Anyone here an Ayreon fan? or Frameshift? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here an Ayreon fan? or Frameshift?

3-LockBox
01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
These keep popping up on my 'recommended' page at Amazon. Some reviews say that they're sorta speed metal prog. Is that acurate? Or are they more like Dream Theater (which I don't really think of as speed metal)?

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2005, 03:12 PM
These keep popping up on my 'recommended' page at Amazon. Some reviews say that they're sorta speed metal prog. Is that acurate? Or are they more like Dream Theater (which I don't really think of as speed metal)?

The Frameshift CD is excellent. It doesn't sound like Dream Theater although Unweaving the Rainbow features James LaBrie singing. That's likely why it keeps popping up for you. You can get a bit of a description of the disk here.... http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=19
Not to mention that you can purchase an autographed copy (that's how I got mine).

The 2nd Frameshift CD is just being completed. Vocals by Sebastion Bach are being recorded right now. It's due for release in February 2005.

Not much of a review for you, I know. But it's been a while since I've listened to it and I can't remember enough detail to give you anything more specific. All I can say is... buy it, you'll like it.

DarrenH
01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Neither one would be classified as speed metal.

Ayreon is more symphonic (think Symphony X or Rhapsody) with grandiose productions and orchestrations and guest musicians galore while Frameshift is progressive in the same vein as Dream Theater only not as heavy.

I highly recommend Frameshift btw. Unweaving The Rainbow was written by Henning Pauly and features the vocals of James LaBrie. It's a great listen imo.

Darren

progfan
01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Ayreon are one of those love 'em or hate 'em prog groups. Personally, I love 'em. No, I wouldn't call them progmetal like Dream Theater, outside of Universal Migrator Part II. But they do have some metalish moments. Most Ayreon releases are rock operas that are either an audiophile enthusiast's dream or an overproduced pretentious nightmare, depending on where you stand. If you're curious try either "The Human Equation" or "Into the Electric Castle". Both are double CDs and feature lots of guest artists. Lots of analog keyboards (organ, mellotron, moogs) as well as modern digital synths. If you don't like those albums, you probably won't like Ayreon. ;)

DarrenH
01-07-2005, 03:23 PM
The 2nd Frameshift CD is just being completed. Vocals by Sebastion Bach are being recorded right now. It's due for release in February 2005.

This is awesome news Autumn. Thanks for sharing.

Darren

Dusty Chalk
01-07-2005, 08:59 PM
The Human Equation is making my year-end list, it's easily the best thing they've ever done.

The Universal Migrator and Electric Castle disks are fine, too, but I wince a little bit at the cheesiness of it all...just a little bit. But there seems to be...I dunno...a certain oblivion to it (its cheesiness), that makes it palatable. Or maybe I just got used to it by the time of Human Equation.

You should also check out Ambeon and Star One.

I only just finally picked up the Frameshift, and it is quite good.

No, it's not speed metal prog, although it is technically very dextrous at points, it's still more pop prog (in that it's vocally forefront).

Dave_G
01-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Never heard any Frameshift.

Darren?

Ayreon is cool, I have most of their stuff, space metal kind of neo prog kind of stuff. I have Human Equation but have only listened to it once.

Star One is cool too, very space-metal-ish but not ridiculous, good dvd too if you can find it.

Dave

richmon
01-08-2005, 10:18 AM
I have four Ayreon discs, must be a fan. Not as fast as DT and not as noodley. My favorite is Flight of the Migrator which sounds like Keith Emerson joined Liquid Tension Experiment. Excellent heavy keys courtesty of Erik Nolander (from Rocket Scientists).

Second favorite is Into the Electric Castle, but I only like disc 2. Disc 1 is kinda corny. Number 2 is terrificly recorded too, not particularly heavy, more of a proggy sound.

Third fave is the latest, The Human equation, and once again, I only like disc 2. The vocals are neo styled, and are the standout feature for me, and vocals aren't what I usually look for. This may continue to grow on me, only had it a few months. Only heavy in a few spots I'd say.

Star One is real heavy, but it doesn't go anywhere for me. Had high hopes for this but it just kinda lies there and goes nowhere. In fact I'd be happy to trade it away, hint hint, PM me any interest.

So in summary, only Star One and Flight could be considered Speed Metalish, Castle and Equation are both Rock Opera's.

Think I go pickup the Frameshift, thanx lad's (and lass).

BarryL
01-08-2005, 01:01 PM

I think Unweaving The Rainbow was a standout album from 2004. It's more like Mullmuzzler than DT, but more technical and more progressive. Still, if you like DT, I don't see how you could not like the first Frameshift album.

Ayreon's latest is very good. You would swear that David Bowie is singing on some tracks. It's heavy and proggy, and way over the top as you would expect from a sci-fi rock opera concept. Ayreon thows everything and everybody into these productions which can be interesting, but it also creates its own problems of overdoing it. I give the man full marks for pulling this off and creating a very ambitious and full prog release.

Both are solid purchases if you are into prog-metal. The Ayreon is more diverse given the number of vocalists than is Frameshift. In fact, I find the multiple vocalists singing their respective parts in the songs a bit hard to take at times.

DarrenH
01-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Darren?

Dave?

Speak to me.