StevieRayVaughn:Live In Austin,TX DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : StevieRayVaughn:Live In Austin,TX DVD

3-LockBox
01-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Wow, I finally get it. I never was much into SRV, thinking that he was over hyped, but this DVD has converted me. Dude could play...he tore up Hendrix tunes as well as his own tunes...what a showman! I liked how most of the audience just watched, wide-eyed, jaws agape. This is the best way to appreciate StevieRay IMO, since I had two of his albums on tape years ago and wasn't overly impressed (I had the excellent The Sky Is Crying on CD but lost it :( ). The DVD shows why this why the guy is revered as a guitar hero...and deservedly so.

N. Abstentia
01-06-2005, 04:31 AM
The dude was just amazing and you have to see him perform live (not so much in person...just a non studio performance) to to fully understand.

The natural reaction is always "it's such a shame he died so young" and it probably is, but he was taken when he was for a reason. It would have been worse to see him slowly self destruct and possibly go back to drugs and alcohol and either wither away or die of an overdose or something. At least he went out at the top of his game.

But on the other hand, it's a shame that we can't see what he would have evolved to if he would have stayed at the top of his game all these years :(

shokhead
01-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Seeing him interviewed,i dont think he would have gone back to drugs.

Hyfi
01-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Wow, I finally get it. I never was much into SRV, thinking that he was over hyped, but this DVD has converted me. Dude could play...he tore up Hendrix tunes as well as his own tunes...what a showman! I liked how most of the audience just watched, wide-eyed, jaws agape. This is the best way to appreciate StevieRay IMO, since I had two of his albums on tape years ago and wasn't overly impressed (I had the excellent The Sky Is Crying on CD but lost it :( ). The DVD shows why this why the guy is revered as a guitar hero...and deservedly so.

I have an older VHS recording of his Austin City Limits or Spotlight that kicks butt. Glad you discovered what he was about. Now what do you think of Henry Garza from Los Lonely Boys?

N. Abstentia
01-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I like Los Lonely Boys :)

However, I think the next big blues guitarist is gonna be Joe Bonnamassa.

Mark4583
01-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I was in Iowa in the early 80's and had a chance to see the Fabulous Thunderbirds at a small night club and Stevie was brought on stage by his brother to do a couple numbers, and even as raw of a talent he was then I was blown away! Ive been a SRV fan since.
Just so Happens I went this morning and got Blues Deluxe by Joe Bonamassa, after reading seveal posts on this forum I thought I would pick it up and try it, and Im impressed! could you see the two jamming at the same time together, would be awsome.

Hyfi
01-06-2005, 10:59 AM
I like Los Lonely Boys :)

However, I think the next big blues guitarist is gonna be Joe Bonnamassa.

I saw Joe open for both Indigenous and Greg Allman. Haven't heard much from him since then. Real good guitarist for sure!

shokhead
01-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Gary Moore of Thin Lizzy but almost never plays the states.

zapr
01-11-2005, 10:44 PM
.........Check out Live at the elMocambo on dvd. SRV at his best! Also live at Montreux!

zapr
01-11-2005, 10:58 PM
The dude was just amazing and you have to see him perform live (not so much in person...just a non studio performance) to to fully understand.

The natural reaction is always "it's such a shame he died so young" and it probably is, but he was taken when he was for a reason. It would have been worse to see him slowly self destruct and possibly go back to drugs and alcohol and either wither away or die of an overdose or something. At least he went out at the top of his game.

But on the other hand, it's a shame that we can't see what he would have evolved to if he would have stayed at the top of his game all these years :(
......You hit the nail right on the head. A friend of mine raved about SRV years ago but I was into heavier rock and didn't get it. Then I saw him on dvd. I was blown away! Now I'm a HUGE fan. I wish I could have seen him live. He converted my taste in music to all kinds of blues. That's where the true talents live........Zapr.

Hyfi
01-12-2005, 03:59 AM
He's not SRV....yet. I saw Eric Steckel when he just turned 12 (year and a half ago) and was totally blown away that a 12 y/o could play this good and aside from his pre-puberty voice, can sing the Blues with feeling. Last summer he toured the world opening for John Mayall. Check out these couple vids and see for yourself. Quality is slim, but you can get just how good this little wonder is from these clips.

http://www.ericsteckel.com/HTML/esb__esband_vids.htm

Lifes-A-Blast
01-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Try finding Live at the El Macombo Club DVD released by Sony. A1983 performance in Toronto at a small venue (looked to be 300 or under in audience) Good close up shots of the his guitar playing
Pretty decent sound for a 3 piece and mixed decently. I dubbed off the audio onto CD for future Live comp collection I'm putting together. He does 2 Hendrix numbers close to the master ...
Just a suggestion for ya Life