Open Water! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Open Water!

Mark4583
12-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Just finished watching this DvD and this DvD needs to be Float Tested!
One of the Worse films Ive seen yet!
All but the last 5 min is boreing to say the least!
Dont waist yout time on this.

eisforelectronic
12-31-2004, 12:38 AM
didn't we already review this?

PPG
01-05-2005, 01:55 PM
I cannot understand the folks who slam this so badly. This is, IMO, an intensely realistically-acted and terrifying movie. The way it was shot (on digital video) and scripted, it comes across much more like reality than your typical Hollywood film. You feel like you're right there in the water with that couple and this makes Jaws pale in comparison, especially the night-time scene. How the heck can someone see this and call it boring?

t3chi3
01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I loved it. It scared the pants off of me and the wife (a good thing wink)

Hairsonfire
01-11-2005, 05:04 AM
Just finished watching this DvD and this DvD needs to be Float Tested!
One of the Worse films Ive seen yet!
All but the last 5 min is boreing to say the least!
Dont waist yout time on this.

This is an excellent movie. you must have been hoping for a car chase or an explosion every five minutes.

Mark4583
01-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Na I just didnt like it, Also its suppose to be based on a true story, If they both died, How do they know? Could have been a better movie, I remember when Jaws came out, it scared the crap out of me, this movie did nothing. Im a Navy vet, and I have floated in the Indian Ocean for several hrs, now that scared the crap out of me, all I could think of was Jaws! lol

Hairsonfire
01-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Na I just didnt like it, Also its suppose to be based on a true story, If they both died, How do they know? Could have been a better movie, I remember when Jaws came out, it scared the crap out of me, this movie did nothing. Im a Navy vet, and I have floated in the Indian Ocean for several hrs, now that scared the crap out of me, all I could think of was Jaws! lol

It's just that taste is so subjective. It annoys me when people make sweeping generalizations about something that is not so easily quantifiable.

Mark4583
01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
I didnt see the Idiot comment until you said sorry! hehe
I just get tired of seeing all these great reviews on the TV saying how great a movie is and the trailers take the movie out of contex and when I go to see a movie that looks like one that I would like it turns out to be nothing like I expected , there for makeing me dislike the movie even more. I may see Open Water again several months later on HBO and love it.
I could not stand Austin Powers when I first seen it, but one saturday morning half hung over it was on and it became one of my favorites. But im not sure if thats good or bad, but thats just me :-)

Worf101
01-21-2005, 07:44 AM
about this movie when it first came out. Folks either love it or hate it. I liked it. I thought the direct to video filming was great. I thought the idea of feeling claustrophobic in Open Water was amazing. And all the time in the back of my mind I'm going... this is a true story.. this is a true story...

Wow...

Da Worfster :D

Mark4583
01-22-2005, 03:11 PM
At least it wasnt full of FX, seems like all the movies today have to be loaded with FX and they dont put any thought into the movie itself, They expect the audience to be blown away with FX and Computer amination and pay a bunch on critics to say how great the movie was.

smreed32
01-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi again,

I meant to ask this in my last post, but forgot. My Samsung DLP TV has a DVI input on it, but I am currently using very nice Audioquest YIQ-3 component video cables instead of the DVI. I know that by going with DVI there is no digital to analog and back to digital conversion, but I would like some feedback regarding whether or not I really would get any better quality video by going to DVI over the high-end component cables. I would be running the DVI from my cable box to my TV, as my current DVD player does not have a DVI port.

Thanks...

smreed32
01-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Sorry...I posted this question in the wrong area...meant to put it in the HT section...my bad

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-23-2005, 04:02 PM
At least it wasnt full of FX, seems like all the movies today have to be loaded with FX and they dont put any thought into the movie itself, They expect the audience to be blown away with FX and Computer amination and pay a bunch on critics to say how great the movie was.

Actually, this is illegal, and would subject a studio to a huge anti-trust case. Not to long ago, Warner got busted for making up not only the reviewers names, but their comments as well. When the FCC got through slappin that azz, several Warner executives lost their jobs. I think this is the last thing we have to worry about.