Polk Audio R30 or Athena AS-B2 speakers ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio R30 or Athena AS-B2 speakers ?

sip
01-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Any comments or opinions about Polk Audio R30 floor standing and Athena AS-B2 book-self speakers are appreciated.

markw
01-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Why are you comparing a floor standing speaker to a bookshelf speaker? What's your goal?

Two and a half years ago when comparing COMPRABLE Polk and Athena speakers, I found the Athena's to have a more "pleasing" sound to my ears when it came to both bass and high end smoothness and imaging.

Since you are choosing to compare different classes of speakers, YMDWV

bacchanal
01-02-2005, 12:17 PM
What's the problem with comparing different classes of speakers. To me there are two classes of speakers. The kind I'm interested in, and the kind I'm not interested in. Each speaker has strengths and weaknesses that can be compared to eachother, and may or may not fall in a given price range.

When I bought my mains I was looking at only floorstanders. Then I looked at the Paradigm Studio40s. Guess what, I ended up buying stand mounted speakers. It's a good thing that I compared apples to oranges!

My opinion: If you're not planning on gettting a sub I'd go with the polks. I like the athena line quite a bit, but I don't know if the AS-B2s would be enough by themselves. If you're planning on building up, the Athenas would be a good way to go.

NickWH
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Well, it's easier to comment when you are comparing similar class components. It puts things in perspective.

From my perspective, the initial poster should go to the nearest BestBuy and pickup the Athena Audition AS-F1 towers for $300/pair. This, IMO, represents the best bang for the buck in that price bracket.

markw
01-02-2005, 02:29 PM
What's the problem with comparing different classes of speakers. To me there are two classes of speakers. The kind I'm interested in, and the kind I'm not interested in.Any comments or opinions about a Mazda Miata sports car and Buick LaCrosse Sedan are appreciated.

I'll even give you as much clue as to what I want and need as he did.

In any case, I offered my opinion on his original question although I think Nick may have given a better answer, although it didn't answer the actual original question..

sip
01-02-2005, 03:36 PM
MarkW,

Like Bacchanal said what's wrong with comparing floor standing with book self. I bought both and I have a hard time selecting which one to keep. Athena ASB2 is louder and brighter than Polk R30. Polk has little more bass. These sepakers are not radically different. This is not a Miata vs Buick comparison. If I did a blind test, I would have thought Athena is floor standing because it is louder. I posted this question hoping a more experienced and knowledgeable person who have actually listened to both the speakers would offer an opinion. BTW, It is difficult find Atena ASF1 in Canada as Athena's major Canadian retailer, Future Shop does not carry it. Its sister company, Best Buy Canada does not carry any Athenas at all.

markw
01-02-2005, 04:25 PM
...and you don't trust your own judgment? Why would you trust a strangers over your own. Sometimes ya just gotsta pays yer money and takes yer choice.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on how they both sound. The decision should be a no brainer. If you prefer the sound of one over the other, then there's your answer. If you can't tell which ones you like better then simply go for the less expensive of the two. Will others opinions be able to sway which ones you like? Then simply read the adverts or scan the reviews either here or http://www.audioholics.com.

As for anyone who has actually taken the time to compare side by side both of them, well, you severly limit your responses there. And, to find one of those few who actually share your own preferences limits the validity of said responses even more.

You may find that most people looking for bookshelves confine their search to bookshelves and vice versa for floorstanders, though.

And, for all intents and purposes, it IS a Miata to a Buick comparison, particularly when you neither stated your wants and needs.

Actually, with your attitude I'm sorry I even bothered to answer you in the first place. I actually shared my experience with these two brands along with my question which seems to have offended you.

I thought you were just ignorant but I guess I was wrong. We all live and learn. ...enjoy

bacchanal
01-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Actually, with your attitude I'm sorry I even bothered to answer you in the first place. I actually shared my experience with these two brands along with my question which seems to have offended you.

Then you go and call the guy ignorant. Well, I fail to see where you have demonstrated your vast knowledge on the art of comparison...I'm sure you're well versed in logical, rhetorical thought. And it's nice that you try to bring the rest of us up to your level, but if you can't stand how foolishly some can ask a simple question without divulging a lot of information, then ignore it and move on with your life.

If someone were to compare a miata to a buick, why not say well one is for old people and the other is for people in a midlife crisis instead of "well, that's apples to oranges." In fact oranges are soft and have a nice citrusy taste, while apples crunchier and are generally a more mellow fruit, but come in a variety of different types. Also you don't have to peel apples before you eat them, an advantage for some....both work fine in a fruit salad.

Geoffcin
01-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey guys, let's stay on topic.

markw
01-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Then you go and call the guy ignorant. Well, I fail to see where you have demonstrated your vast knowledge on the art of comparison...I'm sure you're well versed in logical, rhetorical thought. And it's nice that you try to bring the rest of us up to your level, but if you can't stand how foolishly some can ask a simple question without divulging a lot of information, then ignore it and move on with your life.

