What should I buy tonight? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy tonight?

nobody
01-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I expect to be stopping by to pick up a couple records tonight. I've got a few harder rocking things in mind, but would like to grab something a bit softer as well. I've been listening to Roxy Music's Avalon lately and it's got me wanting something a bit atmospheric. Any suggestion?

progfan
01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
If you like Roxy Music's Avalon, why not give their Manifesto album a shot? It's pretty similar and I personally like it as well as Avalon.

Barring that, Peter Gabriel's Up comes to mind.

nobody
01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Never been a Peter Gabriel fan. He just never des it for me for some reason, I may see if they have Manifesto around.

newtrix1
01-06-2005, 11:57 AM
I expect to be stopping by to pick up a couple records tonight. I've got a few harder rocking things in mind, but would like to grab something a bit softer as well. I've been listening to Roxy Music's Avalon lately and it's got me wanting something a bit atmospheric. Any suggestion?

How 'bout:
Morcheeba - Big Calm
or something by Lori Carson?

those were the first things that popped into my mind...

nobody
01-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Never heard Lori Carson. What's she sound like.

-Jar-
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I'd suggest RAIN TREE CROW.. but on the other hand, I doubt the record store will have it, unless it's a very very good record store. You said "atmospheric" and it's very atmospheric. It's sort of a jazzy/post-rocky/new agey project from David Sylvian and a few others from the group Japan. Guitarist Michael Brook also contributes. His solo album COBALT BLUE (w/ Brian Eno) is very cool too, all instrumental though. Sort of like mini soundtracks to films that don't exist, some minimalist, some new agey, lots of different styles. He does some neat stuff with extended delay and loops and stuff.

*shrug*

newtrix1
01-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Never heard Lori Carson. What's she sound like.

She first came to my attention via this website, I think Dustychalk nominated a Golden Palominos track for a group comp. Since then I picked up GP's "So This is How it Feels" and from there went on to Carson's solo albums "Everything I touch Runs Wild" and last week I picked up "Stolen Beauty". Lori Carson has a sweet/sultry voice and I guess (unfortunately ;) ) she'd be lumped into the singer/songwriter category. Lyrics & singing are soulful often dealing with relationships & dependency.
She also draws many comparisons to Beth Orton, however I listen to Carson more frequently than Orton. Also, Bill Laswell seems to appear on most of her work, giving the music a deep, downbeat groove that probably made me link the music style with Roxy Music. Her albums have a soothing, relaxed vibe, but are also involving and emotional. good stuff, check out some soundbites on Amazon.

nobody
01-06-2005, 01:34 PM
More interesting suggestions. Of course, much will depend on what I come across, so more suggestions are certainly encouraged.

Slosh
01-06-2005, 01:48 PM
She first came to my attention via this website, I think Dustychalk nominated a Golden Palominos track for a group comp. Since then I picked up GP's "So This is How it Feels" and from there went on to Carson's solo albums "Everything I touch Runs Wild" and last week I picked up "Stolen Beauty". Lori Carson has a sweet/sultry voice and I guess (unfortunately ;) ) she'd be lumped into the singer/songwriter category. Lyrics & singing are soulful often dealing with relationships & dependency.
She also draws many comparisons to Beth Orton, however I listen to Carson more frequently than Orton. Also, Bill Laswell seems to appear on most of her work, giving the music a deep, downbeat groove that probably made me link the music style with Roxy Music. Her albums have a soothing, relaxed vibe, but are also involving and emotional. good stuff, check out some soundbites on Amazon.

Yes but . . .
does she sing in that slightly retarded, cleft palate sorta way that so many other people find endearing? ;)

Everyone who doesn't already own Pinback - Summer In Abaddon needs to make that their next purchase, even if it doesn't really sound much like Roxy Music.

NP: Stone's 2004 YEC

newtrix1
01-06-2005, 01:52 PM
More interesting suggestions. Of course, much will depend on what I come across, so more suggestions are certainly encouraged.

...but did I send you copies of my Jellyfish Boogie and/or Echos of Dreams comps? There's some Lori Carson on them. Also, in general, I think they contain the type of music you described. I'll keep thinking though :)

OK, one just popped into my head: Bomb the Bass -Clear. Here's a cut-n-paste review:

Clear is a mature third album for English musician Tim Simenon, who began his career as a hip-hop DJ, making cut-and-paste sample records, but has since come to repute as the producer for Depeche Mode, Gavin Friday, and Meat Beat Manifesto. Favoring the same sort of producer's back-seat position, Clear features several different vocalists, allowing Simenon to display his versatility. Overall, the entire work possesses an edgy Beat-like quality. On "Empire," an emotive ballad that plays with the similarity between the words "empire" and "vampire" to describe England as a bloodsucking entity, Sinead O'Connor duets with the delicate vocals of newcomer Benjamin Zephaniah to beautiful effect. Reggae legend Bim Sherman offers the gentle "Sleepyhead." But it's Los Angeles-based wordsmith Justin Warfield that is most responsible for Clear's sharp punch, waxing lyrical about Willy Wonka over Simenon's drug-addled oboe soundtrack on "Brain Dead" and flipping silver-tongued lines on the single "Bug Powder Dust." --Tamara Palmer

Davey
01-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah, Avalon is one of those rare albums that you can appreciate on many levels. At heart is a disc full of smooth yuppie makeout music, but is so refined and tuneful and glammy that you can't leave it there. And like you said, atmospheric without being at all boring. And it's got that great Bryan Ferry croon.

