Cpl of ? ref. stanton str8-100(again) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cpl of ? ref. stanton str8-100(again)

enrique
01-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I picked up this TT at a pawn shop eventhough it more for dj's but it serves my purpose(casual listening).I have approx 100 LP's from the 70's that i have been wanting to replay.The TT apparently can be used Linein or phono.My receiver has no phono so i use the linein.My question is should i get a phono preamp regardless since the receiver does not have a dedicated phono-in is there any advantage or disadvantage..Also i want to get a new cartridge/stylus but i'm a little ignorant on what type to get MM or MC.Basiclly i'm trying to set this up to get the best sound out of the TT that i can.What cartridge/stylus should i get/should i get a phono preamp?Would appreciate all the help to get back on track.thanks

nobody
01-03-2005, 07:44 AM
You need a phono preamp. A phono preamp boots the level of the turntable's output and has some equalization needed to sound right. Without one, your table will not sound right at all. The leval will be extremely low, their will likely be a ton of excess noise and the proper equalization will be lacking.

For a cartridge, you will want a MM cartridge. The MC cartridges are more expensive and probably wouldn't be as good a match for your table. You'll get various recommendations for cartridges. Post your price range and you'll get some choices to pick from.

nobody
01-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Oops...I just realized that your table has a built-in phono preamp, so you should be fine using the line in.

Ray H
01-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Most MC cartridges are very low output and require use of the preamp's MC stage or a supplementary phono stage for preamps that have no MC stage. But, there are high output MC exceptions that will work just dandy off of your preamp's MM stage:

Benz Micro:
> MC-20E 2 ($175)
> MC-Silver ($350)
> ACE HO ($550)
> Glider 2 HO ($795)
> Ebony H ($3,000)

Dynevector
> 10 x 5 ($375)
> 20X-H ($550)

Sumiko
> Blue Point No. 2 ($249)
> Blue Point Special Evo III ($349)
> Blackbird ($750)

All of the above MC cartridges have output levels in the 2.5 - 3.5 mV range - MM territory. As you can see, there's quite a price range involved. I'm not at all certain the $175 Benz Micro MC-20E 2 would sound better than one of the upscale model MM cartridges from Shure, Grado, Stanton, Audio Technica, etc. MC cartridges carry an additional price overhead besides initial expense in that the stylus is NOT user replaceable. Once the stylus is damaged or worn, MC cartridges have to either be traded in or sent to the factory for re-tipping - not an inexpensive proposition considering they're all made overseas. My best recommendation for a very decent sounding MM cartidge is the Shure M97xE - typically discounted to about $95.00. This cartridge is scary similar in appearance and performance to Shure's recently discontinued flagship V-15 Type VxMR (itself still available for $325.00 until current stock is exhausted). Not only is the N97xE stylus assembly user replaceable (it just pulls off the cartridge body with a light tug), you can even return the old stylus assembly to Shure in Evanston, Illinois, and they'll retip it and ship it back to you for $20.00 with a 2-yr warranty. If you've managed to bend or snap the cantilever during an evening's wild debaucheries*, the $20.00 price still holds. By comparison, the retail dealer's discounted price for the N97xE replacement stylus assembly is typically $75.00.

*Try THAT with a $12,000 Koestsu Jade MC cartridge!

Garrardman
01-11-2005, 02:43 AM
To be honest, i wouldn't spend too much on a cartridge for this deck.

Whilst it is a good turntable, if it really is the "STR8-100" as opposed to the "ST-100" then it has a short, straight arm that is designed not to skip when the deck is used for "scratching".
This means it is not optimally set up at all for normal record playing and, with the associated risks of both record and stylus wear that this implies, i would go for an MM cartridge that has a replaceable stylus, as it will probably need replacing more often than on a turntable with a conventional arm.

Adam.