El Cheapo Home Theater? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : El Cheapo Home Theater?

wolfereeno
01-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I've got a decent conventional 2 channel stereo that I'm pretty happy with (nad, sound dynamics, rega). I'm not a huge movie watcher at home. Not as much as I listen to cd's and vinyl.

But I'm wondering if there's a simple & cheap way to add rear and center speakers without having to upgrade my current stuff.

Ideally I'd like an add on that would go between my TV and Stereo and would provide a surround decoder, small middle and rear speakers, and then pass the conventional left & right signals through to my stereo.

Are there products that do this specifically?

Could I get one of those cheap surround systems and use everything but the 2 front speakers and have that go through my stereo?

If so, any recommendations for a simple rig? I don't have much room behind my couch so the rears have to be really small. Wireless ones would be even nicer!

Much thanks!

Stu-r
01-06-2005, 04:48 PM
A Sony center - about $70 street price. A pair of Sony bookshelfs - about $50-60 a pair street price. Kevlar cones, tweeter to about 50khz. Cheap, quick fix. Or a Cerwin-Vega center and two surrounds - about $180 street price. If you want something better, two pair of SDAT E-5s - a bit bigger, much better sound, about $200 for the four (of which you can use one for center, two for surounds, and have a spare). The review of SDAT has more info. You can't buy the parts and cabinet materials for what any of these speakers cost.

drseid
01-07-2005, 02:54 AM
Try Outlaw Audio on the web. They have a $699 pre/pro that can bypass the digital processing for stereo listening (or pass through another stereo pre-amp), and they sell monoblocks and multi-channel amps that are relatively inexpensive.

For speakers, maybe Gallo Acoustics Micros?

---Dave

wolfereeno
01-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Try Outlaw Audio on the web. They have a $699 pre/pro that can bypass the digital processing for stereo listening (or pass through another stereo pre-amp), and they sell monoblocks and multi-channel amps that are relatively inexpensive.

For speakers, maybe Gallo Acoustics Micros?

---Dave

I you've missed my point.

Ideally there would be something on the market made for this kind of expansion - basically HALF of a full surround system made for augmenting a conventional stereo with a minimal but functional center and rear speakers. But I'm not aware of such a thing.

If there's no such then then I'm wondering if I could use one of those cheap radio shack 5.1 boomboxes or < $200 mini systems. Then I want to throw out the front L & R speakers and just use my regular stereo. I just want center and rear channels plus a decoder that will work along with my regular stereo.

-Bill

hershon
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
You get what you pay for. Usually something is better than nothing but in this case, nothing is better than something. You can get something decent between $800-$1250 or so, but undreneath that your just asking for mediocirty at its best.

drseid
01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Well, that is what the pass-through on the 950 is for. You can either run the processing on all of your speakers through it, or you can use your current pre-amp through the pass through for stereo only. As far as just an expansion pre/pro, I am not aware of any... I think the 950 is about as close to (and as cheap as) what you are looking for.

As far as a Radio Shack boombox, I would avoid... It is your money, but I would rather not have surround sound than listen to that.

---Dave

wolfereeno
01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
You get what you pay for. Usually something is better than nothing but in this case, nothing is better than something. You can get something decent between $800-$1250 or so, but undreneath that your just asking for mediocirty at its best.

I guess I have to admit that I'm totally unconvinced as to the value of surround sound audio. I've never seen a movie in a theater (even good ones) where I felt the additional speakers added anything meaningful to the movie. And I've never witnessed a good demo in any audio store. Usually they show some crap like Independence Day or Twister where the rear sound pops out at you every now and then, but adds little to make up for the fact that the movies suck. I'd rather watch a great movie on a black and white screen!

That said, I do see msgs here and talk to people I respect who say when its in your own home it can be a different amimal. So I guess I'm a little curious.

Audio through my main system sounds a little disconnected from the screen since the speakers are about 5-10' away from each side of the TV. A center channel could be cool for dialog which sometimes I have a hard time understanding. As for the rears, I guess I'm just curious and want to dabble.

But there's no way I see any justification yet to spend $1200 let alone $500 just to hear some gunshots that are behind me. I'd take that money and add to my bedroom recording studio instead or buy more records.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

-Bill

hershon
01-08-2005, 12:15 AM
I use 75% of my home theater system to play CD's & listen to the TV audio. If all you are going to do is play DVD's, then maybe I can see your point that it's not worth money to hear sound effects per se. If you do intend to use your home theater for CD's & TV audio, you might want to reevaluate your position.

But there's no way I see any justification yet to spend $1200 let alone $500 just to hear some gunshots that are behind me. I'd take that money and add to my bedroom recording studio instead or buy more records.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

-Bill[/QUOTE]

drseid
01-08-2005, 03:25 AM
I guess I have to admit that I'm totally unconvinced as to the value of surround sound audio. I've never seen a movie in a theater (even good ones) where I felt the additional speakers added anything meaningful to the movie. And I've never witnessed a good demo in any audio store. Usually they show some crap like Independence Day or Twister where the rear sound pops out at you every now and then, but adds little to make up for the fact that the movies suck. I'd rather watch a great movie on a black and white screen!

That said, I do see msgs here and talk to people I respect who say when its in your own home it can be a different amimal. So I guess I'm a little curious.

Audio through my main system sounds a little disconnected from the screen since the speakers are about 5-10' away from each side of the TV. A center channel could be cool for dialog which sometimes I have a hard time understanding. As for the rears, I guess I'm just curious and want to dabble.
-Bill

Well, I get your point about some of the mindless action movies of our time. Being somewhat of a movie buff, I prefer movies like Sullivan's Travels, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalag 17 and Rebecca ( just to name a few) to just about anything coming out nowadays...

That said, I know that my HT system will blow away anything I have heard in the theater for recent stuff too... It uses *much* higher quality speakers to start.

The problem is, while it is indeed possible to better a movie theater sound system at home, I do not think you will be satisfied with the solutions you are considering...

Just like with your front speakers, to achieve good sound costs money. There are a number of high value speakers/brands out there that will do the job quite well... But at the price point you are looking at (less than $500 all in), I think bettering a theater is unrealistic (but not impossible, I suppose).

If bettering the sound from a theater is your goal, I would recommend not going there, or for you to spend *a lot* more money. You could always return the speakers if you do not like the sound in your home...

If achieving satisfying surround sound is your goal, then 500 for the *speakers* will be enough... But the processing and amplification is still going to cost you.

Keep in mind when considering your purchase that if you get high enough quality amplification, coupled with some high quality speakers that tonally match your mains, you can use the system for multi-channel DVD-A and SACD use as well.

Just for reference as an FYI, a recent DVD I like for testing rear channel use (and I think the movie is also quite good) is Master and Commander. That movie makes excellent use of the rear channels for subtle sound effects and enhancing the atmosphere. Not *all* movies use the rear channels for bullet effects.

Good luck,

---Dave