Remote Control Suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Suggestions

chakotay2
01-04-2005, 08:18 PM
My dog ate my remote control for my AV receiver. I have long wanted to get one of those fancy LCD screen remote controls (Like the Sony AV-3100).

I don't have the old remote to program the new remote with however (it didn't come out of the dog in a real usable form).

My question is...for under $200.00... what are some suggestions for a good AV remote?

Will any of them hook up to my computer for programming or to download the latest IR codes?

Thanks,
Allen

bargainseeker
01-04-2005, 08:28 PM
First, I suggest you browse the remote control reviews at Remote Central (http://www.remotecentral.com/remotes.htm). Based on your price and requirements, I would specifically recommend the Logitech Harmony H659 (http://www.remotecentral.com/sst659/index.html).

chakotay2
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I have been reading reviews of this model (Harmony H659).

I am quite impressed given the price.

Thanks for the input. I will do some more research. Any ideas on where to pick it up the cheapest?

Thanks,
Allen

bargainseeker
01-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Any ideas on where to pick it up the cheapest?I suggest Random Source (http://www.randomsource.com/productpage.asp?un=151515&s=1) or The Nerds.net (http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=273503&s=1). Both vendors have good prices for this remote control and both have been highly rated by buyers as documented at BizRate.com (http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide/guide.html).

IsmaVA
01-06-2005, 03:37 PM
The so called advantages of the Harmony control are still beyond my understanding. Why do you consider it such a great control?

The MX-500 (or the new "customer level" model the URC-200) is so much better, it comes pre-loaded full of codes, has full learning capabilities and can even work through walls (it emits both IR and RF signals).

bargainseeker
01-06-2005, 04:19 PM
The so called advantages of the Harmony control are still beyond my understanding. Why do you consider it such a great control?

The MX-500 (or the new "customer level" model the URC-200) is so much better, it comes pre-loaded full of codes, has full learning capabilities and can even work through walls (it emits both IR and RF signals).I have both the Harmony H659 and the Home Theater Master MX-500 remote controls. I like them both. I recommended the Harmony to him because he no longer has his old remote control to learn from and because he wanted to program it on his computer. I felt that the Harmony was a better fit to his requirements. I also directed him to reviews of other remote controls so that he could make his own decision.

IsmaVA
01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
I have both the Harmony H659 and the Home Theater Master MX-500 remote controls. I like them both. I recommended the Harmony to him because he no longer has his old remote control to learn from and because he wanted to program it on his computer. I felt that the Harmony was a better fit to his requirements. I also directed him to reviews of other remote controls so that he could make his own decision.

Bargain, my comment was in no way a challenge to your suggestion, only a refelction of my ignorance about the harmony and a request for clarification.

Now, the MX-500 includes a HUGE library of pre-programmed codes and it is a very, VERY flexibla a powerfull remote control.

Would you care to elaborate on the advantages of the Harmony over the MX-500 (or their new consumer level cousins)?

Isma

bargainseeker
01-08-2005, 05:56 AM
Now, the MX-500 includes a HUGE library of pre-programmed codes and it is a very, VERY flexibla a powerfull remote control.

Would you care to elaborate on the advantages of the Harmony over the MX-500 (or their new consumer level cousins)?I have had an MX-500 for some time for our main home theater system. I received a Harmony H659 as a surprise Christmas present for our lower level home theater system. I therefore have considerable experience using the MX-500 while I am still in the setting up process with the H659. My experience with the MX-500 has been that the preprogrammed codes are hardly ever complete. For each component, I usually end up needing to learn one or many key functions from the original remote control. My initial impression of the H659 is that the preprogrammed codes available through their web setup are more complete. This difference is the primary reason I recommended the H659 over the MX-500 to someone who has lost his original remote.

IsmaVA
01-10-2005, 10:22 AM
OK . . . thanks.

Have you had any problems with the IR frequency limits (if any) of the Harmony?

I had many problems (not being able to learn some commands, or reproduced them after the learning process was "succesfully" completed) with other high end remote controls, the cause being their inability to replicate some of the higher IR frequencies used by some manufacturers.

Iskreemman
01-10-2005, 07:16 PM
I just bought the Harmony 659 and I must say it is the best $130 I have spent in a long time...I programed my whole system in 15min its great

bargainseeker
01-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Have you had any problems with the IR frequency limits (if any) of the Harmony?I have not so far, but I do not have any problematic components that I am aware of.