PSB Image Series [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PSB Image Series

zonik
01-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi,
Does anyone have any BTDTs with the new Image series ? (FYI PSB Platinum (starts @ $2000) and the Image series are made in Canada. The Stratus are chinese.)
I am thinking about using the Image B25 (http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/1204psb/) and then maybe a small sub. Not for Home Theatre, but 2 channel hi fi. I'm not looking for other recommendations in this category of bookshelf, but PSB experiences. t45 ?

Thanks

brulaha
01-10-2005, 07:19 PM
I own the PSB 2B, which is an earlier model. The 25B replaced it. It was a very medicore speaker. It's alright, but there are certainly better offerings.

3db
01-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Hi,
Does anyone have any BTDTs with the new Image series ? (FYI PSB Platinum (starts @ $2000) and the Image series are made in Canada. The Stratus are chinese.)
I am thinking about using the Image B25 (http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/1204psb/) and then maybe a small sub. Not for Home Theatre, but 2 channel hi fi. I'm not looking for other recommendations in this category of bookshelf, but PSB experiences. t45 ?

Thanks

I've heard PSB Image t45 played through a NAD T773 using a NAD cdplayer
I believe it was and I was absolutely floored with both the openness
and soundstage

Stereophile did a review of the Image B25s and they said they are the best $500 speaker out there beating out the makes of NHT..

Here is the article;
http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/1204psb/index.html

I've heard Axioms and Paradigms monitor series and find myself always coming back to PSB Image series. For the money, you'll be hard pressed to beat them.

I own the older Image 1Bs, the Image 8c center channel and PSB Subsonic5 sub and I can say without hestitation that I am more than happy with them. The only thing may consider upgrading is the Subsonic 5 to maybe the Subsonic6 for deeper extension only. . I'm planning on getting the Image T45s in the late srping.

dave123456@mail.com
01-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Thanks

What makes you think the Stratus series are made in China?

And to answer your question, ive owned the PSB Image 2b's and thought they were OK for the money. However, they did have some horrible lower-midrange resonances that caused me to take them back. After i took them back i bought a pair of Ascend Acoustics, which had problems of their own, but didnt have any resonance problems. If the newer image series takes care of the resonance issues then they would be a decent speaker.

zonik
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
What makes you think the Stratus series are made in China?

I wrote to PSB and asked them. Let me clarify that, I don't know it is China, HOWEVER they said the stratus line are NOT made in N America. I doubt they're made Scandinavia. Do you know where ?

dave123456@mail.com
01-11-2005, 11:14 AM
I wrote to PSB and asked them. Let me clarify that, I don't know it is China, HOWEVER they said the stratus line are NOT made in N America. I doubt they're made Scandinavia. Do you know where ?

Hmm, thats odd. This link says that the stratus line is hand made in Pickering ( Canada)-
http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/ht_loudspeakers/psb-alpha-t-system.html- look at the last sentance of the first paragraph, im sure i could find more examples if i wanted. And the PSB Stratus Mini's, which I own,says on the rear that theyre made in Canda. It seems strange that their MORE expensive line would be made in China, but their CHEAPER line made in Canada. I cant confirm for sure where either is made, but i do know the Stratus series is FAR more superior, in both build and sound quality, than the Image series.

zonik
01-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Hmm, thats odd. This link says that the stratus line is hand made in Pickering ( Canada)-

I thought it was odd, too. So I wrote again for clarification.

dave123456@mail.com
01-11-2005, 12:52 PM
I thought it was odd, too. So I wrote again for clarification.

Cool, id also be interested in what PSB has to say about the matter at hand. And even if the Stratus line is made in China, i wouldnt let that persued you to not consider them. Yeah I myself dont like to buy too many things made there as i think that alot of companies really stick it to there counrty men but taking away jobs and such when they ship business overseas . Still the Stratus line are built like tanks, and the Image series uses PLASTIC front baffles, which may be the reeason for the resonances i was hearing.

dave123456@mail.com
01-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe they were made in Pakistan, by camels.

jrflanne
01-11-2005, 10:44 PM
http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/ht_loudspeakers/psb-alpha-t-system.html- look at the last sentance of the first paragraph, im sure i could find more examples if i wanted. And the PSB Stratus Mini's, which I own,says on the rear that theyre made in Canda. It seems strange that their MORE expensive line would be made in China, but their CHEAPER line made in Canada. I cant confirm for sure where either is made, but i do know the Stratus series is FAR more superior, in both build and sound quality, than the Image series.

The boxes on my Bronze's say made in canada. I believe the drivers are made in Scandinavia but I do not recall the manufacturer.

zonik
01-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Maybe they were made in Pakistan, by camels.

Here is the quote from PSB....
"The Stratus Line is manufactured in China.

Best regards, "

So maybe making the Stratus in china, allows them to be made like 'tanks' as you say, yet not cost what the platinum series costs.

SAPSEC
01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
PSB sound is too "lay back" (you place speakers at same level of TV and hear the sound as if it come
behind the TV). This is the biggest disadvantage of PSB. I had to sell them 1/2 price on E-Bay and replaced with BW.

dave123456@mail.com
01-12-2005, 09:39 AM
PSB sound is too "lay back" (you place speakers at same level of TV and hear the sound as if it come
behind the TV). This is the biggest disadvantage of PSB. I had to sell them 1/2 price on E-Bay and replaced with BW.

Well, I could also say that B&W's are too "analytical" and dry sounding, but this would just be due to my taste. I guess what im trying to say is some people prefer a laid back musical sound, compared to analytical and detailed. My assumption on B&W's is only from hearing a few models from their lower lines, the DM-303 and a standmount that cost about $550 ( the 600 range i think?).

zonik
01-12-2005, 12:05 PM
What model where there ?

SAPSEC
01-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Alpha B and Image 2B

3db
01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
After swapping out my Technics Tower speakers with my Image 1B's, I've heard even more details coming from my music than I did my Technics towers. They revealed alot of nuances that I haven't heard before. One thing I have noticed is that they are very sensitive to source material. Poor recordings sound dark, almost hollow like; ie Jane's Addiction latest CD. Better recorded CD's sound so awesome and life like..ie Dave Matthews Band "Under The Table Dreaming with all the details coming out with vibrancy and detail at relatively high output of over 85 dbs . No compression of the soundstage was observed.