Dream Theater: Live at Budokan// kix axe [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater: Live at Budokan// kix axe

3-LockBox
01-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Wow, one really needs to see this band live to appreciate how the wall of sound is produced. LaBrie's voice is actually tolerable; more 'metal' than opera. I'm probably not familiar enough with a lot this band's material to give a performance evaluation, but I'm enjoying the sound quality and they seem to be 'on'. The mix is very good as it is easy to pick out instruments. Even the keyboardist gives a good accounting of himself.

Visually, some of the camera shots are a little jumpy and some scenes seem to be off center and slapped together. I don't know what effect the editor is going for, but it seems ameturish at times. But this is a concert, and the picture is gravy for the goose. I like that the crowd is mixed down, since we see them, its not important to hear them until the end of a song. One of my pet peeves with live shows, in person or taped, is an over rambuncious crowd.

Does anyone here have DTs new CD as well as this DVD? How does this performance compare?

progfan
01-06-2005, 05:39 AM
It is indeed a very good DVD and an excellent DT performance. I agree with you about the choice of some shots and angles though. What's with all those strange off center shots of Labrie's face??

By new CD, do you mean "Train of Thought"? I think it's very good but seems to be controversial among DT fans because it's heavier, a bit more modern and less prog rocky, although most of the tracks are very long. But I do think the songs generally come off better on the DVD than ToT.

Oh and I also agree with you about mixing crowd noises. That damn Rush in Rio DVD would be a classic if it wasn't for the audience being louder than the band. Sounds like a Beatles concert or something!

MasterCylinder
01-06-2005, 06:09 AM
I saw this same tour in Albuquerque last September -- as far as technical ability is concerned, this band is most definitely on top of the world of prog rock at this point in time.

At the show I saw, DT opened for YES......they made YES look and sound outdated......the nerve !

Scroll down and look at "similar threads" and you can see where we have posted on this subject before.

And be sure to look at the bonus materials on disc #2 of your DVD -- it is a great "day-in-the-life look at this group of talented people and their dedication to the art and the business.

BarryL
01-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Oh and I also agree with you about mixing crowd noises. That damn Rush in Rio DVD would be a classic if it wasn't for the audience being louder than the band. Sounds like a Beatles concert or something!

The Rush DVD is fun, but you're right about the volume of the fans. It's assanine to try to reproduce the concert experience on a DVD. People want to see and hear the band, not the audience. The videotographers love those South American and Eastern European audiences because they know all of the lyrics and aren't shy about singing. But as a TV viewer, I don't want to hear the audience singing. I think this trend will pass quickly as the medium grows up and learns from its mistakes. We no longer see psychedelic cheesy electronic effects in the middle of these videos anymore.

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2005, 09:53 AM
The Rush DVD is fun, but you're right about the volume of the fans. It's assanine to try to reproduce the concert experience on a DVD. People want to see and hear the band, not the audience. The videotographers love those South American and Eastern European audiences because they know all of the lyrics and aren't shy about singing. But as a TV viewer, I don't want to hear the audience singing. I think this trend will pass quickly as the medium grows up and learns from its mistakes. We no longer see psychedelic cheesy electronic effects in the middle of these videos anymore.

Read the insert that comes with the Rush DVD. Due to rain and travel delays there was no time for the band or the camera crew to do any sound checks. That might account for some of the problems on this one.