I am in remote hell!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I am in remote hell!!!!!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Fellow audioreviewians,
I stand here today in utter agony at the mess I find myself in. In the last six months I have purchased a Sony SACD/DVD/CD player, and a Sony six disc DVD/CD changer. Unfortunately the remote controls are almost identical(their model number are slightly different, but everthing else is exactly the same). Every bloomin time I turn one component on, the other goes on also. This is more of an annoyance than a real problem. Do any of you electronic geniuses have any suggestion on how to rid myself of this particular quandary? All suggestions are welcome.

jeskibuff
01-08-2005, 04:58 AM
I've got several Sony CD & DVD players/recorders. Most of them (especially the newer ones) give you the ability to set the remotes to different frequencies to prevent conflict with other Sony units. If you've only got 2 Sonys, all you need is this capability on one of them. Check your owner's manual for a topic like "Preparing the remote" or "Command Mode". Usually there's a switch within the battery compartment of the remote (or under a slide-out panel on the front) and one in the back of the player. Change them both to the same value but a different code than they're currently on, and you should be in business.

Smokey
01-08-2005, 08:48 PM
As Jeskibuff mentioned, the only remedy is to change their IR remote code. If your Sony players don't have that tweak, then there is really nothing you can do unless you change brand :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Jeskibuff, smokester, thanks for the help. When I get home I will look for the switch.

Richard Greene
01-13-2005, 09:17 AM
What you need is an assistant to turn on and off your components.
I suggest someone who looks like Tyra Banks, asks "How high?"
when you say "Jump" and wears a mini-skirt with no underwear.
This may seem like an expensive substitute for a remote control
but you only live once, so put a help wanted ad in the paper today !
My advice: Place all components on low shelves.

I once had one Sony remote that could be used for quite a few different Sony
components. Not a large number of functions for each component, as you'd have with
a dedicated remote control, but the basics. Of course I have no idea where it is right now. That remote used to operate a Sony CD player (now broken) and Sony receiver that drives my DIY dual 12" subwoofer in my bedroom
Every subwoofer ought to have a remote control.
I think I'll write my Congressman.

Fellow audioreviewians,
I stand here today in utter agony at the mess I find myself in. In the last six months I have purchased a Sony SACD/DVD/CD player, and a Sony six disc DVD/CD changer. Unfortunately the remote controls are almost identical(their model number are slightly different, but everthing else is exactly the same). Every bloomin time I turn one component on, the other goes on also. This is more of an annoyance than a real problem. Do any of you electronic geniuses have any suggestion on how to rid myself of this particular quandary? All suggestions are welcome.

AVMASTER
01-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Fellow audioreviewians,
SONY RMAV3000, simple touch screen learning remote with most of sony products already in database; $175.00