CD player technology [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD player technology

SamiG
01-02-2005, 03:27 PM
This may be an absurd thing to post and put out there to the masses for comments, but please bear with me. I work part-time at a small radio station. the General Manager has recently made a statement regarding use of the CD players in the studio with home-burned CD's. He claims that the "manufacturer" has stated that if home-burned cd's are used in the new Denon player, it can damage the unit. The station is refusing to repair or replace any of the CD players which are broken or not working properly, as they are malfunctioning due to use of "home-burned cd's". Is it me or is this the most rediculous thing you have ever heard? PLEASE!!!! Respond with some kind of feedback that I can print off and toss in this fool's face. Thanks!!

Mash
01-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Dear Mr SamiG:

Referring to the General Manager of the small radio station where you work part-time as a ""fool", and then desiring to have anyone provide "some kind of feedback that (you) can print off and toss in this fool's face", are both very stupid actions. Following through with your plan could have very negative impacts on your working career(s) for the rest of your life.

Some managers can be VERY vindictive and cause you long-term problems. Many companies now conduct extensive background checks intended to uncover the team-destroying attitudes and behaviors that you have illustrated.

Unless you can pay your bills without working for someone else, may I suggest that you obtain some anger-management counseling?

SamiG
01-03-2005, 05:58 AM
In regards to your Anger Management comments: First point, thanks for the advice. However, I wasn't looking for career advice, but technology advice. You made valid points, however the history I have with watching this GM distroy people and their jobs overshadows your sage thoughts. This is a volunteer position for me, my life does not circle around this job. Others who work there, however, are attempting to raise families, etc. His position of pointing blame at the use of home-burned CD's for the malfunctioning equipment will result in loss of jobs for these folks. The ultimate goal here for this GM is to completely automate the station and get rid of any live operators in any position. Again, no issue for me, I can sleep in on the weekends again. If the passion with which I take up this cause of saving their jobs offends you, so be it. I have the word of the station owner that if I can prove the GM's statements incorrect, the issue will be dropped and no repercussions will be at hand for those working there. I'd advise you that in the future, you get the whole story before doling out advice. Also, giving advice without it being solicited often garners negative reactions. No one likes a busy-body MASH.

Now then, MASH, should you have any insight into the technology of the CD players and my original questions, I'd happily accept a response.

Dear Mr SamiG:

Referring to the General Manager of the small radio station where you work part-time as a ""fool", and then desiring to have anyone provide "some kind of feedback that (you) can print off and toss in this fool's face", are both very stupid actions. Following through with your plan could have very negative impacts on your working career(s) for the rest of your life.

Some managers can be VERY vindictive and cause you long-term problems. Many companies now conduct extensive background checks intended to uncover the team-destroying attitudes and behaviors that you have illustrated.

Unless you can pay your bills without working for someone else, may I suggest that you obtain some anger-management counseling?

shokhead
01-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Never heard of home burned cd's hurting anything. They either play or dont. Why dont you call Denon and see what they say and dont tell them he already called. I dont think it says it can happen on any of the Denon manuals.

Mash
01-03-2005, 08:51 AM
SamiG
Dogs that have bitten one person are viewed as far more likely to bite another person. Subordinate employees who bite superiors are viewed the same way. Unless you are independently wealthy or own a successful business, my comments stand.

Trying to “save the jobs of others” is indeed noble, but using inflammatory language in your quest for information would not appear to offer any advantage, and would best be avoided considering that you do not know who might read your comments and then connect the dots. I believe that a professionally worded post with the inflammatory language omitted (thought about, perhaps, but omitted) will likely provide your best results.

While many (older) DVD players will not play “home-burned” CD’s etc. the only result should be that the DVD player is either mute, or it simply ejects the offending disk. No real problems should ever occur unless someone manages to put two CD’s in that player at the same time, and even that is not fatal or even much of a problem if you are careful about how you remove them. However, fully automated radio stations would seem to be an approaching reality, although an expensive reality.

E-Stat
01-03-2005, 11:30 AM
He claims that the "manufacturer" has stated that if home-burned cd's are used in the new Denon player, it can damage the unit.
If that is the case, then why does Denon Professional tout that this unit can even read CD-Rs that have not been finalized?

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1509&Tab=Data+Sheet

Or simply, that they have CD-R reading capability?

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1498

Sounds like the manager is confused.

rw

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-14-2005, 02:09 PM
This doesn't make any sense to me. The very media that the player was design to play damages the unit. Rediculous!. It it can't read the disc, it will just rear error, cannot play disc, or just automatically shut off. The manager is full of cow plop!

beaver
01-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Actually the same issue concerns those pirated CDs. If you ask the recording industry, home burned CDs could be classified as a pirated copy. There seems to be a reasonable explanation on why these copies can shorten the life of the player, the lens in particular. i heard of many occassions wherein this happens and i believe this is true. CDs not manufactured properly or wherein the content is not burned properly would find it difficult for the player to read and you can see it takes time for the player to eventually read it. this give undue burden on the lens. this is because the information is not "clearly written" on the disc surface. In high volume manufacturing and recording, the CDs are stamped in contrast to being burned. To put it in another way, with legal copies it's like you reading a clearly written document (good font, right size letters, etc) whilst burned or pirated ones is like you reading a photocopied document of several generations in a newsprint. I'm not a fun of recording industry though as i know they are charging too much for a copy of a CD.

