01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
It's at some motherf-cking disco
The people there were dancin' on it
And that's including Ms. Matronic

Hell if music is the victim then so am I
Of lovin' and a cheatin' the snake gon' bite
I beg and I scream and I cuss and I cry
If music is the victim then so am I

3-LB asked for a review of some of my unusual (for me) purchases of last week. So...here are some thoughts on the Scissor Sisters CD.

This has to be one of the most eclectic collections of music by one band that I have ever purchased. It's not like anything that I've ever bought before and so I don't even really know how to review it.

I like most of it. A lot of it reminds me of the quirkiness of early 70's Bowie, fused with the more upbeat tunes of early 80's Bowie...on a lot of acid. :D

The first two tunes (Laura and Take Your Mama ) are fun and have my toes a-tappin'. But then track three infiltrates the fun with one of the most painful pieces of music that I have ever listened to....a cover (and I use that term very loosely) of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. Even touching this song is sacrelige. And what they've done to it is abominable. They should be jailed for the slaughter of this song. It's like being forced to watch a deranged madman skin your best friend alive. After hearing this song...I'm scarred for life.

Following Comfortably Numb is the romantic ballad, Mary. This song could not appear in a better place on this album. It's just the soothing melody needed to smooth over your assaulted senses, still trying to recover from the previous track. This is a beautiful song that makes you feel as though you must forgive them for their abomination...well...maybe not total forgiveness.

Back to some fun with Lovers in the Backseat.

The second half of this CD closely follows the cycle of the first half. Some good, some bad, some ugly.

Highlights for me are Music is the Victim (see lyrics above) and Return To Oz, a spacey almost proggish tune to close out the album on a relaxing note.

The bottom line is that, with the exception of two or three songs, I like this disk a lot. This CD is a roller coaster ride. It's all over the map. Some songs are more accessible than others but, it's definately not for everyone. Proceed with caution.

I give it 3.5 Smilies.
:D :D :D :)

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Excellent! (I even like your whole vs. half smiley.)

I think my problem with it was that I never got over the...erm...that incident that scarred you. Perhaps I should listen to it while programming that out. Maybe perhaps I'll like it better.