Anybody else think 2005 has been the worst for new music? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think 2005 has been the worst for new music?

Davey
01-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Geez, I haven't heard anything that really made an impression. What about you?

Hehehe, I actually have heard one 2005 album and it's gonna be a real weiner, I predict. That new M83 Before the Dawn Heals Us. Still up for download at http://kaktus.bmstu.ru/piter/m83_Before_the_dawn_heals_us/

Beautiful morning. Just got back from a good run with my roomate. No rain! Just blue skies and puffy clouds and cool, moist air. Nice. Sweat out some of those alcohol poisins that were coursing through my veins earlier this morning :)

Last night played a lot of Floyd's The Piper At The Gates of Dawn that one of my good buddies here graciously sent me after my admittal that I'd never heard the whole album. Wow, I like it. Got some similarities to that great United States of America reissue on Sundazed that I've been discovering in the past year. Both totally steeped in the crazy '60s lysergic-laced psychedelia. Me like that.

Winding down from the run and listening to Psychocandy right now. The Jesus & Mary Chain. Same good buddy and with the same results...wow!

Gotta go shower but just wanted to be the first to say that 2005 totally sucks for new music! Have a great new years day!

Celtic Bob
01-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Personally I have to disagree. This is going to be a great year for music. Motley Crue is back and touring so I may finally get to see them, possibly new Poison and Warrant stuff. Just got word that an old local band that broke up many years ago are working on a new disc which got me psyched. We also got a new Robert Plant and a Billy Idol coming on Sanctuary Records. Looks good from my standing.

Davey
01-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Personally I have to disagree.
How can you disagree with a new years day joke? But now I don't know if you are serious or not about wanting to hear some new Poison?! Hehehe, one thing I do know is that I need to use more smilies in the future!!!!!

:) :p ;) :( :D :confused: :o :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

Celtic Bob
01-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Partially serious.
I am looking forward to possibly new Poison material. Bret told me in 03 that in 05 they'd be doing stuff (boxset, dvd,...) for their 20th Anniv. I believe he called it "20 Years in the making".
Cheers :)
b.

Slosh
01-02-2005, 07:05 AM
This is going to be a great year for music. Motley Crue is back and touring so I may finally get to see them, possibly new Poison and Warrant stuff. Just got word that an old local band that broke up many years ago are working on a new disc which got me psyched. We also got a new Robert Plant and a Billy Idol coming on Sanctuary Records. Looks good from my standing.

Looks like a trainwreck to me. When's the New Kids On The Block reunion? :p

shokhead
01-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Depends on your age. I'm almost 52 so there's been alot of crap for awhile now. I can only get so much beatles,eric clapton,stones,cheap trick,deep purple and boston. I must say i do have and like 3 doors down and FooFighters. Whatever happen to nice hard,fast rock and a lead singer that could carry a tune? LOL Boy am i old.

Finch Platte
01-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I bought the Avion disc yesterday because the singer used to be in the Tories. What a waste of $12 (US) that was.

So far, every single disc I've bought in '05 has sucked. :(

fp

Celtic Bob
01-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Depends on your age. I'm almost 52 so there's been alot of crap for awhile now. I can only get so much beatles,eric clapton,stones,cheap trick,deep purple and boston. I must say i do have and like 3 doors down and FooFighters. Whatever happen to nice hard,fast rock and a lead singer that could carry a tune? LOL Boy am i old.

Check out Canadian band Helix. They released a killer new cd last May called "Rockin' In My Outer Space". They also just had a DVD released of their 30th Anniversary Concert which took place this past July. A great DVD that i've watched many times. There are video and audio samples on their site www.planethelix.com.

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2005, 08:28 AM
On Dec. 31, I went into Amazon.ca and put three disks in my shopping cart. I needed to find one more to get free shipping but, since hubby was pressuring me to get ready for our big night out, I didn't have time to decide which disk I wanted and submit the order. Since I knew that the order wouldn't be shipped for a few days because of the holiday, I figured that I had time to decide.

Well...yesterday I went back into Amazon to add the Franz Ferdinand disk to my order and EVERYTHING in my shopping cart had gone up in price. They must have had a Jan. 1 price increase programmed in. :mad:

audiobill
01-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Well...yesterday I went back into Amazon to add the Franz Ferdinand disk to my order and EVERYTHING in my shopping cart had gone up in price. They must have had a Jan. 1 price increase programmed in. :mad:

Hey, FA.

That's gotta suck. Did you pull the trigger anyway or did u just FU to the man. Ha,ahahahah.
BTW., Any new local concerts that you've heard about that might be worth booking??
Bill

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Hey, FA.

That's gotta suck. Did you pull the trigger anyway or did u just FU to the man. Ha,ahahahah.
BTW., Any new local concerts that you've heard about that might be worth booking??
Bill

I gave them the proverbial finger. I think that I'll check out Best Buy before I pull the trigger although I suspect that BB won't have at least one of my selections -- a new band called Boy that I'm very curious to check out. I've read a couple of really good reviews.

Funny that you should ask about concerts. I was just trying to dig up your email address for that very reason. Two shows I'm thinking about. Keane at the Kool Haus on Feb. 13 and/or The Trews at the Horseshoe on Feb. 5. E-me at pvassil(at)sympatico(dot)ca if you have any interest in either of them. I saw The Trews at the HS this time last year and they totally rocked the house but needed a little bit more polish. Another year of touring under their belts should have them really tight by now.