Hard to think of another with all those qualities. That second Tindersticks album that I'm always talking about has a lot of that sound and a real crooner behind the mic, but it's got a much moodier, less uplifting vibe. Their Simple Pleasure album is closer since they started embracing a more R&B rooted sound, but I don't think it was ever released here as mine is a UK import. All their albums got the deluxe treatment this year in the UK with extra discs of bonus tracks. That second album is a real gem, especially in the double vinyl format which I got for very cheap when it came out.

Anyway, another new one along those same lines is the Cherry Tree EP by The National that some of us have discussed around here. Very much like that early Tindersticks, which means a healthy dollop of Nick Cave and Joy Division and Leonard Cohen and Scott Walker and all the rest, incluiuding latecomers like Interpol. Real nice EP. Maybe the new Cohen disc? Haven't heard it myself but lots of good press.

Tindersticks Simple Pleasure if you can find it. If not, Tindersticks II. That's my advice. But probably not quite what you were in the mood for right now :)

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dre800/e829/e829163h3dn.jpg

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf500/f556/f55601k0x9d.jpg

newtrix1
01-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Yes but . . .
does she sing in that slightly retarded, cleft palate sorta way that so many other people find endearing? ;)

... a cat in a burlap sack being hit with a hammer. :eek:

hey, I didn't say that first.

dean_martin
01-06-2005, 05:23 PM

Here's a partial track list for an 80's comp I've been listening to lately that may have some similarities to Avalon.

U2 - I will follow
Modern English - Melt with you
The Church - Under the milkyway
The Cure - Pictures of you
New Order - Age of Consent
Echo and the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
Tears for Fears - Mad World
The Jesus and Mary Chain - April Skies
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Head On
David Bowie - Heroes
Psychedelic Furs - Heaven
The Pixies - Wave of Mutilation (the version from the soundtrack to Pump up the Volume is a little more atmospheric than the album version)

Other options might be Stereolab's Emperor Tomato Ketchup or Dots and Loops and Air's Moon Safari or the soundtrack to Virgin Suicides.

nobody
01-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Well, I, of course left work and didn't write anything down, so forgot some of the suggestions. The ones that stuck in my ind, they didn't have on vinyl, so I just grabbed a copy of Ultravox's Vienna and Gary Numan's Pleasure Principal. Those worked well enough.

I also grabbed MC5 High Times, which seems ok, but I like Back in the USA better for their studio stuff. Also grabbed a surprisingly good Elvis record, From Memphis, released in 69 right after his comeback special. He's in fine form and it's the original album where he released In the Ghetto. Absolutely a highlight from well into a point in his career most people would dismiss.

dean_martin
01-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Also grabbed a surprisingly good Elvis record, From Memphis, released in 69 right after his comeback special. He's in fine form and it's the original album where he released In the Ghetto. Absolutely a highlight from well into a point in his career most people would dismiss.

Cool. I've been listening to Suspicious Minds a lot lately - also from that period (and maybe even a little later).

nobody
01-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Yeah, Suspicious Minds is a bit later. I know the Sun stuff is supposed to be the only cool Elvis to a lot of people, but I don't really give a ****. I grew up with Elvis playing all around me and just kept on listening with my old man over the years. I'll always be an Elvis fan.

If you haven't heard it, I really do suggest the From Memphis album, it was right after his big TV special when he finally recorded new material that wasn't for a movie. He's got a great band behind him and outside of In the Ghetto, most of the track are upbeat soul/rock/r&b kinda stuff. It's a fun one to play and let people hear some Elvis tracks they've probably never heard before.

Dave_G
01-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Hell yeth, dood!

Ultravox Vienna AND Gary Numan Pleasure Principle?

Excellent choices.

Both of those titles are superb.

Didja get ellpee's or seedees?

Dave

nobody
01-07-2005, 01:25 PM
vinyl...place I went sells about 80% vinyl

they only wanted 5 bucks each for 'em in great shape too

-Jar-
01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
vinyl...place I went sells about 80% vinyl

they only wanted 5 bucks each for 'em in great shape too

yea man... for years and years the only Gary Numan I knew was "Cars" .. great toon. My pal had the 45 of it when we were kids. Used to play Asteroids on the 2600 with the lights out listening to that song on repeat.

Fast forward nearly 12 years... I'm at my friend's getting baked and he plays this album for me.. Freaking blew me away.

What is this? Sounds familar.. but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Gary Numan! Holy Hell. I had no idea.. I had always thought of him as a one-hit wonder. Well, PLEASURE PRINCIPLE killed that idea. A great album I had somehow totally missed along the way.

-jar

Dusty Chalk
01-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey, Ricky, glad you liked that recommendation, although, no, I didn't nominate her. I think I just put her on a insert C-word here....erm...I 'played her for you'. Or two. Don't remember.

Anyhows, if you haven't, you really must pick up her newest, The Finest Thing. It could perhaps be my favourite release by her, yet.

I'll listen to her again, to see if she sings in that with a cleft palette sort of way, but if memory serves, no, she don't. Kind of reminds me of Aimee Mann, in her singing style.

Nobody -- a bit late (I started to post last night, but it was a bit late then, too, but then my post got et, anyway, so ...never mind), but:

You may want to try some of what I've been calling the New Instrumentalists: Album Leaf, Tristeza, or my favourite, The Friends of Dean Martinez -- their current album, Random Harvest nearly made 'name grade' on my year end list, and definitely make top tier (if rankings are similar to liquor: name, top shelf, middle, bottom, swill). And I believe it's available on vinyl.

You could also go for the other Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry albums out around the same time: Flesh + Blood, Boys and Girls and Bete Noire.