Sine Wave Data Collection Protocol [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sine Wave Data Collection Protocol

the hand of boredom
01-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi Guys (and Debbie)

This weekend I embark on a very anticipated step in my search for high fidelity. I finally got my computer fixed and was able to successfully download and copy to CD a series of sine waves from Snapbug, ranging from 10 Hz to 100 Hz. The batteries in the SPL reader are charged and I'm ready to do 'dis, as the homies would say.

My question to the panel would be what is the most accurate (or most utilized) method for collecting the data?

I read on one extensive website to place the SPL reader at the left ear position when sending the tones through the left speaker and at the right ear position when tuning the right speaker.

Where should I set the level control on the crossover for the subs? Should I leave it where it is currently? How do I know where to set the master volume control?

There will be peaks for sure, for example 60 Hz may push 84db and 97 Hz may push 71db, so what should I use for my reference? Should I use the tone generator in the receiver first to set a reference?

The way my system is set up currently:

Mains: Paradigm Studio 40.2, passed at 50 Hz
Subs: Paradigm Servo 15, crossed about 72 Hz in stereo, gain on sub control 50%, gain on X30 at -40db (just clockwise of the 1 o'clock position), with 0' phase adjustment

The method I was planning on using:

1. Right main then Left main (crossed at 50 Hz, from 100 to about 35 Hz) at a set master volume
2. Right sub then Left sub separately (crossed above 100 Hz, from 10 Hz to 100 Hz) at the same master level and a fixed sub master level
3. Right and Left sub together to see how they interact.

Then compare, analyze (using graphs), then make the neccessary adjustments, then remeasuring, eventually purchase the Rane PE17s.

How does that sound? How did you set up your testing? ANY help here would be better than watching the USA jr hockey team get absolutely CRUSHED by Russia. Priceless.

Thanks All.

THOB