Yamaha "Effects" Channels? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha "Effects" Channels?

JamezHill
01-10-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm going to be purchasing a Yamaha receiver (RX-Z1) soon and was wondering about these "effects" channels that are featured with the receiver. Is it worth buying speakers for? If so, should they be small bookshelf speaker? dipole/bipole? What kind of effects come out of them? Should they be decent/high quality speakers or is it not worth it?

Thanks
Jamez

Wireworm5
01-10-2005, 10:52 PM
On mine I have the two extra front channels, not sure if its the same as the effects that you mention but probably. Anyways I have used it for both floorstanders and bookshelf speakers with no problem with all channels playing . I'm pretty sure they have to be an 8 ohm speaker though. At present I'm using the effect or extra fronts to power B&W DM601 s3.

JamezHill
01-11-2005, 02:14 AM
I just wasn't sure if it was used for ambient effects, or is it a full spectrum channel?

kfalls
01-11-2005, 05:31 AM
I use the effects channels on my Yamaha RX-V2095 and they're OK. On the newer models (1400, 2400, 2500, Z1, etc) the effects channels can be reconfigured for Zone 2 capabilities providing stereo to a second listening area. You can have a movie with 5.1 sound running in your main room while playing a CD in the bedroom or on the patio. Nice feature.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Yamaha's effects channels usually contain reverb or echo from a sample of the left/right, and depending on if you have rear effects channels, echo from the rear. Mostly all of the samples are taken from various venues around the world. I wouldn't buy a receiver for just these channels only, in many cases were a rooms acoustics are not controlled, these extra channels muddy the sound considerably, no matter how much you tweak them(experience). I would purchase a receiver based on how well it does 5.1, or 5.1+1, or 6.1 Dts discrete.

JamezHill
01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Oh it wasn't going to be a defining characteristic for me, I was just wondering if it was worth buying extra speakers for :)

Thanks for all of your advice!
Jamez

shokhead
01-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Yamaha's effects channels usually contain reverb or echo from a sample of the left/right, and depending on if you have rear effects channels, echo from the rear. Mostly all of the samples are taken from various venues around the world. I wouldn't buy a receiver for just these channels only, in many cases were a rooms acoustics are not controlled, these extra channels muddy the sound considerably, no matter how much you tweak them(experience). I would purchase a receiver based on how well it does 5.1, or 5.1+1, or 6.1 Dts discrete.

Is this right, 6.1 would be another surround in the back and 7.1 would be another pair in the back?

Woochifer
01-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Yamaha's DSP effects are the best in the biz, but they're not something that you should base a purchasing decision on. The high mounted effect channels that are on the RX-Z1 convey the ambient cues and room effects that get processed for those DSP modes. On Yamaha's other receivers, these effects get mixed into the L and R main channels. With the RX-Z1, the effect output is split into those high mounted effect speakers.

Whether or not you buy extra speakers for those effects channels depends on how much you plan to use the DSP effects. I suggest that you set up the receiver first and try out the DSP modes in a regular 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration. See if the DSP effects enhance your listening, or if you just use the default modes most of the time. On my system, I use the DSP effects only occasionally. With most movies, the default 5.1 playback mode gives me the most precise imaging and audio quality. Only with certain scenes that benefit from a larger soundfield do I turn on the DSP effects. With music, I only use the effects with music that's already highly processed such as electronica.

With the Yamaha DSP effects, you have a lot of options for adjusting the effect to your preferences. If you wind up liking what the DSP effects do, THEN it might be worth pursuing the high mounted effect speakers.

Also, keep in mind that those effects channels can get reassigned to other sources, such as multizone playback.

JamezHill
01-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Wow, just the answer I was looking for. Thanks very much for that reply Woochifer.

shokhead
01-13-2005, 06:37 AM
For me,never used or liked any DSP except for the 5ch stereo.