BTW...Keane is an all-ages show. Fun Brit-Pop that your girls might like.

Celtic Bob
01-02-2005, 10:37 AM
You guys in Toronto???
I may be up that way at the end of April for a week to see Motley in London.

audiobill
01-02-2005, 01:01 PM
You guys in Toronto???
I may be up that way at the end of April for a week to see Motley in London.

Hey, CelicBob.

You might want to make a pitstop in TO. We could arrange to take in some music or drinks or dinner.

Let me know.
Bill

Celtic Bob
01-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey, CelicBob.

You might want to make a pitstop in TO. We could arrange to take in some music or drinks or dinner.

Let me know.
Bill

Hey Bill,
If I do get up there i'll be staying in Whitby and driving to London for the show. As soon as I know i'll post it here and we can definitly meet up.
Cheers
b.

BarryL
01-03-2005, 06:37 AM
I saw The Trews at the HS this time last year and they totally rocked the house but needed a little bit more polish.

Was I there? I can't remember who you dragged me to see.

And how come you won't return the pile of CDs I lent to you? You should make it a New Year's resolution to return other people's property. It's very unfortunate that I've had to go public with this, but private conversations have not seemed to have any effect thus far. :)

Stone
01-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Geez, I haven't heard anything that really made an impression. What about you?

This year has been so bad I haven't bought anything.

ForeverAutumn
01-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Was I there? I can't remember who you dragged me to see.

No, I dragged you to see Jim Bryson. After Jim Bryson, the Rheostatics hit the stage. That was my first introduction to them and now I can't seem to get enough of them!!! I'd like to see both bands again.

And how come you won't return the pile of CDs I lent to you? You should make it a New Year's resolution to return other people's property. It's very unfortunate that I've had to go public with this, but private conversations have not seemed to have any effect thus far. :)

Haven't you been receiving my ransom notes? :confused:

audiobill
01-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey Bill,
If I do get up there i'll be staying in Whitby and driving to London for the show. As soon as I know i'll post it here and we can definitly meet up.
Cheers
b.

Funny you mention Whitby.

That's where I stay too. We'll definitely need to meet up.

BarryL
01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Haven't you been receiving my ransom notes? :confused:

Is that why the kids were so happy the last few weeks? Those rotten apples must be hiding them from me. Fewer prog CDs around the house for dad to listen to! Tonight I'm going home to play A Lark's Tongue in Aspic to teach them a lesson (and to watch the hockey game and listen to those lame announcers try to come up with new expressions like "vapourize the goalie" (that's when you deak the goalie and score).

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2005, 11:34 AM
(and to watch the hockey game and listen to those lame announcers try to come up with new expressions like "vapourize the goalie" (that's when you deak the goalie and score).

The new definition of NHL.... Now Here's Lacrosse. :D

Mark4583
01-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I grew up in the 60's so most of the stuff I like is from the 60's and 70's, but I used to go down to Best Buy and they had those listening stations with the head phones and I would pick up CD's I never heard of and try them out and once in a while I would find some new stuff that I like, but they dont have those no more, Walmart has the ones without headphones if u can find one that works and then a CD that works in it!
So I just sit back and wait for the new Pink Floyd, if it ever comes out or new Clapton, or somthing that I can count on being good!
Tired of buying a CD with one or two good songs on it and the rest are just crap!

shokhead
01-05-2005, 07:00 AM
I grew up in the 60's so most of the stuff I like is from the 60's and 70's, but I used to go down to Best Buy and they had those listening stations with the head phones and I would pick up CD's I never heard of and try them out and once in a while I would find some new stuff that I like, but they dont have those no more, Walmart has the ones without headphones if u can find one that works and then a CD that works in it!
So I just sit back and wait for the new Pink Floyd, if it ever comes out or new Clapton, or somthing that I can count on being good!
Tired of buying a CD with one or two good songs on it and the rest are just crap!

I'm in the same boat as you. There is only so much greatest hits and best of you can get. Everybody i like are in there late 50's and just cant hold that note from 68. LOL Please Eric Clapton,one more tour.

Stone
01-05-2005, 07:22 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. There is only so much greatest hits and best of you can get. Everybody i like are in there late 50's and just cant hold that note from 68. LOL Please Eric Clapton,one more tour.

Why limit yourself to the fogies? If you want to do that, fine, but if you're looking for new music that suits your tastes just read this board and others like it, and get your hands on a few comps that are flying around this place. There's a lot of new music out there, and certainly most of it will probably not be to your liking, but I'd be shocked if there's nothing out there that isn't up your respective alleys.

shokhead
01-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Why limit yourself to the fogies? If you want to do that, fine, but if you're looking for new music that suits your tastes just read this board and others like it, and get your hands on a few comps that are flying around this place. There's a lot of new music out there, and certainly most of it will probably not be to your liking, but I'd be shocked if there's nothing out there that isn't up your respective alleys.

Oh there's a few newer things,foo fighter and 3 doors down and i've gotten into blues the last 10 years or so. Robert Cray,Gary Moore and a few others. I have a 20 and 18 year old daughter so i get a pretty good taste of whats out there. Not much good rock with somebody that can hold a note. Journey or Styx or Beatle type singing.