Need help deciding (dvd player) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding (dvd player)

Ryanm
01-04-2005, 06:55 AM
this one
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3964426
or
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3980978

The panasonic seems to have more features but lacks SACD
The toshiba has SACD

N. Abstentia
01-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Well I hate Toshiba's problematic players, so I'm already biased.

Do you have SACD inputs on your receiver?

Ryanm
01-04-2005, 08:29 AM
I have a yamaha 5760 with 8 channel preinputs so the decoder to reciever part isn't a problem. It's more of a which would be better, which has less problems, Do i really need sacd? I like panasonic, and I've heard good things about them.

Hawkeye
01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Personally, I'd buy a cheaper combo unit for now and that way have access to both formats. I don't think anyone can say, with any degree of certainty, what the future holds for either SACD's or DVD-A's. They certainly aren't getting much sales hype from the music business. Do you ever wonder why not?

eisforelectronic
01-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Pioneer

carracr625
01-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Well, I just went throught the whole DVD player shopping thing. The my advice is to find similar models in local stores, and check out how they look on the type of TV you'll be watching (tube, DLP, CRT rear proj, ect...). Check out all the features (menus & such), and if you plan to use the internal D/A converters, try to listen to the players on the same type of speakers (not necessarily the ones you have, just the same set in the store). These players are light weight and easily swapped out, so if you find a good sales person, they should have no problem making this happen for you. This should give you a good idea of how each of them perform. You can also check out reviews on this site and others like it to see how people that actually own these players like them. I mainly check these type of reviews for durability issues that can't be known by just checking the unit out in the stores. One of the sites that I used regularly is CNET (http://www.cnet.com/) . They go into pretty lengthy explainations of the features & benefits of each model they review. Once you decide on a model check out prices online before you buy. Good luck, and remember to set a budget because, just like anything else, what you had expected to pay can easliy double before you finish.

shokhead
01-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I just the whole DVD thing to. I wanted one for cd's and SACD and DVD-A .That was easy but then a multi disc and only a couple to look at. Found a Yamaha C750 that is all that and plays everyother disc to. It seem to have pretty good spec's and audio ability for $299.

SAPSEC
01-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Get Pioneer 563 or Yamaha 540.

recoveryone
01-07-2005, 08:32 AM
I own the Pioneer 545a and it works great on all formats (SCAD,DVD-A ...etc) bass management can be a issuse on some disc. The picture is awesome. For a low end combo unit you can't beat this. If your looking for more go with the 547a.