Velodyne VX10 / JBL E250 / JBL PB12 / PSB Subsonic 5 ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne VX10 / JBL E250 / JBL PB12 / PSB Subsonic 5 ?

AVJunior
12-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I am staying in a small town here which you could hardly find a Sub like SVS or HSU.
The most i can find is listed below:

JBL E250
JBL PB12
Velodyne VX 10
PSB Subsonic 5

However these equipments are quite expensive in my country. Any one of these would cost me over $300! All the big brothers out there, plz advice which one of those u prefer.
I don't really like boomy sound, i'd rather go for something which really goes 30Hz and below. I've gone through some good reviews on the JBL E250, saying that it is a great improvement for JBL. How would u grade it if compared to the rest listed above?

Thanks for the advice!

Worf101
12-30-2004, 08:20 AM
I am staying in a small town here which you could hardly find a Sub like SVS or HSU.
The most i can find is listed below:

JBL E250
JBL PB12
Velodyne VX 10
PSB Subsonic 5

However these equipments are quite expensive in my country. Any one of these would cost me over $300! All the big brothers out there, plz advice which one of those u prefer.
I don't really like boomy sound, i'd rather go for something which really goes 30Hz and below. I've gone through some good reviews on the JBL E250, saying that it is a great improvement for JBL. How would u grade it if compared to the rest listed above?

Thanks for the advice!

I used to have a JB: PB12, while servicable for me a lot of folks had problems with it. I'd avoid it if I were you...

Da Worfster

Iskreemman
12-30-2004, 08:27 AM
I've had my PB12 for 3 years now and have not ran into any problems with it...but a lot of people haven't been as lucky as me so...It can sound Boomy sometimes

AVJunior
12-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Ok. How about the rest listed above? Anyone heard of the JBL E250? I've heard the PSB Subsonic 5, it can go quite low, but not loud enough...any idea?

SpankingVanillaice
12-31-2004, 09:51 AM
I have heard the JBL E250 and they sound way better than the JBL PB12. Like the sound is more punchy and more percise like studio bass. I love them alot as much as the JBL S120P.

jimmymagick
01-04-2005, 01:50 PM
.For what it's worth, I have the Velodyne vx 10 and am very happy with it. I was avoiding adding a sub to my system--didn't want that boomy, bass heavy sound--but the vx 10 is the most musical sounding sub I heard in my price range. Integrates beautifully with my old JBL 4311 studio monitors.

I paid around $300 for it a year ago but now I see prices from $150 on up.

One caveat: my listening room is only about 11 x 11 so I don't know what results you'll get in a larger room.

AVJunior
01-04-2005, 04:56 PM
thanks for the info, but the rated frequency response for vx 10 is 36Hz - 120Hz, n do u think it can please me in a 15 X 12 room?

3db
01-06-2005, 05:52 AM
I've measured my PSB Subsonic 5's response with a rat shack meter and some test tones and it will go down to 30 Hz without loosing too much energy. I did this several monthes back so I forget what the end reading was but from what Iremember, it was all relative to 70db (averaged response from 30 Hz to 100 Hz output.) Everyone was sleeping so I didn't want to wake them up.

The subsonic5i was tested last year by Sound And Vision and it had the fllattest frequency response of all subs tested . I know they tested a JBL sub but I don't remember the model. What that flat response gives you is an easier time of integration with your L/R speakers.

Its a hardworking sub and great for HT but quick enough with music. Good luck

N. Abstentia
01-06-2005, 07:03 AM
I wouldn't bother with either of the JBL's, Velo and PSB are far and away better products. I would probably opt for PSB myself.

Also keep in mind that frequency responce written on paper and freqency response once you get it in your room are two totally different things. Either of those subs will do a good 30hz no problem.

But if you're worried about filling up a large room, you might want to sping for a sub with a larger amp and larger driver.