What's most important to you when making a compilation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's most important to you when making a compilation?

Finch Platte
12-17-2003, 05:25 AM
So I'm tossing and turning, losing sleep over the fact only one person wanted a copy of my latest comp opus, 'Heavy Hangers.' :p With that in mind, I'd like to find out what you kids think of when you're making a comp.

Not pothering, just wondering.

Please note you may vote for more than one- hopefully in order of importance.

fp

P.S. #1 is 'It's got to have a b!tchin' cover. That's all that matters.'

Jim Clark
12-17-2003, 06:49 AM
So I'm tossing and turning, losing sleep over the fact only one person wanted a copy of my latest comp opus, 'Heavy Hangers.' :p With that in mind, I'd like to find out what you kids think of when you're making a comp.

My stated goal has been to create a comp that nobody wants. Not Nobody, but "nobody". Not really of course but there are times when I feel that's where I'm heading. Since you asked, I can't vote for any of the choices you've included in your poll although I can see you went to great effort to include as many options as possible (I'd bet even money you were just monkeying around though!). I'd vote for an option that said something like-It's music I like but I'd still like to give out as many as possible.

Comps are tough issues for me to deal with sometimes. At this particular time I've got three that I haven't even listened to at all. I simply have too much music to digest right now and personally would prefer to request year end comps right now and that's it. Still need to make time for some seasonal music too and I've been largely neglecting that this holiday season.

Then there's the reciprocating issue you mention. I am very comfortable with the knowledge that nobody I trade with is keeping score. Still, I feel uncomfortable knowing I'm "falling behind" with more than a couple of folks. Totally irrational on my part but I can't seem to avoid it. I've noticed some others with a similar mindset but I won't mention any names.

If you have a year end comp planned-put me down for one but know in advance that payback is a *****. (revenge?)

jc

tugmcmartin
12-17-2003, 07:12 AM
For the most part my comps have one singular goal, which is to have a compilation of music that i like and that i want to listen too. I then will offer that up to the group in hopes that maybe a few people will take the leap and try something they probably haven't heard before. If i get some takers, great. If i don't, i surely don't lose sleep over it ;). I'm pretty certain that there are maybe only 3 folks that in here that have liked anything i've sent out on a semi-regular basis, which is okay. I know that my favorite type of music isn't even on the radar screen for 99% of the people in this forum. And the ones that do listen to the same stuff probably already have lots of what i offer up anyway. Thus the seemingly always low request numbers for my comps.

JC mentioned something about "keeping score" with traders. Like him, i also feel pretty bad sometimes that i haven't reciprocated enough with some folks that send me a lot of stuff. I think i'm "behind" about 10 cds to Jack70 and am falling behind to JDaniel too (Congrats on your good news JD, BTW. And thanks for the nice card, it was above and beyond what was necessary but my wife and i appreciated it.). And i still have that jazz mystery CD i want to send out to a select few, but haven't had the time to put it together yet. Probably after the new year i'll get to it.

Anyway, the most important thing in making a comp to me is that i like the music.

T-

Troy
12-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Satisfy yourself. Others will follow . . . or not.

I DO like the idea of a prog comp with songs under 3 minutes though . . .

Dave_G
12-17-2003, 08:12 AM
DO like the idea of a prog comp with songs under 3 minutes though . . .

You would!

Dave

Swish
12-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Just busting on you Finch. I see that YECH hasn't visited us for some time, probably because of all the comp talk, eh? Anyhoot, my comps, of which there are very few, are always toons that I like. Why would I put stuff on them that I don't like? Hey, I really like receiving them in hopes that I'll find some good new music, but I don't often have enough "fresh" material to put one of my own together. By the time I get around to making one, most of the tracks have been used by someone else.

Swish

Davey.
12-17-2003, 10:30 AM
I voted for both "It's music <i>I</i> like" and "It's got to flow, man" although I'm not sure those two together describe what's most important to me. I do put comps together to satisfy myself, but I don't put them together <i>for</i> myself, although I do tend to play them a LOT when I make one I really like. I almost always have someone or some group of people in mind when I do one to try and keep it on track, but not usually a theme. Admittedly though, sometimes it's only a vague notion of who it is for and what the comp will sound like. The year-end comp I just did is an example. I had initially just planned on sending it to some friends and family so wanted to make it a little bit generic without anything too weird or melancholy or just plain inaccessible on it. And that's kind of what I wound up with so decided to just offer it up since I figured most people would at least find it listenable, even if it didn't tickle any sweet spots. I was pretty surprised at the response. Not sure what triggered so may requests (16) but maybe it was just because it seemed kind of safe. Or maybe there hadn't been much comp talk lately. Or who knows, sometimes a comp will just strike the fancy of a whole group and sometimes the same basic comp will bomb. I've had both :)

tentoze
12-17-2003, 10:31 AM
With that in mind, I'd like to find out what you kids think of when you're making a comp.

