DVD hook up with Y to TV and Stereo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD hook up with Y to TV and Stereo

CharlieBee
01-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Can I hook up my DVD to the TV and the Stereo with 2 Y audio adaptors and leave the cables hooked up? I currently switch the cables and it is getting old. My DVD has only one set of audio outputs.

Thanks

Charlie

markw
01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Can I hook up my DVD to the TV and the Stereo with 2 Y audio adaptors and leave the cables hooked up? I currently switch the cables and it is getting old. My DVD has only one set of audio outputs.

Thanks

CharlieYou should be fine. Give it a try.

Mr Peabody
01-04-2005, 09:28 PM
You shouldn't have to do that. How old is the TV and receiver? You should be using digital output from your DVD to receiver if possible and then the analog (RCA jacks) for the TV. I don't think I have ever seen a DVD player without a digital out, either coaxial or optical. Another option, but much less desirable, would be to go from DVD to TV and then if your TV provides an audio out, use that to connect to the stereo. You should have audio out, you already said you are using RCA's into the TV. The first setup using digital hook up to receiver is your optimum route. Need more help feel free to email.

markw
01-05-2005, 04:42 AM
While what you say is 100% correct for HT receivers with built in DD/DTS processors, the key word I responded to was "stereo". "Stereo" implies two channels and has from back to the late 50's and really hasn't changed. I've not seen too many stereo units with built in processors. In fact, I can't recall any.

And, I''ve seen current TV's that allow audio inputs w/o audio outputs. I just had to deal with this situation at a friends house.

FWIW, I'm doing this same thing as this guy in basement gym/man cave where a two channel (stereo) Marantz 2270 provides the main grunt. The main advantage I get from this isthat I can use the DVD player as a CD player and bypass the TV. Likewise, I can use the TV's audio instead of the stereo's when I choose.

Of course, if he mistakenly used "stereo" in reference to a DD/DTS capable receiver, you are correct and all this was for naught.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
DUDE!! You have a man cave too? When we moved into our house and I noticed hi fi gear heading down the stairs I realized my wife's diabolical plan was unfolding. But I'm not complaining.

If he does have a 2 channel only unit, I'd still recommend a switch box over a Y adaptor. I don't think a Y adaptor will hurt anything, I just suspect there may be some weakening of the signal. Radio Shack is good about taking things back, so if the switch box didn't show a benefit nothing lost, except some time. Wouldn't it be the same as splitting a video signal? When you split it, it gets weaker and whether the 2nd set is on or off makes no difference in the signal.

CharlieBee
01-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys. The TV is a 2 year old Sony with all kinds of imputs, The DVD is brand new Sony and the Stereo is a 5 year old mini system with surround sound, 2 mains, 2 rear and sub woofer that has a broken 3 CD changer ( an Akai or Awai ??). All belong to my 90 year old Dad so you can see it is challenging to him.

Your ideas of using the S cable for one DVD output and the RCA for the other will be much better than my Y adaptor of the original question.

Thanks Charlie

markw
01-06-2005, 07:09 AM
But I'm glad you got the answers you needed even though it wasn't to the question you originaly asked.

Mr Peabody
01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
It sounds like you may have your audio and video connections mixed up. S video is obviously for video and there may also be a single RCA video out called "composite video". You only need one of these to the TV and you shouldn't need one to the stereo. Your audio outputs on the DVD player will have twin RCA connectors and those should go to the stereo, only if you dad wants sound from the stereo. Or, it may work better for him to connect the DVD audio out to the TV audio in and then if he wants sound through the stereo connect from the TV audio out to the stereo input, probably marked AUX. If it's a new Sony DVD and a recent TV you should have all the connections you need you just have to figure out what it is your dad wants to do with the system and hook it up that way.

E-Stat
01-06-2005, 03:29 PM
DUDE!! You have a man cave too? When we moved into our house and I noticed hi fi gear heading down the stairs I realized my wife's diabolical plan was unfolding. But I'm not complaining.
Funny you should call it that because that's what I dubbed my dedicated basement environment as well in my profile on another audio site where I also post. It was my decision to claim the room downstairs as solely for the use of audio. A place where WAF is absent amongst the forest of electrostatic panels, room lenses, bass traps, and wires. :D

rw

Tomr
01-16-2005, 12:27 PM
My wife hates sourround sound. I have my DVD player so its hooked up to one av input channel and my receiver hooked to a second av input on my tv. But out of my dvd player I use a seperate y cord (for left & right audio, & video) to patch to my stereo and tv. This way I can watch a dvd with my wife on the tv set when she's watching but when I am by myself I can watch tv in sorround sound.

Mr Peabody
01-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I hope you read all the posts here. You shouldn't have to use a Y connector. I hope your set up isn't as confused as I am over your post. Why would you run from your receiver to your TV A/V? You said A/V but do you just mean video? If you have a modern receiver capable of Dolby Digital go digital out from the DVD player to your receiver for audio and analog out (RCA) to your TV audio. You could just use one video from your DVD to the TV and just use TV audio when with the wife and use the receiver for audio when wanting surround sound. If you just wanted video to your receiver for switching your TV should support 2 video inputs, even if you had to use S-video or component. Another way of saying it is for watching TV you will have 3 RCA cables, one for video and 2 for audio (L & R). When using surround sound you should have one digital cable from DVD to receiver for audio and the best way is use a second video out of the DVD to your TV. If your TV only has one set of A/V jacks then just run the digital to the receiver turn the TV on like watching with your wife but turn the TV sound down and use your receiver for the audio. I probably have you confused now. I hope not. Just take the Y adaptors out and re-wire your system. If you're not using digital to your receiver you're not getting 5.1 surround.

Tomr
01-17-2005, 04:01 AM
My DVD player is an older model (8-10 yrs old). It has a manual switch on the back to switch from component video (yellow) out to super video out. Last year when I hooked up my receiver, I used the cables I had on hand. I didn't have any optical cables but I did have the y cables. My DVD player is switched to component video. I run from the DVD player with a y cable from the video out to my reciever and to my television (on my 1st component video in). From my receiver to the television, I only have a video cable to the second video in. Left & right audio from the DVD player is split to the tv (on the same inut channel as the DVD video) and also to my receiver. I do not have audio running from the receiver to the television. The tv is a 1988, 27" GE and only has inputs for antenna in (coax & antenna screws) and 2 component av in channels. The tv and stereo are right next to each other and the cables are only 3.5 feet with the y's. The reception I get from my DVD player on either channel is better than the reception I get from the cable company, so I haven't bothered to to get different cables. When I listen through my receiver, I flip a switch on front of my tv to turn off it's speaker. I am currently in the market for new speakers for my system and probably will change the cables to optimize sound. I will probably purchase a new TV in the next to years, but for now this is what I got and it works fine for me.

markw
01-17-2005, 04:45 AM
Not a whole lot you can do with older TV sets that lack I/O.

But, if I may make one correction for the future. That yellow plug is "composite" video. "Component" video requires three cables, generally red, blue and green. A lot of people confuse the two.