If someone were to compare a miata to a buick, why not say well one is for old people and the other is for people in a midlife crisis instead of "well, that's apples to oranges." In fact oranges are soft and have a nice citrusy taste, while apples crunchier and are generally a more mellow fruit, but come in a variety of different types. Also you don't have to peel apples before you eat them, an advantage for some....both work fine in a fruit salad.But, from his rather heated response to my question to him, it was the least I could do.

One good question deserves another and, if you recall, I at least offered some insight as to his original query, at least as far as brand signatures go, without a hostile attitude. I was merely questioning his logic. You and he are the ones that got your collective panties in a bunch.

By the same token, you could just as easily have either ignored my response ofr simply answered his question, no?

At least we both agree that it was a foolish question asked foolishly.

So, what's your take on his original Athena/Polk question?

bacchanal
01-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Okay, well I apologize for straying from the topic and all, but I think the current discussion is worth having, but I don't know if it necessarily deserves it's own thread. If any mod disagrees, please delete my post!

I have no problem with your original post, there is nothing wrong with asking a question to answer a question. I just happen to disagree with your comment, hence my post. I realize that this is getting a little out of proportion, but my point is that sip's original question and all questions like it are fine. What is the problem with a simple quesition on a message board? This isn't some formal discussion or anything.

I've heard plenty of people say you can or can't compare this, etc., etc., etc.. Well, why not? I fail to see the relevance of the Miata/Buick comment. You basically restated that you disagree with the idea of comparing two different solutions to one problem, without offering any futher reasoning why you disagree. Like I said, I would like to know why?

I believe that there is a difference between critically analysing and comparing speakers, such as for a review, and comparing speakers that one is going to purchase. Like you implied, the goal is different in each situation. Thust the rules of comparison are different in each situation.

Just because you don't have a person's ears, or you don't know their intended use for a product, does not mean the products being compared do not have identifiable attributes...strengths and weaknesses. Now what I see as a stength, may be a weakness to someone else, but that doesn't mean I can't point out the existence of my percieved strength.

Okay, back to the topic...sip:

I've listened to both speakers, and other speakers from both lines, although only in separate listening areas through different equipment: i.e. CC and BB showrooms and at other peoples homes.
I think the polks are pretty good, but they don't sound as exciting to me as the Athena's do. The R30s obviously have a little bit better low end than the AS-B2s, so I would recomment getting them if this is a one time purchase.
However, if you plan to upgrade within the same speaker family, I think the Athena line is more impressive than the Polk line. The Athena floorstanders, IMO are among the best in their price range and availability. Just keep in mind that the AS-B2s are going to lack some bass.
If you're looking at these two speakers, I would assume you've ruled out the other mass market stuff. Infinity, JBL, Klipsch,...Bose.
There aren't many options for the do it all speaker in your price range. Like nick said, if you could swing the AS-F1, that would make you happy I'm sure, but it depends on what your budget is. You can order them online at BB.com, but I'm not sure if they ship to canada...

markw
01-03-2005, 02:37 PM
My point in initially pointing out the class difference between them is simply that a lot of superfulous and fairly obvious drek can be avoided by keeping it real.

Your answers in both your previous posts were good but, please note, you spent a lot of time telling him that the bass on the floorstander would be stronger than the bass on the bookshelf. If he wants more bass then this or if that's all he wants, bla bla bla....

Well, excuse me, but I think we can both agree that this falls pretty much into the "no brainer" category and think that it essentially need not have been an issue for anyone with any experience at all with audio.

That you had to point this out to him, particularly after he's had both in his house, seems to be a waste of time, basically for anyone who tried to explain it to him. Heck, if his ears didn't tell him that then no amount of words would either.

Likewise my Miata/Buick comparison. How would you know my size? Can I even fit into a Miata? (hint... I'm 6' 4" and weigh 260) Do I need to carry more than two people at a time (or, in my case in a Miata, one and a half), etc... You don't and I, being a rational person, would not presume that you were psychic and would grok my needs.

We're adults here and I don't think you should have to explain to me that the Buick seats 5 people, the Miata only two, The Buick is a fairly heavy FWD which means good inthe snow and the Miata is a light rwd which means it will skip like a stone on water on snow, etc...

One should be able to assume a common starting point when "comparing" positive and negative attributes.

That's why I was hinting for a little clarification but it seems that you jumped into me before he had a chance to respond and, when he finally did, it was to simply jump on my back along with you. Homey just loves getting gang banged as you noticed. No clarifications on what he wanted, only his observations which would normaly be enough for any reasonably sentient being to come to a decision without need of peer support.

But, it seems a consensus (by Nick, you and myself) was reached that Nick's AS-F1 advice was probably the best response to his still unclear question and needs. Actually, excepting Goeff, that's ALL the respondents.

Now, he should have all the info he needs to make a decision since listening to them in his own environment wasn't enough.

...peace and enjoy...

sip
01-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Thank you all for your replies, and specially to Bacchanal.

I returned the Polks and kept The Athenas. I decided to keep ASB2 for now and add ASF1 or ASF2 latter. Actually, ASF1s are available here but CD$ 250 more than the ASB2.