"that" guy looking for audio advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "that" guy looking for audio advice

highsandlows
12-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Been a member of various forums in the past, but admitably am usually an expert in the area in question. I find myself today in the position of being that guy that is in need of assistance.

I am looking to put together a new surround system and am interested in your input. I have a relatively small room to work with for now, but would like the ability to grow when we build another home. I am looking to spend between $1,000 - $ 1,500 which will include a new receiver and at least the mains, possibly some smaller surrounds if possible. My audio knowledge doesn't stop at pro logic, but admitably is minimal when it comes to the difference of 5.1, 6.1, & 7.1 and the values associated with them. Not looking for extreme audio, just something that will be better than average and provide me with the flexibility to grow. Currently looking at an Onkyo 7.1, Denon 6.1, or possibly a HK or Yamaha. Looking to Polk or Klipsch for speaker,

I am open to any suggestions however and thank you for your input.

I wish you all a happy holiday - that guy

midfiguy
12-30-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey That Guy,

Okay, first off, I think 7.1 is a misnomer. As far as I know, there isn't really a discrete 7.1 available to the home theater crowd at the moment. I think the only discrete that exists right now is the Sony SDDS that is only in theaters. 6.1 does exists, but the only discrete version to my knowledge is DTS-ES discrete which is only avail on a "relatively" limited amount of the movies. Dolby Digital EX and THX-EX are actually 5.1 formats with an additional rear surround channel "matrixed" or derived from the other surround channels. This page will help, check it out:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

Anyways, it would be nice to get a reciever that has 6.1/7.1 capability because the extra channels might be an added benefit if you like the "ambience" they offer. You have a small room at the moment, but always think to the future and in the event you ever move into a larger room, those extra "channels" may become useful.

You already have the right brands in mind when it comes to good recievers at your price range. I think they only one you left out of the "Big 5" as I like to call it, would be Marantz, which also makes IMO excellent recievers. I don't think you really can go wrong with a reciever from any of those brands, even their entry level surround ones.

Why only Klipsch and Polk for speakers? I personally love Klipsch and think they offer excellent bang for the buck. However, if you're buying a new system, please audition as many speakers as possible, preferable on the equipment you are going to buy and in the same room if at all possible.

Other brands to also consider:

JBL
Infinity
B&W 300/600 series
NHT
PSB

Well, hope this all helps, good luck and shoot any other questions our way!

shokhead
12-30-2004, 07:14 AM
I never liked the horn for a tweeder on the Klipsch and Polks are everyway and when i compared them to others,sounded on the cheap side but that could have just been the room. If on a budget,dont worry about THX,6.1/7.1. Worry more about connections,optical/coaxtial,S-video,component and analog outputs for dvd-a&sacd. First settle on the reciever,then listen to speakers with your music. Now its been awhile since i've done this so maybe its changed so my advice could be old. Everything is on sale sometime.

highsandlows
01-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will continue to take everything you guys have mentioned into account and try to keep you posted on what I decide.
:)

bacchanal
01-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Midfiguy made some good points.

I was in your same situation not too long ago. I had a pretty similar budget to begin with. I spent around $700 on a Yamaho RX-V 740, and a C740 dvd player, then I spent about $1000 on some paradigm Studio40V2s and some stands. I basically went as cheap as possible with cables to begin with. Since then I've upgraded my cable a little (nothing extravagant), and I've added a PDR-10 sub and a Pro-ject 1.2 turntable. The PDR-10 was a PAIN to set up BTW, but it was worth it in the long run.

Basically I would recommend putting your money into your mains, if you're into music. Go for a good 2.0/2.1 system with the cabability to upgrade. If you're more into surround HT, invest more in the reciever and in some surrounds that can serve as mains for now, and be moved to surrounds later if you want. Oh, and you'll need a sub for HT as well. I hate to be such a fanboy, but Paradigm Atoms make good inexpensive surrounds if you're looking into an HT setup.