Give me knuckle head of the week award!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Give me knuckle head of the week award!!!

Worf101
01-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Okay, it's over a week after New Years... it is now time to get that shedding monstrosity of a christmas tree OUT of the house. I let my son, an 11 year old I affectionately refer to as "los Knucklehead" take the tree out to the curb. I figure how stupid can one kid be... well I guess I found out. I'm in the kitchen getting ready to come back and watch the finale of the Packers game when I hear a sickening crash and thud...

I get into the living room to find the tree halfway out the door and my left speaker, a Platinum Audio, Studio 3 laying in a heap on its side... the top of the speaker cracked off and laying on the floor... Lucky for him and me... the speaker was not terminal and it looks like an easy fix. Also lucky for him I know that a speaker is not a life or death thang but it didn't stop me from slappin him upside the head for being ultra careless. But in the end it was my fault for asking a prepubescent American child to do anything right the first time.... sigh.. whatta maroon I was.

Da Worfster. :(

markw
01-10-2005, 08:39 AM
You're keeping your cool says a lot of good things about you. I'm pretty sure I would have let flow a string of explitives that would have peeled the wallpaper.

PAT.P
01-10-2005, 11:07 AM
At least you know its your fault ! Dont know if he deserved slapping accross head,I was'nt in your shoes.Hope he does'nt grow up with trauma of falling xmas tree? Hope you learned a lesson of this,and a little help of dad would of been better.If you look out of all mistake us growned up do in our lifetime .Pat.P :)

risabet
01-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Nice, my daughter, 13 and clumsy is not allowed near my system, as for the head slap, excellent!

nick250
01-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Nice, my daughter, 13 and clumsy is not allowed near my system, as for the head slap, excellent!

Not in my world. The slap is reprehensible.

HokieVT
01-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Boys need a good head slap now and again. It builds character.

kexodusc
01-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Poor Worfster...
On the other hand, here's a good opportunity to spin this into a positive...give your boy a good look at the inside of a speaker and get him to help you repair it...Not only is this good father-son stuff to do, but he'll be building DIY kits before you know it, and when he's head designer of some big speaker company in a few years, the Worfster will cash in at Christmas time....

Worf101
01-11-2005, 08:00 AM
1. Corporal Punishment. I've only beat my son once, he ran out in traffic and I had to do a Superman to save him I was so scared I thumped his behind right then and there, he never did it again... As fer haid slappin, I do this often its NOT hard and its done with affection to get his attention that I'm serious about something he did wrong. When I REALLY want to hurt him the X-Box and Gameboy go in the basement. He lost his X-Box for 9 months once. He's larnin.... His school teachers, neighbors and all adults I've talked to think he's a well behaved and respectful kid so perhaps I'm doin alright... but in the end we just do da best we can.

2. Kex's solution is a great one and I thank him for it. We might even see if we can upgrade the internal wiring while we're at it. I don't know about lettin Los Knucklehead loose with a glue gun however... but we'll see.

3. In the end it was my fault, I shoulda knowed better.

Da Worfster

:(

Scruffy
01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I live in an earthquake area, and after experiences several, I have all my speakers secured so they cannot get knocked over. It's a pain to do, and it may not look too great, but it keeps my speakers safe. Reading several storys in the forums these past few day of where speakers crash out of carelessness, I think securing them is a good idea even if you do not live in an earthquake area.

cubdog
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
My father only hit me once, after I thru my shoe at him. It scared him more than it hurt me. Lesson learned.

cubdog

Wireworm5
01-12-2005, 07:39 PM
If it were my cat that wrecked a speaker, especially my Studio 100's, it would be a dead cat. But your child, a slap to the head may have been over-reacting. This reminds me of the time when I was a yungen. I hit this girl in the eye with a plum. I knew I done wrong and was in deep chit. So I hid under a bed for a couple hours, but eventually I was found and still got a slap upside the head. But this was uncalled for, I knew I did wrong and I still got slapped with no questions asked. To this day I still don't think I needed to be slapped upside the head, but I lived.
I think if your son was remorseful then the slap was unnecassary. Did you even talk with him about it? However, I am not a parent so I'm not judging or condemning you, but I think an apology to him is warrented if you didn't give him a chance to plead his case.
And heck this is a great reason for an upgrade.:)

kexodusc
01-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Sweet Jebus...I cannot believe the outcries about a little loving tap to the head...
My old man was (is) a soldier...I got a slap to the head for christmas...There's absolutely nothing wrong with a wee little thwapping here and there, especially in this case where it seems to be more of a shared inside-joke between father and son.

I'm no father, but I am a son (obviously) and I can honestly say that I am better for the smackins than I would have been without...The last thing I wanted to do at 11 years old was "talk"...That conversation would have resulted in me confessing to the murder of JFK to get it over with.

To each their own, but one thing I've learned is not to second guess a kid's parent...each relationship is unique, what works for them, works for them. (within the limits of the law, etc, etc)

People gotta learn to mind their own business.

Worf101
01-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Ahem, it's a slap to the back of the head... with my hand... not a slap to the face with a 2 by 4.... LOL, you anti slapper wait till you get some kids... LOL I by god guarentee that head slappin will the the LEAST of the things you'll want to do you kids... Man whatta world, but to each his own....

Da Worfster :D

Resident Loser
01-13-2005, 07:43 AM
...Kex I agree 1000%...

It's this "reasoning with" and all the rest of that PC cr@pola that is giving us generation after generation of miscreants who think their actions have absolutely no consequences...

Corporal punishment(within reason) is perfectly OK to my way of thinking...I think I can envision the type of upside slap the Worfster refers to...and that seems to be OK also.

Spanking was the rule when I was a kid...my mom always said the rear-end is the only place designed for smackin'...the phrase "children should be seen and not heard" also comes to mind, we could use a bit o'that IMO...

jimHJJ(...and what ever happened to respect for your elders?...)