Please help with recording Mp3 to DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help with recording Mp3 to DVD

mitch4t
12-17-2003, 12:42 PM
I've just moved to Denver and I want to make recordings of the killer jazz radio station here. I don't own a dvd recorder, but I'd buy one if I could archive the jazz progrmming of the local station. I've asked the guys at the Circuit City and other big box elecrotnics stores if this would be possible, and they really didn't know. I'd like to be able to record to the dvd player.......then convert it to mp3 and record the mp3 to dvd and have 60 or 70 hours of programming on one dvd disc. I listen to the jazz stations to find out what music to buy........so, the mp3 does not have to be audiophile quality.....I just want to use the combined massive storage of dvd and mp3 to archive these radio programs. I used to archive radio shows onto hifi vcr tapes and get 6 hours of recording time...but the tapes got too bulky after a while. Are dvd recorders capable of recording radio shows from a two channel system? I of course have an amp, tuner and a preamp. Any help would be appreciated.

turbodog
12-17-2003, 02:08 PM
A couple of possible routes here.
- if your DVD burner is in your computer:
There are tuner cards (usually primarily TV tuners, but some also have FM tuners, for example http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=19353&AID=51965&PID=421219). You can install one, and capture directly from radio to MP3 onto hard disk or DVD.

- If your DVD burner is a stand-alone (vido-oriented) unit, the trick is to get to MP3 format prior to putting it on DVD. There are stand-alone MP3/FM units which can do what you want:
http://shop.pcconnection.com/web/Shopping/Product.htm?MSCSProfile=&NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fweb%2fshopping%2fproduct%2ehtm%3f product_id%3d471676%26SourceID%3dk1479&SourceID=k1479&product_id=471676&NRNODEGUID=%7bC03E868D-1CEF-4F98-8F00-45BF12FCEA4E%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

This unit has a USB interface, so it will download to your PC OK, but for a stand-alone DVD burner, maybe not.