Left Over Bose Jewel Cubes. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Left Over Bose Jewel Cubes.

JohnBee
12-29-2004, 08:46 PM
This is going to be daring question, what question isn't with bose in it ; )...Anyway, my father gave me two leftover bose jewel cubes. They are smallest ones, im sure you all are aware. Anyways I'm upgrading my 5.1 onkyo reciever to a 7.1. If you look at my specs youll see im running all mirage speakers besides my sub. The question is, should i sell the bose on ebay, or should i just keep them to run 7.1? Next question. If i was to use them would i use them as the sides or the very rear? Ok final question. What about using just one as a rear center...Ive never had them hooked up to my system nor have i heared them in my fathers home...just in the bose store and they sound decent for free speakers...Should I ditch them?

markw
12-29-2004, 09:22 PM
...nor have i heared them in my fathers home...just in the bose store and they sound decent for free speakers....If you jus have the "cubes" and no bass box, then they are fairly useless. That bass box prevents any bass from getting through to the teeny tiny little paper drivers in those cute little boxes, which are only speced down to about 280 hz or so and probably won't handle much power down in hte nether regions. If you DO have the entire set, they might be barely adequate in a role that will call as little attention to them as possible. Surrounds at the sides or the rear might minimize their "contribution" to the sound.

Woochifer
12-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Ditch them. They're not a good option for a 7.1 setup for a variety of reasons.

First off, the Bose cubes are not designed to plug directly into a receiver. They need to be hooked through the bass module since that's where the crossover is located. Even with the receiver speaker setup set to "Small" the Bose cubes cannot handle the low frequency output and it won't take much to overload them. Also, the Bose cubes use RCA plugs rather than bare speaker wire at one end.

Even if you could plug them into the cubes into the receiver and it had enough low end capacity to play without distorting and/or blowing, using them in a 7.1 setup won't work well at all because their voicing will likely not match the Mirages by a long shot.

eisforelectronic
12-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Bose Bad

midfiguy
12-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I think you'll get a decent amount of money for them on ebay. I would go that route (for the reasons mentioned above) and take the funds to buy a decent rear center if you wish.

JohnBee
12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
sounds good to ebay they go...thanks!

midfiguy
12-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Look on ebay for "Bose Jewel" and you'll see that they are selling for a decent amount of money!