4 Ohms or 8 Ohms??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms???

johny747
01-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Which of the above would you suggest is better to listen to MUSIC? Is there a major difference? I am not into any particular music. I listen to whatever is good!
Which is better paper cones or the newer synthetic ones? Again, 2 way or 3 way, whats good?
I have an Onkyo A/V receiver as of now? Am looking at the NAD S 300, Krell KAV 400xi.
Pls advice

ruadmaa
01-09-2005, 03:32 AM
Which of the above would you suggest is better to listen to MUSIC? Is there a major difference? I am not into any particular music. I listen to whatever is good!
Which is better paper cones or the newer synthetic ones?
I have an Onkyo A/V receiver as of now? Am looking at the NAD S 300, Krell KAV 400xi.
Pls advice

There is absolutely no audio quality difference between an 8 or 4 ohm speaker. Simply purchase the speakers that are (electrically) recommended for your amp/receiver for best results.

As to paper cones vs. synthetic, basically it is a nonissue. Simply buy the speakers that you like best. This is harder than you think. You can audition the same set of speakers in 5 different places and have them sound different every time. It is very hard to evaluate speakers since the environment they are used in has so very much to do with how they sound.

risabet
01-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Which is better paper cones or the newer synthetic ones? Again, 2 way or 3 way, whats good?
Pls advice

Impedance (the total opposition offered by an electric circuit to the flow of an alternating current at a specific frequency) doesn't really matter as long as the amp is stable into that load at all frequencies. Some speakers dip to 1 ohm or so at certain frequencies, add in reateance and the capacitive load of the speaker and some amps will crap out quickly. The Krell will drive anything, the NAD most things. Buy the speakers you like, don't worry about ways or materials.

PAT.P
01-10-2005, 09:55 PM
I rather look at the db sensitivity and the frequency response hz(like the lows )of a speaker.Audition a few and trust your ears.Pat.P

zebra
01-13-2005, 11:33 PM
my input: i have 4 ohms dynaudio audience 42s. i believe the sensitivity is 87dB and they are 2-way. they sound great but i noticed that they take up a lot of power. i had to compromise to buy these speakers as i was planning on an all tube system. instead i have a DIY tube pre-amp controlling a yamaha ax-596 (145watt peak) integrated amplifier or in other words i have a hybrid. to get more tube sound i bought a cayin cdt-15a tube output cd player. i am told that single-ended tube amplifiers would have trouble driving these speakers. so if go all tube, i will most likely have to buy more sensitive speakers e.g., 8ohms, >90dB.

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Is this just me or so but does the 4 ohms speakers have more power than the 8 ohms ones. Since when I connect the 4 ohms speakers like the Control 1 or the Alesis Point 7 monitors thay seem to put out more volume than 8 ohms speakers like my JBL S26 and the HLS410 I have. Of cource the JBL S26 puts more power than the HLS410 I have.

NickWH
01-14-2005, 08:38 PM
my input: i have 4 ohms dynaudio audience 42s. i believe the sensitivity is 87dB and they are 2-way. they sound great but i noticed that they take up a lot of power. i had to compromise to buy these speakers as i was planning on an all tube system. instead i have a DIY tube pre-amp controlling a yamaha ax-596 (145watt peak) integrated amplifier or in other words i have a hybrid. to get more tube sound i bought a cayin cdt-15a tube output cd player. i am told that single-ended tube amplifiers would have trouble driving these speakers. so if go all tube, i will most likely have to buy more sensitive speakers e.g., 8ohms, >90dB.

People report good results from these speakers with 4-ohm capable tube amps that can put out at least 25 watts for a small room, or 50 watts for a medium sized room. Check out this review:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/dynaudio42_e.html

Since when I connect the 4 ohms speakers like the Control 1 or the Alesis Point 7 monitors thay seem to put out more volume than 8 ohms speakers like my JBL S26 and the HLS410 I have.

4 ohm speakers draw twice as much power from an amplifier than 8 ohms speakers. An amplifier sees half of the electrical resistance (lower number=less resistance), so more power is available to the speaker. So, you are hearing a noticeable increase in volume level, but it is not double. It has nothing to do with the sound quality.

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2005, 10:10 PM
So speakers that are 4 ohms won't damage 8 ohms receivers that are made today or so?

N. Abstentia
01-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Must just be you. Speakers don't have power.

Is this just me or so but does the 4 ohms speakers have more power than the 8 ohms ones.

N. Abstentia
01-15-2005, 04:17 AM
So speakers that are 4 ohms won't damage 8 ohms receivers that are made today or so?

Not as long as it's rated for 4 ohms. If it's not, hopefully the protection circuit will kick in before your amp goes up in flames.

JeffBrecklin
01-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Buy some smaller advents with the green tweeters those are 4ohms they are really good sounding for a good price.