This may be an absurd thing to post and put out there to the masses for comments, but please bear with me. I work part-time at a small radio station. the General Manager has recently made a statement regarding use of the CD players in the studio with home-burned CD's. He claims that the "manufacturer" has stated that if home-burned cd's are used in the new Denon player, it can damage the unit. The station is refusing to repair or replace any of the CD players which are broken or not working properly, as they are malfunctioning due to use of "home-burned cd's". Is it me or is this the most rediculous thing you have ever heard? PLEASE!!!! Respond with some kind of feedback that I can print off and toss in this fool's face. Thanks!!

woodman
01-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Actually the same issue concerns those pirated CDs. If you ask the recording industry, home burned CDs could be classified as a pirated copy. There seems to be a reasonable explanation on why these copies can shorten the life of the player, the lens in particular. i heard of many occassions wherein this happens and i believe this is true. CDs not manufactured properly or wherein the content is not burned properly would find it difficult for the player to read and you can see it takes time for the player to eventually read it. this give undue burden on the lens. this is because the information is not "clearly written" on the disc surface. In high volume manufacturing and recording, the CDs are stamped in contrast to being burned. To put it in another way, with legal copies it's like you reading a clearly written document (good font, right size letters, etc) whilst burned or pirated ones is like you reading a photocopied document of several generations in a newsprint. I'm not a fun of recording industry though as i know they are charging too much for a copy of a CD.

Sorry Mr.beaver - your post and the "case" it presents is flat-out wrong! It has absolutely no basis in fact, but merely represents the inane and obsessive paranoia of the recording industry over the "piracy of their intellectual property". There is no validity at all to the premise that a "manufactured CD" which is "stamped" is going to make life any easier for the lens that will have to "read it" than a "burned" CD will. None.

Furthermore, I think it can be stated in no uncertain terms that there is absolutely NO chance whatsoever that a home-burned CD can damage a CD player in any way. As others have already stated, the nly thing that could happen is that a player might refuse to "read" a disc and summarily eject it ... that's all. As for damaging the player in the process - absolutely, positively not. Period. End of conversation.

risabet
01-17-2005, 11:37 PM

The man is clearly a fool. I have played home burned CD's on every type of player from Denon's to some DIY tube-based designs, they either play or they don't, pretty simple, I've never hurt a player and I think it is impossible to do so. Don't throw the info in your boss's face however, bad for your employment.

beaver
01-18-2005, 03:28 AM
My point here are those discs that are in the borderline of being read and not read but being read with some difficulty by the player.

Just to clarify thing here. I'm not in anyway being affected by the recording industry or trying to defend them. i think they stink anyways. i'm looking at this with some technical merits. Though the technology behind the CD is digital most parts of the player are still in analogue domain. if you try a poorly burned CD, the player will still try to read it several times before it stops doing it. The player mechanism will try to adapt with the information in the CD being read and since it's digital it will do some error correction (such as adjusting the laser intensity, lens moving back and forth, etc) until it finally decides to stop. if the player always do these, the mechanical parts will eventually fail. I've seen in several occassion that it's true. Perhaps not much in your area because copied (bootleg) CD is not prevalent. I myself don't believe it at first until i have my own share of experience.

Sorry Mr.beaver - your post and the "case" it presents is flat-out wrong! It has absolutely no basis in fact, but merely represents the inane and obsessive paranoia of the recording industry over the "piracy of their intellectual property". There is no validity at all to the premise that a "manufactured CD" which is "stamped" is going to make life any easier for the lens that will have to "read it" than a "burned" CD will. None.

Furthermore, I think it can be stated in no uncertain terms that there is absolutely NO chance whatsoever that a home-burned CD can damage a CD player in any way. As others have already stated, the nly thing that could happen is that a player might refuse to "read" a disc and summarily eject it ... that's all. As for damaging the player in the process - absolutely, positively not. Period. End of conversation.

woodman
01-18-2005, 10:41 PM
My point here are those discs that are in the borderline of being read and not read but being read with some difficulty by the player.

Though the technology behind the CD is digital most parts of the player are still in analogue domain.

Wrong, bucko!

... if you try a poorly burned CD, the player will still try to read it several times before it stops doing it. The player mechanism will try to adapt with the information in the CD being read and since it's digital it will do some error correction (such as adjusting the laser intensity, lens moving back and forth, etc)

Wrong again! Error correction has nothing to do with "adjusting the laser" or with "moving the lens back and forth" or anything even remotely like that.

... until it finally decides to stop. if the player always do these, the mechanical parts will eventually fail. I've seen in several occassion that it's true. Perhaps not much in your area because copied (bootleg) CD is not prevalent. I myself don't believe it at first until i have my own share of experience.

Where and how did you acquire all of this knowledge and experience anyway? I've spent more than half a century accumulating my knowledge and experience - and it doesn't match up with yours in any way whatsoever! Isn't that just a bit curious to say the least?

beaver
01-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Sorry if my opinion hurts some experts in this field. Clearly this issue is being looked at a purely technical/theoritical point of view. I'm not of course an idiot in this area and hard to believe it at first till i realize it has some reasonable bearings. Perhaps you really got to learn it the hard way to believe. i say no more. :D

Wrong, bucko!

Wrong again! Error correction has nothing to do with "adjusting the laser" or with "moving the lens back and forth" or anything even remotely like that.

Where and how did you acquire all of this knowledge and experience anyway? I've spent more than half a century accumulating my knowledge and experience - and it doesn't match up with yours in any way whatsoever! Isn't that just a bit curious to say the least?

phatbass
02-24-2005, 03:10 PM
If home burned copies hurt the players, why would some newer players claim they play mp3 discs?

I have never seen a "proffesionally recorded" mp3 cd. And BTW, I don't believe the laser in a cd player can have a varrying workload, it is either on or off.