DLP Projection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DLP Projection

Dr_Bass
01-01-2005, 03:24 PM
I've been out of the loop for about a year or so. Do rear projection DLP HDTV's still have a better picture than plasma? Plasma is way out of my price range anyway.

Which DLP rear projection sets should I be looking at?

Which ones should I stay away from?

Used to be that LCD was not favorable but walking through ond of the larger chain stores, the LCD sets didn't look all that bad, neither did the CRT rear projections for that matter.

What is the pecking order for rear projection sets? <for picture quality>

I'm guessing entry level is still CRT, then LCD and then DLP at the top?

used to be that the best picture was always from a direct view CRT picture tube, is that still the case?

Thanks in advance for the refresher couse.

On a side note, how is Definitive Technology ranking these days?

Bass

bacchanal
01-01-2005, 09:03 PM
If you're looking for a big screen, I would say DLP is the way to go. Plasma's are good but they have a finite lifespan (the gas that creates the color has a half-life). Who would want to spend thousands of dollars on a TV with a half life is beyond me. LCDs are very nice and have long lifespan (replaceable bulb), just hope you don't get any dead pixels. Only problem with LCDs is that they are the most expensive per inch. DLPs are great in terms of picture and price, but aren't as small and cute as plasma or LCD, and they only come in big screen sizes, so if you're looking for a small to medium size screen, you need to look elsewhere. Later this year (like fall to winter I think) a slimmer CRT design will be introduced. It won't be anything like a panel TV, but they should be in the current CRT price range.

These two sites have some pretty good comparison info:
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

woodman
01-01-2005, 11:35 PM

used to be that the best picture was always from a direct view CRT picture tube, is that still the case?

Bass

You're only 180 degrees off in your "ranking". In RPTVs, those that are CRT-based offer not only the "biggest bang for the buck", but also have the potential for the best picture quality as well. They seldom if ever show it - especially in retail showrooms where they are never ever "setup" and adjusted to look their best. It's the main reason why the "fixed pixel" display technologies like DLP and LCD and plasma appear to have better pic quality ... which they don't really have at all.

The perception that the very best pic quality in all of video-land are the direct-view CRT sets is nothing but a misconception ... a false belief caused by the smaller screen size - that's all it is. A smaller screen will always look "sharper" and "crisper" than a larger one ... always. But there's absolutely nothing about a direct-view CRT that would make it capable of superior picture quality compared to any other technology ... nothing!

There is yet another type of video display that surpasses CRT-based RPTVs for "bang-for-the-buck" ... the front projectors. In those, a CRT-based one is not an option, since they've been all but virtually discontinued in favor of DLP and LCD-based designs.

Hope this helps you

stan2
01-06-2005, 04:48 PM
I've been out of the loop for about a year or so. Do rear projection DLP HDTV's still have a better picture than plasma? Plasma is way out of my price range anyway.

Which DLP rear projection sets should I be looking at?

Which ones should I stay away from?

Used to be that LCD was not favorable but walking through ond of the larger chain stores, the LCD sets didn't look all that bad, neither did the CRT rear projections for that matter.

Thanks in advance for the refresher couse.

On a side note, how is Definitive Technology ranking these days?

Bass

i talked to a guy at a high end shop yest and he made a good case for LG's line of dlp rear projection sets. said they have a 7 segment color wheel with air bearings that lasts longer than most others, eg. the sony upper line models above the Wega line also looked good in that store. optoma appears to have a set that is a good buy these days. $2000 for 50". costs should go down further for the whole bunch of hdtv's this year, i've read, while performance goes up. oh, this guy at the shop also said that HD2+ beats HD3. more resolution. HD2+ does 720p. HD3 is a cheaper chip... others here may have better/different info..