Anybody remember a film from the 80's called "Looker"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody remember a film from the 80's called "Looker"?

markw
01-03-2005, 08:51 PM
It had Susan Dey, of "Partridge Family" fame, as a movie star. They took multi faceted photos of her and, lo and behold, they could use a computer animate them so they no longer needed live actors or actress' anymore.

Talk about science fiction. We all know that could never happen, right? ;)

And, speaking of old movies, I hear they are redoing "Logan's Run".. Anyone remember that one, with Michael York and Jenny Agutter from the late 70's?

dean_martin
01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I vaguely remember "Looker."

Logan's Run was one of my favorites as a kid! I'm always tempted to pick it up from the cheap bin, but I'm afraid seeing it now would destroy my perceived notion that it's a GREAT movie.

eisforelectronic
01-05-2005, 12:12 AM
I always get "Looker" mixed up with "Videodrome". "Looker" was the one with the weird gun at the end with the mirrors right?

i really need to be in the right mood to sit through "Logans Run". I only recently gave it another watch after it was mentioned in "Free Enterprise"

markw
01-05-2005, 05:02 AM
"Looker" was the one with the weird gun at the end with the mirrors right?"Now you got me. ;) Dunno.

Actually, it was kind of acheesy movie (which is probably nobody remembers it) but what fascinates me about it isthat what looked so impossible back then is so close to real now. animation has come so far so fast that I doubt it'll be too far from now that people, at least in front of the camera, will be superfulous in the movie making business.

as far as Logan's Run goes, it was OK for it's time (Buck Rogers came about about then also) but that scene of Jenny Augutter materializing in that short, sheer diaphanous mini gown will stick in my mind for a long, long time.

PPG
01-05-2005, 01:47 PM
I remember "Looker" because I saw it back in the late 80's on Showtime. It also starred Albert Finney and I thought it was a fairly decent sci-fi flick.

And "Logan's Run" I saw in the theater back in '76. If they remake it, they should also remake "Westworld" but who could play the steel-eyed robotic gunslinger as well as Yul?

Hairsonfire
01-11-2005, 07:16 AM
It had Susan Dey, of "Partridge Family" fame, as a movie star. They took multi faceted photos of her and, lo and behold, they could use a computer animate them so they no longer needed live actors or actress' anymore.

And, speaking of old movies, I hear they are redoing "Logan's Run".. Anyone remember that one, with Michael York and Jenny Agutter from the late 70's?

Everyone had a chip in their hand that was a timer that went off when you hit 30. Then you would, hopefullly, be "reborn" if you were so chosen, however, no one was ever chosen, they were killed! I remember Farrah Fawcett was an assisting nurse to this plastic surgeon who used a laser beam for a scalpel - which was pretty futuristic back in 76. She was so HOT!!!

Woochifer
01-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Never saw Looker, but when I saw that trailer I thought it was somewhat comedic that Susan Dey's character was in the movie calling herself "the perfect female type." Man, if SHE'S the future's mass produced definition of female perfection, then we're all in trouble! (I mean, a woman's imperfections are often the most interesting and hottest things about them)

Defshep
02-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Been trying to find this flick! Being the conspiracy guy that I am, it does now seem close to reality! Others out around that period were "Endangered Species", "Videodrome". I could probably put together a list of all-time conspiracy faves! Sometimes life DOES imitate art. Or, did they know something we don't...

dean_martin
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
I could probably put together a list of all-time conspiracy faves!

Give us your list! It might pick things up around here.

Defshep
02-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Give us your list! It might pick things up around here.

Okay, here goes! (In no particular order)

The Matrix(1999)- One of the most influential movies of the last decade. Keanu's acting wasn't even a factor! Great what-if.

They Live(1988)- John Carpenter's social commentary on the state of mass consumerism and our never ending quest to be entertained (!) rather than educated. Cheesy special effects, sometimes laughable dialogue and bad acting. Somehow, Carpenter still manages to get his point across.

X-Files:Fight the Future(1997)- Duh! The best science fiction is always mixed with a little fact. Never a huge fan of the series, but the film knocks one out of the park!

Capricorn One(1972?)- What if NASA never sent anyone to the Moon? What if they faked a mission to Mars to justify funding? How far would the government go to cover it up?

Conspiracy Theory(1996)- Mel Gibson is paranoid. He rambles on about black helicopters, the New World Order, and secret societies. He's nuts, right? Or is he? Good film, but you should know something about the subject matter.

Other greats:
Enemy of the State(1998)
The Manchurian Candidate(Remake, 2004)
Wag The Dog(199?)
Blue Thunder(1984)

Not all these movies are brilliant. I picked them because the subject matter is fascinating. May even make you do a little fact-finding of your own!

-Defshep

dean_martin
02-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Never really thought about a conspiracy genre of film. Nicely done.

Capricorn One a/k/a OJ on the Run

Defshep
02-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Yep! Forgot about the O.J. thing. No white bronco here, though! Have a good night.

Seanc0500
05-09-2005, 02:30 PM

I remember Looker, I saw that movie a bunch of times, it was a great flick.
I liked Logan's run a lot, too.
I'm surprised they haven't remade it by now, it's way over the 15 year
statute of limitations for remaking a movie.