Floor Standing Speakers?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floor Standing Speakers??

johny747
01-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi,
I'm a little confused!! I was thinking of buying the Jamo D870. They are cost about $1600. I will be listening to music mostly and watch fewer movies. What are the other good brands you all recommend?

enrique
01-04-2005, 02:32 PM
B&W 603s3's

drseid
01-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Some reliable brands in your price range for floorstanders are:

Totem
Magnepan
PSB

Another option is the Thor speaker kit found at madisound.com

The Thor should sound absolutely great, and could be built in a couple hours.

---Dave

Mr Peabody
01-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Give a listen to the Dynaudio Audience 62 or 72's. I find Dynaudio an excellent speaker and a good value, maybe not cheap, but a good value when compared to comparably priced speakers. I own a few different pair. If you would consider a bookshelf the Dynaudio 52se is great. I'm not sure what the 72 goes for now but the other two you can get for under your budgeted amount.

RGA
01-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Agree on the Dynaudios. Also consider Audio Note. Other brands I have not heard yet but people who "get" what Audio Note is doing seem to like Jean-Marie Reynaud, some Spendor speakers, and Harbeth. They are not available here but they might be available in your area and worth auditioning if you can.

shokhead
01-05-2005, 06:53 AM
All good suggestions but all could be wrong. It would help narrow the suggestions to know whats running the speakers.

N. Abstentia
01-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Definitely put Paradigm Studio's on your audition list.

SpankingVanillaice
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
How come no one mentions about the great JBL monitors since I really think they are top of the line. I really like the JBL Studio Series and the E series that came out. But for Pro I like the JBL LSR Series or the 4400 series.

anamorphic96
01-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Not to sound rude but JBL home products are not that good. The Northridge series is ok but nothing great. They are not the company they used to be and live alot off there name. 20 to 25 years ago might have been a different story. Granted this is a subjective opinion and open for interpretation.

There are so many other speaker companies out there offering far more for the money. Look at the Paradigm Monitor series and PSB Image series as examples. Both lines are offer huge amounts of speaker for little money and hit just about every price point. Build quality is first rate for the money. There are many other companies that offer this kinda sound for cheap prices as well.

The pro stuff with JBL is a different story but there again you dont want to use studio monitors in home theatre style situations. Studio equipment such as monitors are designed for near field listening. This is where alot of JBL's energy goes these days and it shows.

Cheers and no offense.
Glenn

dvjorge
01-05-2005, 02:51 PM
go and listen the Paradigms Studio 60 V3 and you will remember this suggestion for long time. They are awesome and just around 1600 bucks.
Jorge

SpankingVanillaice
01-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Arent the Studio Series better than the Northridge series. I have a pair of JBL S26 studio series.

anamorphic96
01-05-2005, 06:11 PM
The Northridge and Studio series are at the same level. Northridge is just a newer series.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2005, 07:17 PM
www.acousticsounds.com is an authorized internet dealer for Harbeth. From the looks of what I've seen they may not be in the targeted budget.

RGA
01-05-2005, 08:26 PM
www.acousticsounds.com is an authorized internet dealer for Harbeth. From the looks of what I've seen they may not be in the targeted budget.

Yeah I have not heard them nor do I know their pricing - My statement was a bit of a misrepresentation anyway since the people who like both also don't suggest they sound anything alike - that of course is fine - I like dissimilar sounding speakers - I am willing to accept a few idiocyncracies in speakers if they are doing certain things really well - but above the sonics I'm more interested in the music reproduction - which is almost not quite the same thing admittedly.

bullit67
01-15-2005, 10:57 PM
How about Energy the Connoisseur seires is a great speaker for the money or if you want to spend the big bucks go for the Veritas

SpankingVanillaice
01-16-2005, 09:18 AM
The Northridge and Studio series are at the same level. Northridge is just a newer series.You say the Northridge and Studio are the same then why does the Studio Series cost twice as much???

texlle
01-16-2005, 11:58 AM
JBL's are top of the line at Circuit City..........................