Upgrade time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade time

htfan14
12-31-2004, 11:54 AM
I have the Energy eXL26's driven by a Denon 3802, looking at the Energy Con. C-9. Sound great at the store but driven by a different amp. Anyone have a similair setup or experience with the C-9's?

Aric M L
01-02-2005, 03:42 PM
I've heard the C-9's and, while I couldn't afford them and may instead look to B&W of similar price to suit my taste, they were a fine performing speaker. The mid's were the high point of the speaker and they had a nice soundstage. Granted I was in a pretty excellent room as well with nothing between the speakers. You should give them a whirl.

htfan14
01-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Thank you for the response Aric.

RGA
01-07-2005, 05:55 PM
The C9 is very good but I have a few questions - firstly I have not heard you're current speaker - what is it that you don't like about them that would make you look at something else. Secondly I gather because of the receiver that you are mainly interested in home theater - so presumably you have or intend to buy a subwoofer. If this is the case then I would look at the C3 standmount and use the extra money for a subwoofer.

The C9 is about $1450.00Cdn and offers an excellent value for a floorstander compared to lots of others. Still one could buy the Audio Note AX Two standmount for $700.00Cdn($550.00US) which is a better loudspeaker and then purchase a $200.00 set of stands from Skylan and use the $550.00 left for a very good sub - other people can recommend subs. Actually you might not need a sub if the room is not too too big since the AX Two can thunder pretty good.

The trouble is Audio Note is not magnetically shielded so you would need to place them about a foot away from the tv screen. Also they are tough to find - and there are other good options - the B&W 602S3 and Dynaudio A42 - I don;t think either are quite as good and both cost more but they are probably easier to find as Audio Note so far only has about 25 dealers in North America. The Totem Rainmaker is a bit overpriced but it would fit here as well and it is a great looking speaker.

htfan14
01-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Your right, not enough info.
I use the system about 80/20 ht/music. I have 2 10" velodyne subs so plenty of bass. I'm looking for a little more mid-range punch. For HT I have no real complaints, quite happy with the setup. When I listen to music, using the 2 mains and subs, the sound is not as impressive as I would like. The C-9's are selling for $1200 CDn locally right now, plus a dealer that carries them will give me the $600.00 I paid for the exl26's last Jan.
The same dealer also carries B & W, so I will see if he has 602s3 or any other at comparable cost.
I have not heard of Audio Note before.

kexodusc
01-11-2005, 09:38 AM
htfan14:

As much as I like the Connoisseurs (newsflash: There's Connoisseur Reference line coming in May!), the C-9 is probably not the best way to go for you.

You would be much further ahead, as RGA said, to go with the C-3's, which in my opinion are not only as good a speaker in the midrange, but actually present a better soundstage than the larger floorstanders of the same line. With the money you save you can look at buying the C-C3 center channel. And they're not as bothersome to move as the big C-9's.

I'd argue that for your purposes, there's absolutely no value in spending $200 stands, either, you can do quite well using $2 rubber isolators and some felt that will cut down on alot of the vibrations being transferred to cheaper stands. Don't go too cheap though. Steel or MDF would be preferable, not very hollow, and the heavier the better. It's nice if you fill them with sand, but not necessary.
The bumpers, or screw mounts on top, and the feet on the bottom are really important.
The less physical contact point between the speaker and the stand, and the stand's base and the floor, the less energy (and undesireable resonance) is transferred from speaker, to stand, to floor. There's a point where superior stands begin to add absolutely no audible value to the system.
As much as I love my Skylans, after doing some A/B's with older, cheap stands I have with felt and rubber bumpers, I've come to realize I've been dupped somewhat by audiomyth when it relates to stands. I'd recommend one of the inexpensive offerings from Sanus or Vogel, but if you really want to splurge ($100 or so) alot of people I meet in the pro-audio world are quite high on these...not the prettiest, but everyone I know is impressed with them:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-744

htfan14
01-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the input Kex, that's not a bad option. I have the Con. C-C1 centre right now and I've heard the C-C3 is killer. It's almost twive the price but with the savings on the C-3 compared to the C-9 it would be do-able. I prefer floorstanders, maybe C-5 with the C-C3? I'm going to go have a closer listen to both today.
I changed my sub placement from kitty corner, front and back, to stereo style beside the mains and really like the results. I hav'nt had a chance to listen to any music or DVD's yet, but 24 and Boston Legal on HD sounded great!