how much difference would this make.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how much difference would this make....

derekwwww
12-30-2004, 11:50 AM
how much difference would it make changing from 16 gauge no name wire to 12 guage lightning audio (car audio) wire? the 16 guage i am using now has the + wire copper and the other wire is aluminum (i am guessing anyways its grey). Would it make a difference changing to the all copper lightning audio (which is supposed to be good wire in car audio).
Wire is just a short run.

thanks

Pat D
12-30-2004, 09:42 PM
how much difference would it make changing from 16 gauge no name wire to 12 guage lightning audio (car audio) wire? the 16 guage i am using now has the + wire copper and the other wire is aluminum (i am guessing anyways its grey). Would it make a difference changing to the all copper lightning audio (which is supposed to be good wire in car audio).
Wire is just a short run.

thanks
As you have noticed, aluminum tends to oxidize, so it may not keep the best connection, so changing to copper may well make for a better connection in the long term.

The difference in gauges should not be sonically significant for short runs, even some fairly long runs. The following article contains a table for gauge, length, and the impedance of the speakers.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm