My Wallet List [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Wallet List

jasn
11-14-2003, 09:42 AM
I'm streaming 3wk.com at work and getting turned on to a lot of new music ($$trouble$$). But I'm gettin' up there and my memory isn't what it used to be. So, I have started keeping a little list of bands in my wallet so when I go into Newbury Comics I'm not just wandering around in a circle (like when I used to smoke a lot of grass). Here's some of what's on my list and any feedback would help:

(from 3wk)
Clearlake: Cedars
Swimming Pool Q's: Royal Academy of Reality
Phantom Planet: The Guest
My Morning Jacket: It Still Moves
Guided by Voices: Earthquake Glue
The Fire Theft: s/t
Ride: Birdman
20 Miles: Life Doesn't Rhyme

(other stuff on list)
The Bellrays
Andre WIlliams: Silky
New Wet Kojak
Vapors: Vaporized
Bad Company: Burnin' Sky
Sebadoh: Harmacy
Beta Band: II

So, what's in your wallet?

Troy
11-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I have one of those "WTF was I looking for again?" lists too.

Here's a few of the titles/bands on it. Most of these were discussed/dicovered on this and other web boards.

Astroturf
The Nines
The Rudess / Morganstern Project
the toms
The Irresponsibles
John Faye Power Trip
Discipline
Tempus Fugit
The recent Echolyn discs
Tim Pure
Vinyl Kings
Tunnels
Chroma Key
Foreveer Einstein
A.C.T.
The Standard
Alamaailman Vasrat
Jody Foster's Army
Tindersticks

-Jar-
11-14-2003, 10:06 AM
I have a little paper with band names written on it tacked up in my cube.. here's the bands..

Lenola
Absinthe Blind
Criteria
Freakwater
Mira
Radar Brothers
Kinder Atom
Kinski
Mitterson Strings
Glifted
Voyager One
Black Tambourine
Loddio Bolocko
Asure Ray
Antarctic
Arcturus
and Oceans

This list goes back over a year.. I just jot bands down on here if I read about them or hear them in the car on the way to work or at lunch or something.. :D

-jar-

Booji Boy
11-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Jodie Foster's Army

You're into hardcore punk? Or are you just buying it for the name?

Dusty Chalk
11-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Thank the inventor for Post-It Notes. Key: if I have a question mark next to the title, it means, "Do I have this title by this artist?" or "Do I want this title by this artist?"; if I have a question mark by the artist, it means, "What do they sound like?"; if I have an exclamation point next to something, it means, "must get immediately."

I'll post the list itself, later (it's in my car).
Absinthe BlindWhat can you tell me about them? I've heard good things, but need to know more.
and OceansThey rock, but not all their albums are good. I wasn't as impressed with Cypher as I was with A.M.G.O.D., f'r'instance.

Dave_G
11-14-2003, 10:58 AM
I want I want I want.

My mom told me when I was a kid that was my middle name:eek:!

Anyway, I want:

That new Crimso dvd
Buncha Horror genre dvd's
2 more Camel dvd's
the new Nektar cd
the new Marillion dvd, avail. only on marillion.com
that ZZTop boxed set
a rare Mi-Sex cd
and more titles from Clepsydra, Collage, Pendragon, and Galahad.

Just got my hands on a Timothy Pure cd called "Island of the Misfit Toys". Different stuff for sure but sounds pretty good.

I want the Cult dvd, the new Pearl Jam dvd, a Yellowman dvd, that Wailers band dvd, and that new Allman Brothers dvd.

Just got my hands on Manfred Mann's earth Band "The Roaring Silence". Never heard anything by them except "Blinded"...

I want that new Pallas concert dvd, and also the rest of the Yes dvd's that I don't have.

Whaddaya know, I just got ahold of a cd by DEYSS called "At-King". These guys are an obscure German/Swiss neo prog band and are pretty killer.

Oh, I also want badly 2 Camel cd's, Rajaz and "Harbour of Tears".

And I also happen to have an extra brand new import copy (not a copy but the real thing) of the new Rick Wakeman prog cd "Out There" if anyone wants to trade me something prog for it.

Dave

Troy
11-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Jody Foster's Army- You're into hardcore punk? Or are you just buying it for the name?

I heard a song by them on a surf radio show a few years back and they did an amazing surf-punk cover of Vince Guraldi's "Linus and Lucy". It was hysterical.

You have this?

Snowbunny
11-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Dido - Life for Rent
John Cale - Hobosapiens
Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn
(Indescribable Toronto band - album on back-order for me at mymusic)
Beth Gibbons - Out of Season
OutKast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below
Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (on its way)
The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart (out of Montreal)

-Jar-
11-14-2003, 12:15 PM
I want I want I want.

My mom told me when I was a kid that was my middle name:eek:!

a Yellowman dvd,

Dave

Oh man, I'd love to see that, I bet it would be very entertaining.

-jar

Jim Clark
11-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Some I'm hoping to grab sooner or later:

Richard X Presents His X-Factor Vol. 1
Paul Van Dyk-Reflections
Camouflage-Sensor
And One-Aggressor
State Of Synthpop 2003-5 discs V/A
Low Technicians-Rememberance
Four Tet-whatever that one is called
B!Machine
Beborn Beton
Cosmicity
Diesleboy
MODyssey
Hybrid
Cat Power-Maybe
X-Ray Spex

and a stack of misc.

jc

DarrenH
11-14-2003, 01:07 PM
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone
California Guitar Trio - A Christmas Album
Uriah Heep - Sweet Freedom
Camel - Breathless and Nod And A Wink
Frameshift - Unweaving The Rainbow. Written by Henning Pauly of Chain featuring James LaBrie on vocals. Sounds very interesting. Troy would hate this.
New release by Chain. Can't remember the title.
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Adagio - Underworld
Magellan - Impossible Figures

Just ordered:

Pineapple Thief - Variations On A Dream. Supposedly, a blend of Porky Tree and Radiohead. We shall see. Sounds interesting anyway.
Eloy - Power and the Passion
Strawbs - Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios

Dave_G
11-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Troy says that Tangent is like the rest of the flower kings stuff. i.e. lots of noodling.

Dave

DarrenH
11-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Troy says that Tangent is like the rest of the flower kings stuff. i.e. lots of noodling.

Dave

That's okay, I don't mind noodling. I've read that some sections of the music recreate the Canterbury sound, which I happen to like.

And damn dude, you don't want much do ya :eek:

Darren

Dave_G
11-14-2003, 01:46 PM
I get a little annoyed with Roines noodling too. :p

Ya, I DO want a lot of stuff!

:D

Troy also hates these stupid icons!

:p

Dave

Dusty Chalk
11-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Okay, here's my list:

Aluminum Group (?)
Pedals
Amp
L'Amour Invisible
Saint Cecilia Sinsemilla
Anathema
Serenade (reissue)
Atari Teenage Riot
(?which)
Conspiracy
The Unknown
Cruxshadows
Ethernaut
Cryptopsy
Whisper Supremacy (?want)
Deadweight
Stroking the Moon (?have)
new one
Do Make Say Think
Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn (no Snowb [pronounced "snow-bee"], not because you had it on your list, I've had it on my list for a while, they're probably my favourite of the GYBE side projects)
Doormouse (?want)
Broken
The Album?
Freaked Out Mess
Messed Out Freak
w/Venetian Snares "skelechairs"
Enchant
Tug of War (?want)
Event
Scratching at the Surface (?want)
Form
Symbiosis (?want)
Funkstorung
Appetite For Disctruction (!)
Industrial Monk
Prophecies
Gretchen Lieberum
(?)
M83
Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts
Manitoba
Start Breaking My Heart
Mice Parade
(?have)
Microstoria
Reprovisers (want? includes Mouse on Mars, "Pull Moll")
MRI
Rhythmogenesis (?)
My Computer
Vulerabilia
Namanax
Cascading Waves of Electronic Turbulence (?want)
Mike Oldfield
Tubular Bells 2003 (DVD-A)
Adam Pierce
(?want)
Project Pitchfork
Entities
Postman Syndrome
Terraforming (?)
Recess Theory
They Would Walk Into the Picture
Ryuichi Sakamoto
BTTB
Billy Sheehan
Compression
Skyclad
(?have)
Skyworks (Holdsworth)
(whatever)
Slowdeck
Multiple Offenses
Unto Ashes
Empty into White
Xinlisupreme
Murder License (!)
Tomorrow Never Comes
All You Need Is Love Was Not True
Zero Hour
Metamorphosis
various artists compilations
Corner of the Mouth (Moby, Mouse on Mars, et al)
Hats Off/Roy Harper

More translation -- in my case, a lot of the time, the problem is, I don't know what I have. For instance, I now have a Mice Parade album or two, but don't know which ones. Ditto Skyclad.

Also, a lot of these are sparked by actually seeing the disk, and picking it up, looking at the cover, and wondering if what is inside is as cool as the cover. I no longer just buy it any more.

Booji Boy
11-14-2003, 06:47 PM
I heard a song by them on a surf radio show a few years back and they did an amazing surf-punk cover of Vince Guraldi's "Linus and Lucy". It was hysterical.

You have this?

Yup, I do. Their version of "Linus and Lucy" is actually called "Charlie Brown (Schroeder version)." They recorded that back in the early 80s.
Good stuff, let me know if you're interested in hearing it, and don't expect the rest of JFA's stuff to sound like that song (it's much more hardcore).

Davey.
11-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Okay, here's my list:

Aluminum Group (?)
Pedals

Ya know, this is really a nice album. I do remember recommending it around here ages ago but never recently. Not sure how much you are into the whole orchestrated Burt Bacharach type pop thing, but if you are this is one fine album. Produced by Jim O'Rourke and taking many cues from his own similar Eureka album. The epic opening track runs about 9.5 minutes and is kind of a modern twisting and turning classic. Probably worth the cost of the CD if you can find it used. Lots of Chicago's finest contribute including like-minded Sean O'Hagan of High Llamas fame and Doug McCombs of Tortoise/Eleventh Dream Day and Sally Timms of the Mekons and Edith Frost and lots more including the previously mentioned O'Rourke on keyboard stuff and guitar. Nice recording too. Minty Fresh.

But if you aren't really into that lounge scene, it might not be the perfect match :D

John Cale - Hobosapiens
I almost ordered that myself a couple weeks ago or so from cd-wow since it hasn't been released in the US yet. But then I decided that I'm just not really that much of a John Cale fan. Critics love him though. If you don't know much from him you might wanna proceed cautiously as some of it is pretty esoteric or avant-garde or just plain strange. I figured I would probably only enjoy about half of it at the most so decided to skip it for now. Still quite a bit of his past work I haven't heard. Of course, with your new found appreciation of the Velvet Underground it may be to your liking, although Lou Reed had Cale voted out of the band before that third album you were recently talking about so it has a less experimental sound than the harder edged first two. Let me know if you do decide to get it ;)

Troy
11-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Booji-

E-mail me about the JFA song. We can do a trade!

Troy
paiva@designshed.com

Snowbunny
11-19-2003, 05:50 PM
I But then I decided that I'm just not really that much of a John Cale fan. Critics love him though. If you don't know much from him you might wanna proceed cautiously as some of it is pretty esoteric or avant-garde or just plain strange. I figured I would probably only enjoy about half of it at the most so decided to skip it for now. Still quite a bit of his past work I haven't heard. Of course, with your new found appreciation of the Velvet Underground it may be to your liking, although Lou Reed had Cale voted out of the band before that third album you were recently talking about so it has a less experimental sound than the harder edged first two. Let me know if you do decide to get it ;)

It was actually a nostalgic selection. J.J. Cale was big with my geetar-playing buddy, Keith back in the 70's. I remember he had Troubadour which was really nice and I recognized the covers of the albums, Really and Naturally from his collection. I always remembered him as being southern-style, guitar-driven rock.

I was also somewhat influenced by the positive reviews and the great album title.

Interesting fact about his VU connection. I bet you'd be real good at Six Degrees of Velvet Underground! ;)

Davey.
11-19-2003, 05:53 PM
It was actually a nostalgic selection. J.J. Cale was big with my geetar-playing buddy, Keith back in the 70's.
But John Cale has no connection to J.J. Cale. Is that what makes it nostalgic? ;)

Snowbunny
11-19-2003, 06:13 PM
But John Cale has no connection to J.J. Cale. Is that what makes it nostalgic? ;)

Am I an idiot or what? You mean they're not the same guy?

(JIC you didn't notice, I'm winning, as usual...)

Davey.
11-19-2003, 06:39 PM
.....I'm winning, as usual
Should I get out the darts? Or do you have something else in mind? You know, winning isn't everything :D

Dusty Chalk
11-19-2003, 08:35 PM
JIC you didn't notice, I'm winning, as usual...No, you're not.

Finch Platte
11-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Anyway, I want:

that ZZTop boxed set

Are you talking about the first 6 discs remixed and boxed up (The ZZ Top Sixpack)?

If so, I have it & would make you a copy.

fp
swagkingathotmaildotcomp

Finch Platte
11-19-2003, 09:04 PM
*coff, coff* SWEET Freedom, sorry.

I've got this one- if you want to check it out, lemme know. It's got a boner song on it that's as good as the rest of 'em.

fp
swagkingathotmaildotcomp