How's this top 10 list? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How's this top 10 list?

ForeverAutumn
12-31-2004, 03:20 PM
I've spent my day listening to our local (self-proclaimed) alternative radio station count down their top 102 (102.1 on the dial) songs of 2004. It has been a very enjoyable afternoon. Probably the best radio that I've heard all year! I even heard a Broken Social Scene song that didn't make me want to run for cover!

I was far too lazy to keep track of the full 102, but here's their top 10. It's not what I would have put in the top 10, but it's not too horrible (IMHO). Remember, this is songs not albums.

10) The Killers - Somebody Told Me
9) Incubus - Megalomania
8) Modest Mouse - Float On
7) Offspring - Hit That
6) Beastie Boys - Check It Out
5) Linkin' Park - Breaking the Habit
4) U2 - Vertigo
3) Outkast - Hey Ya
2) Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
1) Green Day - American Idiot

I would have left out the Offspring and Beastie Boys songs personally -- top 10?...I don't think so. I think I'd replace them with Jet's, Are You Gonna Be My Girl and The Tea Party's, Writing's On The Wall (which has one of the best riff's of 2004 IMO). Neither the U2 or Outkast songs would have made it on my list, but I can at least understand why it's in their's. The rest aren't bad choices in my mind.

Franz Ferdinand in the #2 spot was a bit of a surprise to me. American Idiot in #1 was expected. I would have been shocked if it didn't make #1. Top album of the year for me. :)

Finch Platte
12-31-2004, 05:03 PM
You're kidding, right?

Ewww.

fp

audiobill
01-01-2005, 08:11 AM
I've spent my day listening to our local (self-proclaimed) alternative radio station count down their top 102 (102.1 on the dial) songs of 2004. It has been a very enjoyable afternoon. Probably the best radio that I've heard all year! I even heard a Broken Social Scene song that didn't make me want to run for cover!

I was far too lazy to keep track of the full 102, but here's their top 10. It's not what I would have put in the top 10, but it's not too horrible (IMHO). Remember, this is songs not albums.

10) The Killers - Somebody Told Me
9) Incubus - Megalomania
8) Modest Mouse - Float On
7) Offspring - Hit That
6) Beastie Boys - Check It Out
5) Linkin' Park - Breaking the Habit
4) U2 - Vertigo
3) Outkast - Hey Ya
2) Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
1) Green Day - American Idiot

I would have left out the Offspring and Beastie Boys songs personally -- top 10?...I don't think so. I think I'd replace them with Jet's, Are You Gonna Be My Girl and The Tea Party's, Writing's On The Wall (which has one of the best riff's of 2004 IMO). Neither the U2 or Outkast songs would have made it on my list, but I can at least understand why it's in their's. The rest aren't bad choices in my mind.

Franz Ferdinand in the #2 spot was a bit of a surprise to me. American Idiot in #1 was expected. I would have been shocked if it didn't make #1. Top album of the year for me. :)

Hey, FA.

I agree that there aren't many surprises on this list. I used to love listening to 102 when it truly was alternative .......i.e., mid to late '70s. Unfortunately, now they select one great song from an album/cd and play it to death. I used to really like the new Green Day song, until they and countless other stations killed it. You'd think it was the only song on the entire cd.

Can't wait to see your top 10/20 of 2004.
Bill

ForeverAutumn
01-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey, FA.

I agree that there aren't many surprises on this list. I used to love listening to 102 when it truly was alternative .......i.e., mid to late '70s. Unfortunately, now they select one great song from an album/cd and play it to death. I used to really like the new Green Day song, until they and countless other stations killed it. You'd think it was the only song on the entire cd.

Can't wait to see your top 10/20 of 2004.
Bill

Boulevard of Broken Dreams was on the list up in the 90's for whatever that's worth.

As bad as 102 is, it's a whole lot better than it was in the late 90's and better than anything else we have to listen to. Which is a very sad statement when you think of the market potential in this city. What I really need is a satellite radio in my car. I'm just waiting for the technology, I'm sure it'll be standard equipment in a few short years.

As for my 2004 list....I'll have to take a look at my purchases this year. A lot of what I bought was just catching up on 2003 releases so I'm not sure that I have enough 2004 stuff to compile an actual list.