Parametric EQ purchase [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Parametric EQ purchase

yamdsp-a1
12-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Thinking about getting myself one of these for x-mas.

Is there anything I should know about them prior to buying?

The couple I have seen around all seem to be professional rack mounted types but taht should be aokay shouldn't it?

What should I expect to pay for a decent EQ? THe ones I have seen are about $350 is that reasonable? I also saw one at Rat Shack, woud that be any good or just something to avoid? I am thinking avoid...

Thanks for any and all wisdom!

Yam

bikehikefish
12-17-2003, 11:33 AM
The Behringer Feedback Destroyer, which is recommended by many on this forum, retails for about $120. You can find it on Ebay for about $80.

Woochifer
12-17-2003, 12:19 PM
The Behringer Feedback Destroyer is probably the least expensive option out there, which is why so many people use that model. People who've tried it out say that it definitely colors the sound and introduces noise into the signal path with midrange and highs, but with low frequencies those weaknesses are not audible. The Behringer does all of the filtering in the digital domain.

$350 is about what you expect to pay for a decent analog parametric EQ. The one from Rane costs about that much and it's what SVS sells through their website. Supposedly, those models are better than the Behringer if you intend to use it anywhere other than the bass range, and just from glancing at the instructions, they seem easier to use than the Behringer. But, if you only plan to use a parametric EQ in conjunction with a subwoofer and are willing to deal with a bit of a learning curve, the Behringer might be all that you need.