Question about component video switching [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about component video switching

midfiguy
01-11-2005, 04:12 AM
So, here's the scenario:

DVD, VCR, Cable Box going into the receiver, which the person i'm helping will be using for video switching, going out to a projector.

So, hypothetically, let's say I use component video cables for DVD to Reciever, Composite for Cable to Reciever, and S-Video for VCR to Reciever, do I need to run all three from the reciever to the projector? Or is the reciever "smart" enough to carry any kind of video input through a component cable I hook up on the OUT to the projector?

I guess in short, will the reciever take any video in and covert it to any OUT that I have out to the projector, or do I have to match cable for cable, or does it depend on the reciever?

Thanks!

bargainseeker
01-11-2005, 06:28 AM
So, here's the scenario:

DVD, VCR, Cable Box going into the receiver, which the person i'm helping will be using for video switching, going out to a projector.

So, hypothetically, let's say I use component video cables for DVD to Reciever, Composite for Cable to Reciever, and S-Video for VCR to Reciever, do I need to run all three from the reciever to the projector? Or is the reciever "smart" enough to carry any kind of video input through a component cable I hook up on the OUT to the projector?

I guess in short, will the reciever take any video in and covert it to any OUT that I have out to the projector, or do I have to match cable for cable, or does it depend on the reciever?

Thanks!It depends on the receiver. Newer and more expensive receivers have converters built in. Older and less expensive receivers do not. You will probably need to connect both the S-Video and Component Video outputs to the TV. You may need to connect the Composite Video output as well. Check the receiver manual.

midfiguy
01-11-2005, 06:44 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't think my older Denon 4800 and Marantz SR8000 do "advanced" video switching, just regular.

But my friend is looking at the new SR5500, which I think does.

Thanks again.

Worf101
01-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Both my 898 and 797 do component "upgrade" to allow me to watch anything when the TV's switched to Component input. It's a nice feature, partcularly for the HiDef set in the bedroom.

Da Worfster :cool:

shokhead
01-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Both my 898 and 797 do component "upgrade" to allow me to watch anything when the TV's switched to Component input. It's a nice feature, partcularly for the HiDef set in the bedroom.

Da Worfster :cool:

So on my Denon 2805,all the stuff i have going into my Denon,i only need 1 cable to my TV as the Denon will convert anything into the single cable?

bargainseeker
01-12-2005, 08:53 AM
So on my Denon 2805,all the stuff i have going into my Denon,i only need 1 cable to my TV as the Denon will convert anything into the single cable?According to this Denon AVR-2805 Product Sheet (http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR28053.pdf), the answer is yes as long as that one cable is a three wire component video cable.