I'll wade in here with similar ideas as those already in response: I throw stuff together that I like to hear, then maybe a few others around here will be willing to give 'em a spin once or twice. If I was playing to an audience, this wouldn't be the full audience to play to, simply because the diversity of musical tastes here would be impossible to assuage on a single comp, and I wouldn't have the kind of tunes available to interest a number of the regulars here, anyway.

:)

PPG
12-17-2003, 01:59 PM
I voted for flow, but of course, the music has to be stuff I like or think someone else might like, but after that, flow is what I sweat over the most. I've thrown out a lot of cd-r's on one project just because the sequence wasn't right.

Hey guys, anyone heard from RPM?

Troy
12-17-2003, 04:20 PM

No, come to think it, I haven't . . .

Finch Platte
12-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Did you miss this post on the old board?

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/crforum?viewall@12.OrJ3awVdmQO.0@.efa0a28

fp

Now, see, this is what irks me about this board. How is Troy gonna see this, since I answered to PPG?

Troy
12-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Now, see, this is what irks me about this board. How is Troy gonna see this, since I answered to PPG?

It's right there at the bottom of the list, ya whiner.

Now go drink some gin . . .

PPG
12-18-2003, 06:01 AM
Did you miss this post on the old board?

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/crforum?viewall@12.OrJ3awVdmQO.0@.efa0a28

fp

Uh...well, no Finch, I didn't see that - you know I've been here on and off, mostly off lately. Still hate the new format - it sucks big-time. Hey, Davey! I'm no longer invisible!!

Finch Platte
12-18-2003, 06:08 AM
It's right there at the bottom of the list

Whaddya mean- where am I not looking?

fp

Troy
12-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Whaddya mean

When I hit the site this AM I saw that this thread had moved to the top of the pile because there were new post(s). So I clicked on it and scrolled to the bottom of the list and there you were. It doesn't matter who you respond to, the post is gonna be there. If I look at the thread, how can I miss it?

Troy
12-18-2003, 08:03 AM
...and that's a big butt- you have to look at the post to find that out. What am I gonna do, look at every frickin' post to see if someone is talking to me? Are you talkin' to me???

And don't tell me to be notified by email. Those emails were showing up days after they were posted.

Ahoohooohooo. Where's the smilie with the tears???? And how come everytime I see the word 'smilies' I think it's 'similies'?

Goddam it. Life sucks. At least I get to go to work today.

fp

Ya big baby!

Yes, if I look at the column on the left, you'll see that the threads that you posted to have a black dot. Personally, if I'm posting there, i'm gonna want to see what the new posts are anyway, so YES, I am gonna click on it anyway. Why would someone talk to you in a post that you haven't been involved in?

Smilies are for 12 year old girls.

And yes, the e-mail notification got turned off the first day.

Now go to work.

Finch Platte
12-18-2003, 08:06 AM
When I hit the site this AM I saw that this thread had moved to the top of the pile because there were new post(s). So I clicked on it and scrolled to the bottom of the list and there you were. It doesn't matter who you respond to, the post is gonna be there. If I look at the thread, how can I miss it?

...and that's a big butt- you have to look at the post to find that out. What am I gonna do, look at every frickin' post to see if someone is talking to me? Are you talkin' to me???

And don't tell me to be notified by email. Those emails were showing up days after they were posted.

Ahoohooohooo. Where's the smilie with the tears???? And how come everytime I see the word 'smilies' I think it's 'similies'?

Goddam it. Life sucks. At least I get to go to work today.

fp

Finch Platte
12-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Why would someone talk to you in a post that you haven't been involved in?

That's a damn dumb question. you mean you've never done that?

fp

Hey, what's this quick reply thingy? Cool.

Dave_G
12-19-2003, 07:16 AM
What IS this quick reply biz anyhow.

We are all turning into geeks.

Dave