Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver

SpankingVanillaice
01-10-2005, 04:43 AM
Is the Kenwood AM-FM stereo receiver KR-A5020 good for listening to music? I listen to allkinds of music. My favorite types of music are Alternative rock, Jazz, Techno and pop.

shokhead
01-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Yes with the right speakers.

bargainseeker
01-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Is the Kenwood AM-FM stereo receiver KR-A5020 good for listening to music? I listen to allkinds of music. My favorite types of music are Alternative rock, Jazz, Techno and pop.I think you could do better. For a good stereo receiver for very little money, I suggest looking for factory reconditioned models from Onkyo, Yamaha or Denon. One example is this Onkyo TX-8211 receiver (http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=292772) which is available for $85.99 with free shipping from eCost.

Resident Loser
01-10-2005, 07:26 AM
...Belgian waffles!!!

Lesee, hmmm...AM-FM stereo reciever...got's the AM...got's the FM...and it's stereo to boot!

That probably qualifies it as something useful in musical reproduction...

But seriously...do you mean is it a good unit, sound-wise, reliability-wise? Can't really find much info about it, save for some offers to sell service manuals, etc. so it's an older unit...unless someone actually owns/owned one, yer purty much out of luck for opinion/experience...

Basically solid state receivers do what they do...some better than others and each MAY have a specific sonic signature...good, bad or otherwise...

Questions to ask are: Are there enough inputs to accomodate whatever you plan to connect to it? Do you need a phono stage? Howzabout tape inputs and or true monitor functions? What about power ratings vis a vis the speakers you plan on running?

jimHJJ(...y'know that sorta thing...)

Mark111867
01-10-2005, 01:49 PM
I've never owned anything made by Kenwood, so can't comment on their gear. There are some other good options out there depending on your budget. I am familiar with Onkyo and Yamaha and would recommend both brands for a 2 channel receiver. If I had to pick between the two brands, I'd probably pick Yamaha, but that is just a personal preference. If you are really on a tight budget, I would check out bargainseekers suggestion. Decide what your needs are as far as inputs and power, and get what best suites you. Good luck with whatever you buy.