My Evening in Trans-Siberia [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Evening in Trans-Siberia

ForeverAutumn
12-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Let me start by saying that this is not just a concert; a gig; a recital; a performance; or a show. This is…an EXPERIENCE!

One drummer; One narrator; Two keyboards, Three electric guitars, Seven vocalists, and an Eight piece string section. This is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra that played in Toronto last night.

There were twinkling lights; shimmering lights; flashing lights; roving lights; spotlights; lasers; and a freakin’ snow machine over the audience!!! When the lasers were sent out through the snow it created this magical sparkling effect in the air like nothing that I have ever seen before.

The music was outstanding. Each musician was incredible. Each singer was incredible. The talent on that stage was mind-boggling.

The show was 2.5 hours, done in two parts (no intermission). The first half was a rendition of their CD, Christmas Eve and Other Stories. A narrator with a voice that could rival James Earl Jones narrated the story in between songs. There were no large chorus’s or choral groups and so, some of the CD could not be recreated but was instead filled in with musical versions of the songs. The music was predominantly guitars with the keyboards and strings filling out the sound. While the story was beautiful and serious, the musicians were obviously having fun and so was the audience. The audience was very diverse (from little kids to their grandparents) and their response was amazing – hooting and hollering and cheering after every song. There was no polite applause.

The rendition of Old City Bar was done with one vocalist and one acoustic guitar. Similar to the CD, but with so much feeling that (I’m not embarrassed to say) it actually moved me to tears. And as I looked around me, I wasn’t the only one! It was the magic of the whole experience.

After Christmas Eve was done. The front man for the evening (one of the guitarists) came out to talk to the audience for a while. He talked about TSO, introduced the orchestra and apologized for the blackout this past summer, stating that they were testing their new light show and they went a bit too far. ;) He was very funny and related well with the audience. Like talking to an old friend. Much later in the show, he actually ran out into the audience and played his guitar while wandering around. He even made a trip up to the first balcony.

After that break, they went into the second half of the show. They did some songs from Christmas Attic. Played some Tchaikovsky a la Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Did some new songs and a track from Beethoven’s Last Night. Each performer was given time for a solo. Everything was choreographed like clockwork and was entertaining not just to hear, but to watch as well.

2.5 hours was gone in what seemed like minutes and the show ended much to everyone disappointment. :(

There was an autograph session after the show. My husband and I went to check it out, just out of curiosity. Well, the number of people in the line-up floored us. There were hundreds of people lined up for autographs. I couldn’t believe it. It’s not like this is a band that has the same people in it each time you see them. This was a touring company. One of two touring companies actually. And there were hundreds of folks lined up at 11:00 on a weeknight who wanted to meet them.

Which takes me back to my original statement. This is much more than a concert. This is an experience not to be missed. Regardless of your musical tastes, this is something that every person here should see at least once in your lifetime. If you have the opportunity in the future, don’t ask yourself if you want to go. Just go. Trust me. You won’t regret it. I’ll be back next year. No questions asked. :D

DarrenH
12-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the review Autumn.

Sounds like something I would like to see. "Beethoven's Last Night" was the disc I saw and I think I'm gonna grab it the next time I'm near Barnes and Noble.

And I look forward to receiving that TSO comp for you.

Darren

Dave_G
12-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Dang!

That was one incredible review there, F.A.

It definitely sounds like I would enjoy that gig.

They play here this month sometime, I think.

I may have to check it out.

BTW I have been enjoying your christmas comp.

Dave

ForeverAutumn
12-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the review Autumn.

Sounds like something I would like to see. "Beethoven's Last Night" was the disc I saw and I think I'm gonna grab it the next time I'm near Barnes and Noble.

And I look forward to receiving that TSO comp for you.

Darren

They mentioned that they planned to go on the road with a Beethoven's Last Night show in 2005. A show not to be missed, I'm sure.

They're also in the process of recording a new CD to be released in 2004.

Dang!
That was one incredible review there, F.A.
It definitely sounds like I would enjoy that gig.
They play here this month sometime, I think.
I may have to check it out.
BTW I have been enjoying your christmas comp.
Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm glad that you're still enjoying my Christmas comp. I've been listening to that a lot lately too. I made copies for the people that I work closely with and handed them out today instead of Christmas cards. They only cost $1.00 each to make and everyone loved receiving them!

You would definately love this show. If you can still get tickets for the show in your city, I would highly recommend going. We bought our tickets late and didn't have very good seats. We were over the side of the stage and could only see half of the string section and couldn't always see all the singers but, as you can see by my review, it really didn't seem to matter. Go, and tell me if you loved it as much as I did!

Dave_G
12-17-2003, 01:38 PM
I did the same thing for some people at my office.

I even stole 6 cuts off of your comp.

I will send you $100000.00 in royalty payment.

Will let you know if I get to go to the Trans-Siberia.

If I can't go there, I might go to Trans-Vestite though. :rolleyes:

Dave

Dusty Chalk
12-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Really nice review, FA. Too bad I missed 'em when they were in this area (I'm pretty sure they already came through).

Davey.
12-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Wow, nice review! That does sound like fun. Thanks for writing it up. Fun just to read about it :)

yakkosmurf
12-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the wonderful review. They are coming to Houston soon. I need to look at getting tickets. My wife mentioned the idea to me last night.

Finch Platte
12-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Let me start by saying that this is not just a concert; a gig; a recital; a performance; or a show. This is…an EXPERIENCE!

Thanks, that was a fun read. After seeing them on PBS, I thought it would be an enjoyable concert. Never went, tho :mad:

Hey, I know you're tired of heavy rawk, but you really do need a copy of my Heavy Hangers comp. even tho there are tits on the cover :D

fp

A joke:

George W. Bush was thrilled at finally being able to spend his first night in the White House, but something very strange happened. On the very first night, he was awakened by George Washington’s ghost. Bush asked the ghost, “President Washington, what is the best thing I could do to help the country?” “Set an honest and honorable example, just as I did,” advised Washington. With all the excitement of the White House, Bush still couldn’t sleep well, and then, later on that night, the ghost of Thomas Jefferson moved through the dark bedroom. “Tom, what is the best thing I could do to help the country?” Bush asked. “Cut taxes and reduce the size of the government,” Jefferson answered. Bush still couldn’t sleep well, so much later, on the same night he saw another ghostly figure moving in the shadows. It was Abraham Lincoln’s ghost. “Abe, what is the best thing I could do to help the country?,” Bush asked. Lincoln replied, “Go see a play.”

ForeverAutumn
12-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks, that was a fun read. After seeing them on PBS, I thought it would be an enjoyable concert. Never went, tho :mad:

Hey, I know you're tired of heavy rawk, but you really do need a copy of my Heavy Hangers comp. even tho there are tits on the cover :D

I did like the looks of your comp, but as I've said before (and others here have recently stated the same concern), I don't like to ask for too many comps when I'm not really able to reciprocate as often as I would like to. I would love a copy if you don't mind sending it to me.

And Finchy, why would you think that I wouldn't like a picture of birds on the cover of your comp? :confused: