BNC in place of digital coax? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BNC in place of digital coax?

scotym
01-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I need to make a rather long run of digital coax cable, probably 30' or more once its all said and done. BNC cable is also coax, but I'm not sure if theres a difference as far as the build of the cable. If I had some bnc cable laying around and threw some bnc to rca adaptors on it, would that be a good alternative to spending some loot on a new digital coax?

TIA

markw
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
All of which, coincidentaly, work quote well on coaxial cable, which I believe is what you are talking about.

I'd be more concerned about the impedance of the coaxial cabls as opposed to the types of termination are on the ends of it. If you'e looking for a video/RF type use then you would want to use 75 ohm cable (with whatever terminators you need) but if it's for audio use then virtually any impedance between 50 and 110 ohms works fine.

scotym
01-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Gotcha

So,
If I took some coax with bnc connectors, video cable, most likely 75 ohm rated, and slapped some bnc to rca adapters on it, it would be good to make a long connection on the audio "digital coax" ins and outs in my system.

thanks

markw
01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I just go into my terminator vs. cable rant on occasion. It's the cable type that defines it's function moreso than the terminators. Too many people confuse the two.

Actually, I've read that a coathanger was used sucessfuly to transfer digital audio data although I doubt iet was for a length of 30 feet. That would be one heckuva hanger.

risabet
01-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I need to make a rather long run of digital coax cable, probably 30' or more once its all said and done. BNC cable is also coax, but I'm not sure if theres a difference as far as the build of the cable. If I had some bnc cable laying around and threw some bnc to rca adaptors on it, would that be a good alternative to spending some loot on a new digital coax?

TIA
The BNC connector is better because it makes a locking physical connection that RCA's don't. If your cable runs are in a wall or junction box than BNC's are the way to go.

Monstrous Mike
01-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Gotcha

So,
If I took some coax with bnc connectors, video cable, most likely 75 ohm rated, and slapped some bnc to rca adapters on it, it would be good to make a long connection on the audio "digital coax" ins and outs in my system.

thanks
Like markw said, it is all about the cable. Is it marked with something like RG-59 or RG-6? If so, then yes it would make a good cable. For my sub, I used coaxial TV cable (RG-59) and used F Type to RCA adapters. Lots of people also use this for a long component video connection (or composite video).

As long as that cable is a 75 ohm cable you should be fine.