tv/projector search [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : tv/projector search

agtpunx40
01-02-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm begining a search for a new tv or projector for home theater use. Here's my general situation. I'm probably moving out of my current house in about 9 months, so a projector would hold obvious advantages, although I may not even end up purchasing till it is close enough to then that I'd just wait. Obviously, I'm willing to wait, and I know prices always go down but you can't wait forever.

I'm looking in the price range of $1500 to $2000, definatly not over $2000, probably something near the bottom end unless I really come across something that is a really great deal. I do want to buy authorized, as I will feel much better having the warrenty valid.

If I remember, Woodman used to say projectors were the best bang for the buck. What I see as the major advantage of a TV over a projector is that I can watch TV on it. Unless I am mistaken, projector bulbs have a fairly limited life and are expensive, so it would have to be used pretty much for movie watching only. Also, the light issue, but if I were just using it for movies, I could cut out all the extra light during those viewings. I've pretty much disregarded lcds and plasmas, as I see it, you're really paying so much for the thin screen, that you're losing alot in picture quality, which I care much more about than a thin screen.

Projectors have the advantage of huge screen, and I figure a decent screen in the $200 to $400 dollar range which would leave about $1200 to $1400 for the projector (does that ratio sound about right?). Plus the portability, easy to move thing, especially useful when I'm still renting, although plan on moving to somewhere at least semi-permanent in less than a year.

I used to hang around these boards all the time, and my knowledge is pretty good, just not quite up to date (and technical knowledge of projectors is pretty weak so if anyone can suggest a good site for projector starters). I assume woodman is still the man on these sort of issues, and anyone else feel free to chime in with experiences with tvs, projectors, vendors, suggestions of what to start looking at, etc.

agtpunx40
01-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Does this refer to the effective resolution that I would be getting from a projector?