 AM
Beginning this Friday at noon, I go on vacation and do not return to work until Jan 5th. I am most psyched.

Got my order in from Laser's Edge yesterday so I'll be spinning the following:

Chain - Reconstruct. Listened thru twice now and this is simply outstanding.
Frameshift - Unweaving The Rainbow
Magellan - Impossible Figures
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone. Listened thru just once and I'm diggin' it. The Canterbury Sequence and Up-Hill From Here are really good.
Neal Morse - Testimony.
Porcupine Tree - Sky Moves Sideways 2 CD remaster.

Plus lots more favorites. Some Gov't Mule. Some Strawbs. Some Tull.

I'll be hammering down some Barcardi's and coke.

Christmas Eve and Day will no doubt bring in some classic Christmas tunes. Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas and various other compilations.

Unrelated to music, I know, but I'm gonna watch lots of College Bowl games. It's a great time of year.

Dave, you gonna send me your next trade list? You got mine right? Let me know.

Darren

Mr MidFi
12-18-2003, 09:08 AM
No doubt, I will pull out my 2001 Christmas Comp a few times this holiday season (thanks to JC for reminding me). That, and an old Windham Hill Solstice sampler I like a lot.

Been listening to a lot of Wilco lately, and I'm currently spinning a "best of" comp I made at least once a day. Some great songwriting there.

Jim Clark
12-18-2003, 09:58 AM
I haven't added one single Christmas CD to the collection this year. I was really close to adding Operatica's Christmas Classics but I read a review that just ravaged the thing. I was going to order Plastiq Christmas , a sythnpop seasonal comp, but I just never got around to it. Got a pretty decent stash of Christmas CD's though but I've just been playing them in the evening starting around dinner time. Faves would be Jimmy Buffett-Christmas Island, Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas and a couple of comps I've done myself.

I did finally get the Calexico Cd last night and I pretty much need to be done buying this year. The good news is that I still have tons of new or relatively music to enjoy. I'm looking forward to creating 2 (that's right-2) year end comps. One will be for the board, and one will be for family and friends. The later featuring an outstanding track or two from my RR buddies year end comps in addition to my own.

jc

Dave_G
12-18-2003, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=DarrenH]Beginning this Friday at noon, I go on vacation and do not return to work until Jan 5th. I am most psyched.

Me too for the most part!

I'll be hammering down some Barcardi's and coke.

Me too big time!

Christmas Eve and Day will no doubt bring in some classic Christmas tunes. Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas and various other compilations.

I'll play rock.

Unrelated to music, I know, but I'm gonna watch lots of College Bowl games. It's a great time of year.

I'll watch some.

Dave, you gonna send me your next trade list?

No I did not.

You got mine right?

Yes. Started work on it already.

Let me know.

OK.

Dave

tentoze
12-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Same ole, same ole or something you've been meaning to have time to sit down and get into when you had more time afforded by the holidays? Well, I don't have a lot of new music going on but I plan to kick back with some wine (or whatever) and fire up...

How 'bout you?

Since I will not be "home" for Christmas this year (for the 1st time in many years), and will be working mucho hours straight through the Holidays, haven't gotten very enthusiastic about "holiday" music. I'll probably be spinning the same semi-recent acquisitions, at the top of that list are British Seapower and Sun Kil Moon, my late-arriving favorites of the year.

dld
12-18-2003, 12:19 PM
man am I stoked! Quite a few SACDs.

Lots of Dylan & Stones SACDs

Yoshimi on DVD-A

Donovan SACD

Interpol

Sun Kil Moon

British Seapower, Decline of British Seapower (Tentoze, I'm counting on you on this one)

Roy Orbison DVD-Black and White

David Bowie, SACD Scary Monsters (or is it Alladin Sane? Got both, ones an SACD)

John Lennon, Imagine Remastered CD

Imagine, the movie soundtrack

Pirates of the Carribbean DVD

David Bowie, Realilty CD

Jona Armatrading (new one)

Can't wait for Santa to drop those suckers off Chrostmas Eve so I can open and play