Nosie from Sub... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nosie from Sub...

houstonnewb
01-04-2005, 06:10 PM
I am new to the all the HT hobby and I have an issue with noise coming from my sub. Whenever I turn on the lightswitch for the room my setup is in I get distortion and pops coming from the sub. Specifically the switch for the light but not the ceiling fan and the fluroscent light for my aquarium and that is it.

I purchased the Cerwin Vega AVS 5.1 HT Speaker System and have an older model(2000) Kenwood AV reciever. The sub has an Auto function where it shuts down after twenty minutes when not recieving a signal which I disabled because it needed to high of volume level for the sub to kick in. so the subwoofer is constantly on. Is this a problem? Could this be the problem?

I am new to the hobby and really enjoy the setup I have for the price I paid and it sounds good to my unexperienced ears for what its worth.

Also I have an old pair of Polk R10s that were purchased with the reciever and since I live in an apartment and could not mount the rear speakers I am using the polks for my rear speakers. Should I reverse that and switch the polks for the main speakers or leave it is as. I am a little concerned having the smaller speakers on the floor but if I the sound will improve I am all for it .I am going to try it just curious about your opinion.

Thanks for the help.

BillB
01-05-2005, 04:50 AM
The noise you're hearing from your sub when you turn the lightswitch on is likely due to the fact that they're on the same circuit. Whether you're overloading that circuit I can't say. Is there another outlet you could plug the sub into?

Bill

mosfet wrecker
01-05-2005, 06:12 AM
Is your subwoofers power supply fed through a torrodial transformer? I have found these to be very noisy, especially pops and thumps when switching electrical appliances in the same house. A 0.1 mfd capacitor on the A.C into the transformer might help this although there should be one of some kind already fitted. A small ferrite ring with the A.C lines wraped around a couple of turns as close to the transformer as possible may also help.

shokhead
01-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Try an adapter on the sub ac,from a 3 prong to a double,no ground. Wont hurt to try.